Saturday, July 22, 2017

Final Answer!

That is in reference to the centers of my mini Dresdens. This is it. Thanks to everyone that gave their input! I really appreciated it.
I haven't trimmed down the border yet. I cut it large because I wasn't sure how big I wanted it to be, but I wanted to get it sewn on. I guess the centers are kind of hard to see in this photo.

Here they are in the "audition phase", before anything was sewn together.
In an email, Robin suggested I try to  find something that could be fussy-cut for the centers. I don't do much fussy-cutting (except for plaid borders). I liked the idea, but didn't hold out much hope. This has been a hard fabric line to match. I finally found this little print. I would have preferred the flowers to be a little larger, but I am so done with trying to find a center for these Dresdens. I like this best of anything I have tried so far. There you have it!



This week's Temecula Marvelous Mini Monday block has been sewn. It is the one on the lower left. I am considering doing the inner border on these blocks in a consistent neutral, and making the outer border random prints. I have the neutral borders all cut, but have been hesitant to attach them. I may wait until they post the final layout and decide if my approach will look good or not.

I have spent way too much time cutting and kitting for my classes with Bonnie Hunter next week. My 8 foot long kitchen island has been covered with fabric, cutting mat, rulers, rotary cutter, Bonnie's books--and lots of scraps. It was too big a job for my sewing room cutting area. I kept changing my mind on the fabrics. I would get a bunch out and pile them on the counter to start cutting, and then decide I didn't like the combination, and I would start over again. But I am finally finished, and this is what I have chosen.
I am making "Midnight Flight" from thrift store shirts. My color scheme is purple, black, blue, green, and neutrals. (Now that I read that list of colors, it sounds kind of like a bruise.)
Garden Party is being made in batiks of tropical colors with green chains, and my blocks will be half the size of Bonnie's. I am only making 20-24 blocks. It will be a mini--surprised?

I won't be able to keep up with blogs this weekend or through the coming week. I will be out of town most of next week, between Bonnie's classes, and our family reunion/campout (all of which I am trying to prepare for this weekend, along with my Sunday School lesson). Our reunion/campout has always been held as close to my Dad's birthday as possible. This will be the first one since his passing in December. His 94th birthday would have been this coming Monday. I miss him every day!
This is my siblings and parents and I at last year's reunion. The area where we camp (and I do mean camping, not glamping) has a large covered pavilion that makes a great gathering place for everyone. I am so glad we got this photo that evening.


Until next time, 
Janet O.


32 comments:

  1. Ah, a class with Bonnie Hunter. People seem to enjoy her classes. Are you making a big quilt? Most of your quilts are small and Bonnie's quite large.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your fussy cut centers for the Dresden plates.....you have agonized over this one and I think it looks great this way! Two Bonnie classes......in one week.....you will have such a wild time. Enjoy and bring back lots of memories. Your fabrics look good and they will be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your purple centers look great Janet! Very nice.
    Your mini blocks are looking great in those fall colors.
    Wow you really have been busy prepping for the workshop! Have a great with Bonnie.
    I'm sure it will be very bitter sweet at the reunion this year without your Dad, but seeing family will be special I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. p.s. the basket with the pin keeps and yarn balls is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your centers are absolutely perfect!!! Have fun with Bonnie's class!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you have struck the perfect balance with those little fussy cut centers for your mini-dresdens. I think it would be great fun to take some classes with Bonnie Hunter, enjoy your week, and of course the reunion too. This will be a precious time for your mom, having her family around her this first year since your father's passing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love, love, love the centers! It is wonderful! I especially like the photo with the basket that shows the scale. It's an adorable little quilt. Wow! Two classes with Bonnie. . . I have a friend that is going to the "Moth in the Window" one and she is so over the top excited that I can imagine you're excited that much more. I've always admired the Midnight Flight pattern and even started making red and white 4-patches at one point. Have fun at your reunion, look forward to your culminating blog at the end of it all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the Dresden quilt. Enjoy your class with Bonnie. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't wait to see your midnight flight quilt in those plaids.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You picked the correct fabric for the centers of the Dresden's blocks. Really like these better than the first ones you posted.. Sandi loves Bonnie Hunters pattern, I think she has almost made all of them. I know you are looking forward to the reunion, it will be sad, but your dad will be there with you all. Sending you hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow!! Perfect choice for the centers of your Dresdens!! Good call, Robin!! And I enlarged the picture of your Bonnie Hunter projects before reading what you wrote and I said "no way is she going to make 5" squares!!" Yup, I was right!! Looking forward to the results on both quilts!! And what a precious memory of your Dad!! Have fun at the Bonnie class and your family reunion!! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent suggestion by Robin, I think the overall look is perfect and I'm sure you'll be happy with it. Since I follow Bonnie Hunter's blog I bet we'll see bits of your work since she's so good about posting her classes, enjoy! Busy month for you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love how the dresdens turned out!
    And I'm excited to see how your Bonnies look when they are finished :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the fabric you used for the centers better than the stripe! I can relate to having a hard time deciding on which fabrics to use. I want to make a boy's quilt for my GS and want it to be made with men's shirts (his brother will get the Virginia Bound quilt that I made in a Bonnie Hunter workshop a few years ago) and I'm having a terrible time trying to decide which pattern to use. Right now, it's between Scrappy Mountain Majesties and Smoky Mountain Stars ( seen on Humble Quilts recently). Have a wonderful time at Bonnie's class! She is a great teacher! And I love her quilts and ideas. Great picture of your family. Sometimes it's hard to get those pictures taken so it's good that you made it happen.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think the centres are just darling! So wish I was coming to Bonnie's class too, its on my bucket list...if she ever comes to Australia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Have a great time at Bonnie's classes... I am green with envy :)
    I love how the fabrics for your two projects are so different, and of course we knew that at least one would be a miniature size!!
    The dresden centre flowers are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  17. i was wondering if you were taking bonnie's workshops...you will have a blast and i absolutely love your fabric choices....and a family reunion...how wonderful...nothing better...will be thinking of you...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good choice on the Dresden centers - fussy cutting always takes a project to the next level! So, you're making TWO quilts in Bonnie's class? Sure you'll have lots of fun! Enjoy your reunion.....

    ReplyDelete
  19. Whoohoo, those fabrics for the BKH workshops look great but they are a flight from your usual selections, aren't they? Good for you for taking the initiative for some change. Glad that you're going to the reunion but sorry that your Dad is gone now. He will always be there in your memories.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Have a wonderful time at all your activities next week. Sounds like a very fun week! I like the centers!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think those Dresden centers look lovely ti finsh up the quilt. Enjoy your classes and family reunion. Does the camping include toasting marshmallows?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hope the temps are kind for your reunion/camping. Colors will be wonderful when combined. Great family photo--happy memories of your dear father.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your Dresden mini looks great you have put so much thought into those middles! Enjoy your class and family time.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yep...your Dresdens look great - the centers were a good choice. I laughed when I read about how much time it took to prepare for your Bonnie classes! That is exactly what I've been doing. My friend from CA is coming to go to the retreat with me, and I'm also cutting a kit for her for Moth in the Window. I got the backgrounds all cut yesterday. More cutting today! I also want to cut us each a kit for a cute quilt we want to work on while we are at my house before the retreat. Amazing how much time it all takes! Have a great time - can't wait to hear details on your classes!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Glad you found the Flower fabric for the Dresden ctrs. I'm sure you will enjoy the classes with Bonnie Hunter! 1/2 sized Garden Party sounds way tiny! Those blocks are only 5" in the full-sized quilt. Can't wait to see. Enjoy your family time!

    ReplyDelete
  26. You have a busy week ahead. Bonnie's class should be super fun and your family reunion will be different this year but your Dad's spirit will be there enjoying the time you are all together. You picked the right center for the dresdan blocks. The fussy cutting was just what it needed.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I"m sure you'll have a wonderful time in Bonnie's class. I am just a tiny bit (ok, a lot) jealous and regretful that I am not doing it with you. Sounds like you're going to have a wonderful week or two, between meeting Bonnie and your camping trip!
    Love the fussy cut centers of the dresdens.
    And I don't think you should be holding back on the borders for the marvelous minis... take a chance!!! I think you can always add more borders. They are only 1/2" finished, remember??!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. So this weeks marvelous Monday mini is a 36 patch with an unfinished measurement of 4 inches. I sewed my sample row and got 4 1/4 inches which is mathematically correct (by my calculations). I suppose I just need to fudge on every seam allowance. What is your take on this?

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great choice for your Dresden centers! Your other little blocks are looking great too. Looks like you are going to be very busy for a while with those new quilts ---lots of little pieces! Have fun; don't lose your mind over them! ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  30. I think your purple fussy cut centers are perfect!! Love that little quilt. I hope you have a lot of fun at the Bonnie classes - I spied your little blocks on her blog today :)
    Enjoy the family reunion - I'm sure there will be many memories of your Dad shared amongst the family present.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Everything looks so good! Have fun with those two quilts! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  32. It sounds like you have a fun and eventful time coming up Janet...have a great time sewing with friends and then spendng time with family! PS I love the decision on the dresdens :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love to have your comments and feedback.