Saturday, February 3, 2024

So much for good intentions!

I am just going to pretend that it hasn't been over a month since I last posted, and go on as if I had posted twice in January, as I had planned. :)

I can't even say for sure how many weeks ago this little charmer arrived at my house, but it was a delightful surprise! 

This was made by Doniene Fullagar, who used to blog at "Now It's Just Quilts". She explained to me that I had loaned this magazine to her about a dozen years ago, and that is how our friendship began. The quilt looked very familiar, but I had forgotten all about loaning the magazine. She now has completed the top for the full sized quilt, but had also made this tabletop/wallhanging size for me. Isn't it beautiful? I am very touched, and it was delightful to be in touch with Doniene again. She is a sweetheart! Some of you may still see her on Instagram.

Well, I finally sewed the last row of my red/white mini Burgoyne Surrounded. When working this small, I pin things to within an inch of their life before stitching the rows together.












And here it is, laying on the red print I used in the blocks. My intention was to use this for the final border, but at the moment it isn't talking to me. However, I don't like the idea of pulling in a print that I haven't used anywhere else in the quilt, and I don't really want to use the solid for the final border. 

So I am leaving this out on the dining room table to see if it grows on me. I should have put my rotary cutter in this shot to give the needed size perspective. Just keep in mind that the smallest squares in the chains are 1/4". A completed block finishes at 3 3/4".

The only other stitching that has occurred since my last post has been in the "Tiny Block" department. We started up again on these blocks in my guild in January. The photo below shows you the finished blocks I have so far--this encompasses the ones I made in repro fabrics when I took the classes from the designer extraordinaire, Lynn Hopkins, at Village Dry Goods a few years ago. Since teaching it in my guild I have been making the blocks out of batiks.

Nothing beats batiks for pressing flat and keeping a sharp edge to a seam. When you work this small, it really helps. Remember that each of these blocks finishes at 2 inches.

I end up with multiples of some blocks because of the "story boards" I make that show the steps of construction. Then after teaching them, I sew up most of the samples. Below are the ones that I still need to stitch together from the last few sessions from last year, and this first session from this year.


This gives you a little better size perspective below, with three of the newest blocks.

Word on the street is that Lynn could be offering his patterns and rulers in some new sizes--a little larger--and even smaller! And there is also a possibility of a Zoom class from him on these blocks. I will share info here as I get it, in case any of you are interested in any of those options.

In my post just before Christmas I shared 3 quilts that were ready for binding that were NOT minis. They still need binding, and another one was added to the pile. This is the half log cabin I started to sew up after my shoulder surgery in 2018. I finished the top early in 2019, but just decided to get it quilted last year. I finished the quilting last year, too, but somehow missed the photos when I was posting in December.


For the center of the quilt I used Barb Vedder's Fan Stencil. I bought it when she first came out with it, but this is my first time using it. She has a great tutorial here. You can see in the photo above that I used a leaf stencil for the outer border. Wasn't my favorite choice, but it was the best option from what I had on hand.

I quilted it on Gidget (my HQ Sweet Sixteen). I had my longarm quilter baste it for me. It is worth it to me to have that done. And it wasn't difficult to remove the basting stitches afterward. But now I have a LOT of binding to get done! Do you stall on binding like I do? 

I don't have any stunning sunsets to share--for two reasons. First is that I have been doing my daily walks on the treadmill since our January snows made mud out of the dirt road I walk on, and the snowplows push the snow off the paved road onto the only place you can get out of oncoming traffic when you are walking (no sidewalks out here). Snowbank diving is no fun!

But we have had a lot of fog lately, so I will share this rather different view we've had of late.


Until next time (which should not be over a month away), be creative, and PLEASE be kind!

Janet O.

21 comments:

  1. What a beautiful thank you gift. You have so many beautiful projects going on. Have fun with your quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The picture of the horses in the fog is beautiful as is the lovely quilt you received! I admire you micro blocks…..I’m quite sure I won’t ever have any popping up in my quilt studio ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You always amaze me with the tiny things you get done. The Burgoyne surrounded is delicate and lovely. I really like the leaf quilting design you are doing on the log cabin quilt. I think it finishes it off nicely. The tiny blocks are so sweet. I always enjoy seeing the things you make.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I saw your last photo Home on the Range popped into my head, and probably won't leave for the rest of the day lol! Your friend's little table topper gift is adorable, what a sweet thank you. Your mini blocks just blow my mind every time I see them! So sweet and pretty. Do you plan to bind your larger quilts by hand or machine? Other than my diamond jubilee quilt a few years ago, I haven't finished a binding by hand in quite a few years, after trying machine binding a few times I found the finished binding actually looked better, especially the corners.

    ReplyDelete
  5. gosh a post full of delicious eye candy....oh those mini blocks! they are beyond gorgeous....and the gift piece, right up my traditional alley....and burgoyne surrounded is beautiful...i agree about the border....i also don't think it quite works...perhaps a little narrower might be called for?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything is so beautiful here Janet ... & much of it is so tiny!!! I am in awe of how you achieve these very neat teeny tiny blocks. I really like that leaf design you are quilting on your machine. The last photo is wonderful -we have lots of fogs here as we are in a bit of a hollow dip. I also especially love your Header photo - it made me shiver slightly which is great as its been so hot here. Wishing you a wonderful week Janet - maybe you will get to some of that binding. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. It seems a little fog on your end of the valley is the norm during certain weather patterns.
    You have certainly been doing tiny tiny tiny things. 1/4" finished squares are crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your quilts are beautiful. You should be very proud!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good grief!! Your blocks are not only teeny tiny but they are fabulous!! And your red/white mini Burgoyne Surrounded is absolutely amazing!! I was wondering, if you folded back the red border print so it looked more like a border instead of a big piece of red print, you might get a better feel for what it really would look like. For my eyes, right now it is too much red! The gift from Doniene is perfect, especially wi the mustard border!! We have rain here, more rain than this area has seen in over 60 years!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've kept up with Doniene via Instagram ... she's such a sweety. And so talented! What a charming gift! :) I love your Burgoyne Surrounded piece. What if you did a 1/2" to 1" strip of the white print as a first border, and then did the red? It would break it up a bit and might speak more eloquently to you! ;) I can NOT believe how stinking small those little blocks are! Gracious! You never cease to amaze me! Love your final photo ... so pretty! February hugs to you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's better to just do your blog post and not mention how long it has been! No one keeps track, we just enjoy when you do post.

    Lots of darling quilts--the Burgoyne surrounded is mind boggling.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Sew Tiny blocks. Yes we love to read when you post. Happy to see what you have done behind the Blogging. No judgment. I stall on Borders. Once that's done there's no excuses right? Our view is Foggy most days as well. Living in the foothills of the Blues.

    ReplyDelete
  13. this blocks are insane but so cool...........
    as for the red quilt a smaller border????? with the same fabric????
    and love the finished quilt also.......

    ReplyDelete
  14. great to see you blogging also and the first gift quilt........beautiful......

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are amazing or crazy! Those tiny blocks, be still my heart. Always delighted to read your blog. It becomes a bright spot in my day. Your fog photo is beautiful, though upon closer examination it bit mournful. We here in Connecticut are enjoying our second day of sunlight after twelve days without. Oh how wonderful to see a sunset! We know the sun is above those clouds but oh so wonderful to feel it’s warmth and glorious light. Sort of reminds me of our other SON! Keep up your fantastic artistry. We so enjoy it. Dotti in CT

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful post! That gift quilt is so lovely and thoughtful.
    I can not believe how tiny those blocks are and they are so perfect!
    What a fun surprise to see my fan stencil quilting on your log cabin. It looks great and goes with the traditional pattern.
    what a beautiful ethereal photo of the horse.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your Burgoyne Surrounded...it's amazing! And your half log cabin is pretty great too! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  18. You may not blog very often but you always have the most interesting posts. Also, you are quite the photographer! That mini quilt that you received is beautiful! What a nice surprise. (Did you get your magazine back?) As for your Burgoyne Surrounded mini with those gorgeous reds - the smallest squares in the chains are 1/4" - how did you manage that without losing your mind? I really need to know. What was your stitch length? As for binding quilts, I love it and look forward to doing it by hand. If you lived closer I would happily do them all for you. It's the quilting I always get stuck on because I hate doing it on my DSM. I have a huge pile of tops that need quilting and I feel bad that I can't use them on my bed. I look forward to your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a sweet gesture from Doniene, and a beautiful quilt. I love its scrappiness.
    Your Burgoyne Surrounded is so amazing. It is interesting that we often can't tell size without a point of reference--for both tiny and very large blocks. I hope you find a border fabric that both you and the quilt like. Might a slightly darker, solid red work? How wide will the border be?
    It's hard to believe your Tiny Blocks are so small (without that point of reference). So many of the blocks have so many pieces. The one in the center row at the top (which is also the center one in your hand)--the triangles have to be less than half an inch!
    I can't imagine making them.
    Your half log cabin is beautiful. I really like the stencil with the leaves for the border.
    I don't enjoy binding so I try to get it done as soon as I can, just to get it out of the way. I'd rather look forward to something I enjoy doing.
    I love your fog photo. Don't you wonder what the horses might be thinking, not being able to see more than a few feet in front of them?

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love all these quilts! The Burgoyne surrounded it so perfect! I would love to see it in person. The tiny blocks are amazing. Ruth, countrylogcabin.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my goodness! What teeny tiny blocks you have made! So glad you finished the last block of Burgoyne. Those 1/4" squares are amazing--and perfect! Lovely gift quilt and your Log Cabin is wonderful! One of these days I'd like to give machine quilting a try--other than doing simple lines on my minis. Love your fog photo. We've had some foggy days as well. Barbara S.

    ReplyDelete

I love to have your comments and feedback.