Tuesday, May 16, 2023

A Dozen Years Ago Today (as in the 16th, when I am typing this)....

...I started this blog. I can hardly believe it has been that long. It has been quite a ride, one for which I am very grateful (proper sentence structure brought to you by my mother's training--sometimes it kicks in). ;)

During the 12 years I have been blogging, Lori at Humble Quilts blog has hosted a doll quilt swap 10 of those years. This is only my second year participating. I haven't received my quilt yet, but the gal I sent to has received hers so I can share it with you. This is the doll quilt I made. It is from a pattern from Jo Morton's Little Women's Club #14, I believe.

I took several glamor shots around the house before I sent it on its way, but the one below is the only one I even kind of liked.


I combined a little bit of hand quilting with the machine quilting. In the blue/grey triangles I hand quilted a grid pattern on point. I don't know if you can see it any better in this shot of the back.

When I receive my quilt I will share it with you in my next post. I am looking forward to it.










I amazed myself and pushed past my usual tendency to postpone attaching borders, and today I put a small border around my Moda Love quilt top. This was made in conjunction with Chooky and friends at Scrub Stitchin', where many at that retreat completed one of these quilts. 


When I cut these borders I barely had enough of this piece of a Kansas Troubles green print to cut 4 1/2" strips for the border. I got them all cut and as I laid them out around the completed center, I realized I had cut the last one at 4" instead of 4 1/2". There was only a strip about 2" wide left after having cut these. There was nothing left to do but go back and trim 1/2" off the other 3 borders. I would have liked the border to be a little wider, but I did what I could, and I still think this looks better with that small border than with no border at all. I felt like I needed to balance the green in the center.





On Mother's Day I finished the puzzle I've had out for months--Northern Lights in Norway. The sky and sea parts were a bit challenging, but I like a little challenge now and then. I thought it was fun that I had this puzzle out when we saw the Northern Lights here a few weeks ago.






I hope people had a pleasant Mother's Day. Though we did not have family gather, I did hear from each of my 4 children. My younger daughter, who doesn't live far, and also works with a local florist, brought by this lovely bouquet. It just represents spring so well, to me.








I'll leave you with this image from my sewing room window. It is finally looking like Springtime in the Rockies! You can click to enlarge for a better view of the new lambs.


I usually have some sort of giveaway for those who are following along, in conjunction with my blog anniversary, but I haven't got my act together. I've been sick the past week. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!  Stay tuned for something later this month!

Until then, be creative and be kind!

Janet O.

30 comments:

  1. Lovely post Janet, your mini quilt and quilting are stunning. Your Moda love top is lovely too, beautiful flowers and that jigsaw is wonderful. Fantastic view from your window. Hope you are feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore your mini, Janet...just looks so much like you! That is such a fun Carpenter Star, and I need to make one, like you and Annie are doing. What a lovely vista...looks like home to me, in Colorado. Hope you feel better soon! This is Julie, by the way, if it does not come through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your little swap quilt is spectacular as always! I love all of the colors and fabrics you used. I am sure the recipient is thrilled! You are so lucky to be able to see the northern lights from where you live. Did you get any photos? The flowers are so pretty and colorful. I hope that you don't have Covid as I know firsthand how miserable that can be. Congratulations on your anniversary! Time goes by faster and faster the older you get and I don't understand why. I haven't been commenting lately because I have had some setbacks and am way behind on reading my emails. I hope to catch up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. (Little Penpen) someone is very lucky and blessed to receive the little doll quilt from you. Just beautiful! Happy #16 blogversary! Yours is one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet swap quilt. Love the subtle colors. Been there, done that with the cutting. I have it all in my mind and ###. You had a good save. I agree that the quilt needed a border. Whew!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha! I love how you followed your correctly structured sentence! ;) Janet, your mini is spectacular! Worthy of the close-up, for sure! When I first saw your puzzle, I thought maybe it was another photo you’d captured! Fun finish! Your flowers are lovely. Happy (belated) Mother’s Day to you! And lots of hugs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those tulips are stunning, so beautiful. Wonderful tiny quilts esp the HQ swap quilt. Lucky lady to rec one of your treasures.

    Congrats on 12 blog years! I started my blog 2009, so for me 14 years in October. Trite but true--time really does fly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fantastic little quilt! I love all the photos of it!! This is the first year I have missed Lori's swap in quite a few years. They are always so wonderful. Yours is just fabulous. I think that Moda quilt top would make a wonderful "barn quilt". Just in case you find yourself with nothing to do.LOL! Love the view from your sewing room. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your little swap quilt! I've done that same "trick" with your green border, frustrating but it looks great. I have yet to see the Northern Lights although others in my area have. Its on my bucket list!

    ReplyDelete
  10. stunning swap quilt...but they always are janet! oh such lovely flowers...working on my moda love quilt bit by bit, will be ready to show one of these days....and oh i love puzzles too! that one is a beauty

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your little doll quilt. I was just thinking today that I haven’t finished a single project so far this year because there are no more “monthly minis” and all my time is going to big, long term projects. Maybe I should do at least one mini so I can finish something!🙂. I would have done the same thing you did with the border of your Moda Love quilt - definitely looks good with a border and I don’t think 1/2 inch made a difference. Your photo of the sky, mountains, and sheep/lambs is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Blogaversary. I wish you many many more. Your doll quilt is cute and adorable. And of course I love the Moda Love quilt. Yes, the border finishes it nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is one very fortunate swap partner, your doll quilt is simply exquisite! Congratulations on your 12tn blog anniversary!
    My 11th is tomorrow, but will there be a post, not likely! Not much progress to report. Your mother's day bouquet is gorgeous, some of my favorite colors. Springtime in the mountains is certainly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I’m sure your quilt recipient would have been thrilled with your quilt. The glamour shot shows it off beautifully. I agree that the border on Moda Love finishes it off nicely. What will you bind it with? It was fun having you join us in making this quilt. I love the view from your window. I wonder how you get anything done with that view to distract you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your dolls swap quilt is stunning as always Janet 💙 Just adore the colours you have chosen. Your flowers from your daughter are beautiful - so pretty. I think it is Us that should be giving you a gift ... 12 years of blogging is amazing! Well done - always such a great blog to stop by & visit. xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. The blogging years have been kind to you....12 years? Then I'm about the same too. beautiful Mothers Day flowers, what a magical view from your sewing room, that would distract me no end!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your swap quilt. I didn't participate this year but followed along and saw some beauties. It's always great to see a photo from your place, such a spectacular view. And congrats on the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't know why I came up as anonymous?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations! I have no idea how many years I was blogging for...I'd have to look back at the old blog books I had made back in the day! lol Love your swap quilt! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I met you through the Blog, then in person at Jennifer's Book Signing. This is the 1st year in a while I haven't swapped in Lori's Doll Quilt Swap. I love your doll quilt. adding a little Hand stitching to it makes it even sweeter. Happy 12 Years Blog-o-versary!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your doll quilt is adorable! I have done several of the swaps, but not lately. My 2 sons who live far from us called me and I got a couple cards with sweet notes on them. Of course we have one son living close to us and he took us out for dinner after church. It's hard to believe that our 3 sons are all in their 50s now. Sometimes I feel a little sad that they aren't little boys any longer, but it is great to have 3 grown men who are doing well in their lives. I haven't been very faithful with blogging for a while, but don't want to give it up yet,

    ReplyDelete
  22. I hope you feel better soon! Twelve years is a lot of blogging years. I love your doll quilt! I participated in Lori's swap a few times, really fun. Lovely flowers from your daughter. I can't get over your view from your sewing room. I know you know how fortunate you are!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congratulations on your 12th year of blogging! That's how long I've been at it, too! Love your little doll quilt and Moda Love looks great with a border. What a perfect puzzle to finish on Mother's Day. Your bouquet of flowers is so pretty! Wow, what a view! New little lambs?? How sweet! I hope you are feeling better :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congratulations on your blogaversary!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your little quilt is so beautiful. The colors are so perfectly chosen and they all work so well together. The little pops of yellow are delightful.
    Your Mother's Day flowers are gorgeous. The petals almost look luminous. With a different background the photo would look wonderful enlarged and framed.
    What a view you have!
    I hope you're feeling better. And belated Happy Blogiversary.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful doll quilt and lucky participant!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Janet, I haven't posted on my blog for over two years as my husband passed away two year ago but I do view and comment some of my Blog friends. As I think we started our blogs about the same years . Love your reminiscing of your quilt swapping aways enjoy your quilts and the civil war look! God Bless you and your family. Carolyn Hosier

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congrats on your blogiversary .... yes, where does the time go? The doll quilt is adorable and I like to combine machine and hand quilting together on the same quilt. Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm so happy you are still blogging! I always enjoy seeing what you are up to. The little doll quilt is just wonderful. I love the colors and your beauty shot is so pretty.
    Love the norway puzzle! I just got back from Norway but I didn't see the northern lights. boo hoo.
    What a pretty spring bouquet for Mothers Day.
    Sorry you've been ill - I hope by now you are well and feeling fine.
    Stunning view from your sewing room! wow~ it always amazes me.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your sunset pictures are always lovely, so nice! #3 snowmen set would be nice, it'd push me out of my envelope of civil war repro world. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

I love to have your comments and feedback.