Wednesday, June 7, 2023

The Well-Traveled Quilt!

I mentioned in my last post that I was awaiting the arrival of the doll quilt I was to receive from the Humble Quilts 10th annual doll quilt swap. Little did I know that it had already arrived--and been sent back again, due to an error on the part of my local post office. Happy to announce that it was sent again by the talented creator, Marian Edwards of Victoria Australia, and it arrived yesterday! Here it is!



Isn't this adorable? If you ever followed Marian's blog (not active, but still there), or currently follow her on Instagram, you will recognize her style. It is just perfect. It is all hand quilted, and washed to give it that scrunchy, vintage look. Lori tells us the quilts are to look like they traveled through time, and Marian has always been so good at that. Here are a couple of other shots from my photo shoot with it.

It finished at 9 1/2" x 12".

Even though Marian works with 1800s repro fabrics (and some consider those drab), she always manages to create something saturated with color. I am totally thrilled with this little beauty!

It came in such clever wrapping--pattern pieces, for those of you who may never have done clothing construction.


I am saving that tag to use as a bookmark. One can never have too many books or bookmarks.

Thank you to Lori for hosting the swap, and thank you so much to Marian, who was kind enough to send this twice--all the way from Australia!

I actually have more items of a quilty nature to share, but I will save them for another post, and end with these photos of a rainbow we saw here a couple of weeks ago. My daughter-in-law (who has a degree in photography, among other things) captured this first photo of the total arc.

Within a few minutes the right side was fading and the left side grew brighter. I took these next two.

Can you spot the horse in the photo above?

We just returned from a quick trip to Oregon.  We didn't get out much, due to several family members suffering from severe allergies, with the pollen count sky high. But we did enjoy time together as a family as we supported our youngest granddaughter in her decision to be baptized (in our church that doesn't occur before age 8).


Next time I will finally have the promised drawing for my 12th anniversary of blogging. Until then, be creative and be kind!!

Janet O.


23 comments:

  1. Those rainbows are stunning Janet. As is that doll quilt!!! Gosh how wonderful ... to have been posted twice & travelled all that way. And how great that it finally got to you & you just loved it. I love how the maker has made it look all scrunchy & timeworn- very special indeed. And the wrapping is just perfect 🖤

    ReplyDelete
  2. omy goodness..is that little maggie??? how did she get to be 8 so quick?? adorable doll quilt....i had to pull out due to the leg saga...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a story, Janet!! I am so glad your quilt got to you safely!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. (Little Penpen) what a sweet little quilt and to think it’s already traveled so much! Yes I see the horse, but those rainbows—-wow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Dance!! You passed us by again., I hope you waved, lol pollen is bad in PNW. Fun quilt from Australia. Beautiful Rainbow pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A time-traveling quilt! How fun! And it really is sweet and prettily colored. I always thought of drab and dull when I heard "Civil War" fabric reproductions . . . and then I actually looked at them. Oh my, so of my favorite fabrics to use now, because their colors are so rich! Your double rainbow is stunning! In that first photo, I can truly see the glory of the Most High! Spotted the grazing horse ... not sure I'd have noticed him if you hadn't mentioned he was there, though. Glad you got to enjoy time with family; always special, even with sneezes! Hugs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great mini, glad it finally reached you! I agree, reproduction doesn't have to mean drab! What a rainbow!!!! Congratulations to your grand daughter for her baptism.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing rainbows and lovely quilt - thanks sharing!!❤️

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your sweet quilt arrived as a well seasoned world traveler! What a beautiful mini. I enjoyed reading some of Marian's posts again, thanks for sharing her link. Congratulations to your granddaughter on her decision for baptism. Those rainbow photos are outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Two trips from Australia makes this adorable quilt a frequent flyer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful dolls quilt swap, the wrapping is fabulous, I've seen dress making tissue patterns used before, a great idea for wrapping. There are usually loads at the opshops (thrift stores). WOW to that rainbow photo, what a magic capture!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a well travelled quilt. I bet you were both relieved when it finally reached you. It is a real little sweetie. I love the rainbow. We always feel that a double rainbow is special. The light in the photos is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thé doll quilt you received is adorable, what a lovely treat. You always have such lovely images to share.
    Hugs, Tazzie xox

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful mini quilt with such charming color and print to admire. Love the pattern tissue packing. I miss Marion’s blog and her kind comments on mine. Lucky you!
    Not too many rainbows appear around here, but I love to see them. I do see the horse!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So thrilled it actually made it to you! It is a real beauty! Always good to see family!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Marian is not only a wonderful quilter, she is also persistent! What a wonderful little quilt. It's charming!
    Your rainbows are amazing. It/they are so bright on several of the photos. When there's a double rainbow, one behind the other, I can never decide if one is a reflection or there are really two. The colors look like they're reversed in the last photo.
    So glad you were able to get to your granddaughter's baptism. It's an important show of support for such a big decision.

    ReplyDelete
  17. YAY Janet, it makes me so happy to see your little doll quilt where it rightly belongs ~ she fits so nicely into her new surroundings 😍 hugs, Marian

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a wonderful little quilt that is doubled in charm. I can't believe it was sent twice from Australia! Very clever wrapping and I would use that label as a bookmark, too. Those are amazing photos of the rainbow!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your newest quilt is wonderful!! I am always in awe at how perfect your's and your friend's tiny quilts are so perfect and always so beautiful!! And that rainbow is amazing!! I owe you you a long awaited phone call or note!! I do love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your doll quilt is beautiful....... Lucky you....... Love those fabrics......
    Wow the rainbow is stunning........

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a delightful little quilt. I'm so glad it finally found it's way to you. Lovely rainbow photos.

    ReplyDelete
  22. what a sweet doll quilt and beautiful package. I'm sorry I'm so late in catching up on your blog. I love to read your posts and see your photos, but it has been so busy here.
    I love the photos of the double rainbows! they are just stunning!
    I'm happy to hear you had a nice visit to family, despite the air quality.
    I missed your anniversary blog - so I'll go read it. I think I have been lucky to have received a prize from you years ago.
    I'm grateful you are still blogging!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  23. p.s. your rack of little quilts is so charming!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to have your comments and feedback.