Wednesday, August 30, 2023

A Jumble of Things

The donation quilt was completed, mailed and received on schedule. It was fun to break my "No New Starts" rule and make something for a good cause. Thanks, Nancy, for sharing this opportunity with us.



I did the "piped" binding for the second time, and liked it just as much as I did the first time. Most of my quilts will still get the hand stitched finish on the binding, but when doing a quilt in a hurry, or just one that will likely get dragged around and washed a bunch, the "piped", or "flanged" binding is sure slick.

Below is the finished top of one of the projects from the Pam Buda class I attended last month. I made fewer blocks, and added the purple on the corners where they met up to form squares on point. I am toying with calling it Geode Crystals, or Amethyst Crystals. Pam calls it Haunted Maze.

I wasn't really careful on the matching of points as I stitched this together, but it has so much movement to it, I don't think it is as noticeable as it usually would be. I have to say, I LOVE that border print. It is from the previous Cheddar and Coal line (Pam just came out with Cheddar and Coal II), and I think it may be one of my favorites of Pam's fabrics. I thought I had more of it in my stash, but this FQ appears to have been it. I have about half of it left. And there doesn't appear to be more than one FQ of it online, that I can find. Pam has several lines in the works, so hopefully my attention will be caught by a print in one of those lines, and I can stop obsessing over this one.

I'd share the other blocks I worked on at the retreat, but I can't find them. Seriously. When I first got home I was just in recovery mode. Once I was back into the routine of life, I decided I should make some progress on those projects from retreat. This was the only one I could find. I had only made one block each on the other two projects, but I did have one of them entirely cut out, and I'd really like to find it. I decided they were lost because my sewing room was a disaster, and was sure that when I took time to clean it, I would find the missing blocks.

So I have really been trying to get more organized in my sewing room. Last week I went through cupboards, drawers, closets, and boxes. I boxed up scraps from several baskets and shipped them to a friend. I sent other boxes of fabric to a worthy group. I then made a list of every finished top that still needed to be quilted, and every UFO I discovered (this is something I have been itching to do for some time, but at the same time, kind of afraid of what I would discover). I dug up 28 UFOs, and only 7 of them are mini quilts. Then there are the finished tops--25 of those. Since that discovery I have three of them prepped with batting and backing to go to my longarm quilter as soon as she is back from vacation. Only 6 of the 25 tops are doll quilt or mini size. Three of them are baby quilt, wall hanging or lap quilt size. I didn't realize I had that many bed quilt flimsies waiting to be quilted.

And I still haven't found those missing blocks. But I found some other things I would like to pass on to someone who might actually use them.

1. A half yard of the turtle fabric, with one turtle fussy-cut out of it.

Also 4 FQs of coordinating fabrics, and the leftovers of the brown FQ that I used part of in the donation quilt at the top of this post. All of these fabrics were from Hobby Lobby.



2. Leftover yardage from Lisa Bongean's Snowman Gatherings and Snowman Gatherings II lines. Also 2 full mini charm packs and one partial.

I made three small quilts and a wall hanging from these fabrics, and it is time the leftovers find a new home.


3. These are scraps that I think I may have picked up from a scrap bin at a shop where you stuff a bag for a set price. I thought I could make a cute mini out of them, but apparently I burned out on making snowmen quilts on the fabric above.

4. What we have here are the 2 Midnight Flight blocks I made in a class with Bonnie Hunter back in 2017, along with whatever pieces I had cut for more blocks (I'm not even sure exactly what I have cut out), and the leftovers from her Easy Street mystery. I had cut out enough for more blocks than I actually made. These are all cut from thrift store shirts.  I know I will never make more of these blocks. I really had a hard time keeping the pieces in the right places, and used the seam ripper SO MUCH just to make these two blocks. Someone braver (and smarter) than I can tackle it.

If you are interested in any of these, mentioned it in your comment--and include your email, if you have never had a response from me before. If I don't have your email, you won't be eligible. I will draw a name if more than one person is interested in any of them. 

I won a prize on a blog this month. Deonn, over at Quiltscapes, held a drawing for this book, and now it is mine! You can check out Deonn's blog here, to see more of the technique from the book.





That is all the quilty content for today. You all know I love sunsets, and we have had some amazing ones this month. Sometimes as I walk in the evening I feel as if the clouds are  coming to smother me. I thought I'd share a few from the past couple of weeks. You can click to enlarge these for more of the effect.




One last thing I want to share. When I am on these evening walks, often row upon row of birds will pass overhead. Early in the month it was the very noisy Canada Geese honking loudly as they flew over. But more recently the birds are very quiet, and I don't always know they are there unless I happen to look up--unless they are a larger bird, and then I can hear the whispering sound of their wings as they flap their way past me.
In the attached video, watch for the line of birds coming from the horizon. Make sure your sound is turned way up and your surroundings are quiet. It helps to expand the image to full screen, too. As they get directly above me, you should be able to hear their wings for just a moment. This never fails to thrill me. And the crunching sound you hear is my feet on the gravel road as I turn to capture the birds flying over. I hope this works. I haven't attached a video in a long time.


Hubby and I are off on another adventure soon, so it may be a couple of weeks before I will post the results of any drawings we may need to have.

Until then, 
be creative, and be kind.
Janet O.

Drawing is now closed.

42 comments:

  1. The flange binding is a nice finish to your quilt - I enjoy using it when needed, too, Your Crystals mini is lovely - it glows and as you say there is grat movement to it - well done with the touch of purple. Beautiful sunset photos and I did get the video to work - very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, you have been busy! I, too, have done the flange binding and found it to quite nice although I really don’t enjoy sewing the thin strips together…..seems to take FOREVER to get to the end ;-). I’d love your #5 Bonnie Hunter blocks and pieces…they are my jam!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops, not sure if my email is connected izoofan2 at hotmail dot com.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are amazing sunsets; the sound of the bird winging is just awesome.
    I would be interested in the 2nd grouping "Snowman" fabrics...good luck on your journey Hugs, Julierose (julierosequilts.blogspot)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ok you got me! i will take the 3rd group of fabrics, the snowmen and stripeys....have an idea already.. enabler!!! LOL! but i have way fewer UFOs than you so i can handle it...

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun donation quilt! It's really sweet and will be enjoyed very much by its recipient! :) I adore the Haunted Maze mini — the colors are AWESOME! I can relate to the whole "my space needs attention" idea. I'm sorry you didn't find your blocks, though. That's so frustrating!! I love your Midnight Flight blocks ... if they need a home, I'd be happy to provide it! Your sunset pictures are, as always, stunning! Well done on catching the flight of the birds. I think it's absolutely thrilling; the way they work together to travel back and forth to their seasonal destinations. It's fascinating! Thanks for sharing! HUGS! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm in. So much fun playing with others leftovers, it challenges me to create something from them. blessings

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a very nice donation quilt! I'd love to have the turtle fabric...Ava has had her very first sewing lesson and I know she'd love to have those fabrics to make into something! Thanks for the chance! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your film is amazing. So beautiful. I love seeing the geese and ocean ducks, but never like that. One of my favorite things is looking up on a clear winter night and seeing the ghostly snow geese in a V overhead. ///I would love either or both of the Snowman groups [2 and 3]. I used the Lisa Bongean fabrics in some version for my Silent Night WIP, but it could really use some variations to pep it up and get it going again. lizzzz.d@gmail.com robin750@msn.com but you prob have already.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a cute donation quilt. Nice job! The flange is a nice touch.
    I've been working really hard the last two years to get my UFO's and unquilted tops under control. I've got 13 tops and one wall hanging ready to be quilted. That's down by a half. And there are only two UFOs. It's amazing. . . I know. . . I'm so pleased to be making such good progress. You can do it too!!!
    I loved the video, I love listening to the geese and ducks as they fly overhead. I've never heard the birds wings before, that was great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your donation quilt is a sweet finish. I love the look of the flanged binding, why haven't I ever tried it?! Sunsets are always so glorious there - I'd never tire of seeing your photos of them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, your video and sunset pictures are so cool, thank you for sharing the beauty of your part of our beautiful country.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your donation quilt is just darling. Love the faux-piped binding. I think that is my very favorite. My thumbs are getting some arthritis and go numb when I hand-stitch a binding, so faux-piping is my go-to. Plus, it adds a little touch of elegance, I think! That turtle print is sure cute - I could make a little quilt for my newest granddaughter coming next month. They live in Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, that was a stunning swoop of geese overhead - and none of them honking! Gorgeous sunsets! Thanks for sharing. It's a beautiful world.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your little black, cheddar, and purple quilt and don’t notice anything not matching! Thanks so much for the photos of beautiful sunsets and also the wonderful video! Good luck with your reorganizing and enjoy your travels!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I remember using my ripper a lot for Midnight Flight. I love that you started it with shirtings. I'm game to finish it for you. Have a good trip!

    ReplyDelete

  17. I collect snowmen cookie jars. Several are in the color palette of fabric group #3. It could be the beginning of a small quilt to display with them at Christmas and thru the winter, if you choose to send it to me. cathyquilt at gmail dot com
    I enjoyed your sunset pictures. We do not get such dramatic sunsets here in central California.
    Bon voyage for this adventure, wherever it is.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I’d be interested in #2 Snowman Gatherings. I make it a quilt. With fat quarters that my granddaughter fell in love with. I know she would love these fabrics to. cathykilliany at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your work is amazing. Good luck finding your missing projects. 1 or 2 would be put to good use by me, especially 1 as I make donation quilts for a youth home.
    Jleibfried@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love a piped binding. It relly finishes the edge. I would also love to take some of your scraps off your hands!! Either or both # 1 - hobby lobby FQ coordinates and turtle fabric and or # 2 - Primitive gatherings Snowman gatherings. I love this line. Thanks for the opportunities for these "scraps"!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love all of your quilts, and that Pam print is a gorgeous one! Beautiful sunset pics too - so peaceful!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Marvelous! Thank you so much for that wonderful video! Aren’t birds just amazing. Your countryside is just beautiful. I know you delight in walking there. Carol in Texas

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your sunset photos are just breathtaking--thanks for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely sunset photos. I enjoy your blog so.

    ReplyDelete
  25. The sunsets are spectacular! Oh, the majesty and wonder of the silent flock flying overhead, I loved that! Your donation quilt with flanged binding is simply wonderful. <3

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love your sunset pictures. #3 snowmen looks fun, I'd like that one to push me out of my envelope of civil war repro world, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your photographs are prize winning - so gorgeous! Surely you live in heaven - loved the peaceful video! You are so brave to actually count the UFOs! Great job on the flanged binding!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your sunset pictures are so beautiful, and the video of the birds is amazing!! Thank you for sharing! I love the way your donation quilt turned out ... so fun, and love the binding. I will have to try that! I would love either #2 or #3 snowman projects... I love snowmen!! I always enjoy your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love the donation quilt! Your landscape photos are beautiful - thanks for sharing! I’d love to have the Snowman Gathering scraps in the second photo! I made a quilt for myself and now my sister in law wants one - I could use all your scraps & what I have left! Thanks! I enjoy your posts! I’m sure you have my email but here it is - slpmatlock@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'd love to try making Bonnie Hunter's Midnight Flight. Your blocks would be a great start. ennekml@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wonderful post Janet, your sunset photos are beautiful and the video was a joy to watch. Your donation quilt is beautiful, great binding and your mini is stunning too. Enjoy your adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your Geodes quilt is so fun!! And, oh, the Snowman fabrics!! My fav, but they need to go to someone's loving home (just not mine - thank you!!). Hope you have a wonderful time wherever you are going!! Those sunsets are definitely spectacular!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Nice little fall finish from Pam class. great colors.
    Also, what a nice donation quilt - I'm too chicken to try that piping. Yours looks great.
    Love Love Love your sunset photos. Just gorgeous clouds and light.
    The bird video is fabulous - I wonder what they are. Are they migrating south?
    Have fun on your adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Your sunsets are so beautiful. I have a friend who grew up in Idaho. She told me that when her parents built a new home her mom insisted that there be a large window in the room that faced west. Now I understand why. You know, you could probably enlarge the photos, frame them, and sell them to people who love sunset videos or who are homesick for Utah sunsets.
    Such an amazing video with the birds.
    Your crystals quilt is gorgeous and, like you, I love the fabric you used for the border. It was a great choice for this quilt.
    Maybe you've found your other retreat blocks by now? As I've been working on the Scrappy Star Stitchalong and trying to choose fabrics close to the originals, I see on in a star and think, Oh, I have the perfect fabric for that. And then i can't find it. Sadly, it's happened more than once.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love the way your donation quilt turned out. The flange binding really sets it off. I may have to give it a try some time. How wonderful to see the birds migrating. We don’t see anything like that here. I’m sure all your excess fabric will find nice new homes. Good luck finding your missing projects.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I just read your blog for the 1st time after reading Pam Buda’s latest email & her visit to Village Dry Goods. So I then read your post about meeting up with Pam. Sure sounded like a fun & busy 2 days. Next up was your latest post. Don’t know if your contest is over but all 4 of your offerings are great. I’ll have to look @ Hobby Lobby for that turtle fabric. HL has finally opened stores in Maryland but it’s still a drive for me. Lisa B’s fabrics are always great & I could definitely use her snowmen. So the 3rd group would be useful too. Of course Bonnie Hunter is always interesting but I don’t really need any orphan blocks if you know what I mean. I’ll definitely will be watching for your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I woukd love to have the Snowman Gatherings fabric! My e mail is megbemerry@gmail.com. I am just discovering your blog. I find it interesting! Nice work. I "lose" stuff frequently, but usually find it when I am nor looking for it or I have already substituted something for it! Bless you in uour reordering 9f your sewing room. I have done this a couple of January times. It was very helpful and I have been able to keep it organized since, at least the fabric! I have moved furniture a couple times; most recently to accommodate the fuft if a Inger 291c in a beautiful cabinet. I am using it to piece with. It runs well and I am so pleased with it.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I don’t know if all have been spoken for , but I am interested in numbers 2&4. Love the shirts!
    Thanks for the tip about the piped binding, very clever!
    jacobs.patti@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  39. When you are done cleaning your room, I think I'll need a little help! haha I hope the missing blocks show up soon. Cool video!

    ReplyDelete
  40. What a great post, Janice. You made great headway with sorting your sewing room and it sure feels good doesn't it. I do hope you find those blocks...that kind of thing bugs me. You have some great items to share...sadly I should be trying to share my stuff somehow at this stage too. I loved the video...they are just passing through here now too. I love their v's ...it seems all it right with this crazy world to see them.

    ReplyDelete

I love to have your comments and feedback.