This flag was made based on a flag I saw in 2011 on Sarah's blog (Sarah Did It). It was from a kit from Calico Gals that I couldn't seem to find available anywhere anymore. So using the photos from Sarah's blog and the Calico Gal's blog, I decided to try my own version. I wanted a smaller one and thought that the Primitive Gatherings Tiny Tumbler template would do the trick. I have had many questions about this quilt, so I decided to post this tutorial. Since I had no pattern, I am not saying this is the only, or even the best, way to do things. This is just how I did it. Hope it helps.
First off, I cut my pieces with the Primitive Gatherings Tiny Tumbler. The fabrics came from my R/W/B scrap basket. The pieces need to be almost 2" to accommodate the approximate 1 3/4" template.
I used 42 red tumblers, 32 white/cream tumblers, and 17 blue tumblers. Using a variety of shades within the colors will give more of a feeling of "waving". I laid them out (I used a design board) in flag formation.
If you have never worked with the tumbler shape before, you will want to be aware of how to put them together.
DON'T match up the corners, like this.
You want to have the 1/4" seam allowance peeking out from under the tumbler on top. This gives you the straight edges on top and bottom of each row after you open up the tumblers and press them. As I sewed the tumblers together I pressed the seams to the lighter fabric. I don't know why I did that. I would recommend pressing them to the darker fabric. As I sewed the rows together I pressed those seams open.
After making each of the rows I sewed the rows together to create the flimsy.
At this point I layered it up. I opted to finish with the "inside-out" method, rather than binding. So I placed my flimsy top and my backing with right sides together. I used flannel for my batting, as I didn't want bulky batting in my seams. The flannel goes on the bottom of the pile.
Using my walking foot, I stitched in 1/4" around the edge of the flimsy, leaving about one half of the middle of one short end unstitched.
This is what it looked like when I finished and flipped it over. You can see the opening on the left hand side, below. My opening was a little tight, so I would leave it a little more open than what you see.
Using the edge of the top as my guide, I trimmed away the excess backing and flannel
Now I trimmed the points off of the ridges...
...and the corners. I was trying to cut down on bulk when I would turn it right-side out, but was careful not to clip too close to the stitches.
Where there were indentations in the sides I would clip out a little wedge, again, to reduce bulk. I tried to keep the scissors a few threads from the seams.
Now I turned the whole thing right-side out.
Using a round ended paper-embossing tool, I pushed out the corners and ridges. Then I hand-stitched the open end closed. I machine quilted it at this point. I did stars and loops in navy thread in the blue section. Using matching threads I stitched wavy, crossing lines through the stripes.
I added the loops to the back afterward because I decided I wanted to hang it. You could include them when you are doing the seam if you choose.
This little quilt finished at 8 1/4" x 12 1/4". That is less than half the size of the original on Calico Gals.
If there are any questions that I haven't addressed here, please let me know and I will try to answer, if I know the answer. : )