Wednesday, October 6, 2021

Monthly Mini Maker Baggie Challenge


Okay, here is the challenge I mentioned in a previous post. With Wendy's blessing, this challenge is open to bloggers who have participated or are participating with Wendy, at The Constant Quilter blog, making a "Monthly Mini".  When I was initially clearing off my cutting table after making my two monthly minis in August (seen here), I had planned to sweep those leftover half-hex and thimble shapes into a baggie for future use, before I changed plans and used them to create my September mini. I often put leftovers from a little quilt into a baggie, if I think I can make another little quilt out of them someday. Sometimes I will combine the contents of two or three baggies into one baggie because I think the combination of scraps would create a great little quilt. Sometimes I just find a bunch of scraps I like together as I am rummaging through my scrap baskets, and I bag them up for future use. At other times I am working with scraps someone else has sent me--whatever the source of the leftovers, they are usually stored in baggies at my house. Here are a few examples of mini quilts I have made using this approach.


 

I know many of you make your minis from scraps, but do you package up a bunch of them together for future use? Do you have little bags (or boxes or canisters, or whatever) filled with scraps that you think would make a great mini quilt someday? Several of my little "Monthly Minis" that have been created over the past few years were made by grabbing one of my baggies and seeing what I could make happen. I love that it forces me into more of a "make do" situation, than if I had my whole stash from which to pull. Here are a few more of my monthly minis made from bags of scraps.

The one above, on the left (July 2018), was made from homespun HSTs that had been sent to me by a good blogger friend, that I had stored in a baggie. It was patterned after a little quilt made by Marian Edwards (seen here). The one on the right (May 2021) was made using Kansas Troubles scraps my retreat buddy had given me (in a baggie). I added the 4 basket blocks I had leftover from another project. They were made from mostly KT fabrics and had been pinned to the side of my design wall for years, waiting for some love. Each of these have been given a good home.

The fall colored one above, on the left (November 2020), was from another baggie of scraps of fun Sandy Gervais fabrics that had been given to me. The one on the right (August 2019) came from my own scraps. I made a couple of purple/gold/black minis several years ago, and the leftovers went into a baggie. I did have to dig up a strip of neutral and some black for the border. These both still live with me.

There is a story behind the one above, on the left (March 2019). Something about scraps in a garbage can. You can read that story here. That quilt is now at home in a faraway land. The one on the right (July 2020) was primarily from a baggie of scraps sent by a good blogging buddy. I did have to turn to my scraps for the neutral sashing and the brown border. This quilt is staying with me!

So, my fellow "Monthly Mini Makers", here is my challenge, if you would like to accept it (cue the Mission:Impossible theme music). If you have a similar habit of storing scraps you think you'd like to turn into a mini someday, let's make that day come sooner, rather than later for one of those baggies. I challenge you to create one of your monthly minis during the next three months from a bag of scraps. Either October, November, or December will qualify, just have it done before the year ends, and when you post that particular monthly mini and link it to Wendy's Monthly Mini post, explain that it is your "Baggie Challenge" mini. Come January, after all those who participated have posted their Baggie Mini, I will draw a winner and send them one of my little "Baggie" quilts.

Wait! Before you go off to see if you have scrap bags, there are a few "guidelines".  

#1. When you have chosen your scrap baggie, lay out the scraps and take a photo. This photo shows the scraps that I used in making the quilt above, on the left--the one with the garbage can in its history. Believe me, my scraps aren't ever this neat.

#2. If you were to compare these fabrics to the mini I made from them, you would see that I added a neutral and one colored fabric. That is guideline #2. You don't have to use every bit of fabric in your baggie, but you can only add a maximum of 2 other fabrics--one being a neutral and the other one, a color.

#3. You are free to use your own stash to come up with binding and backing fabrics--they don't count as your options listed above in #2.

#4. When you post the finished product for your monthly mini, be sure to include your photo of the scraps in your post. We want to see "from whence they (meaning the quilt) came."

If you are doing the monthly minis, but just don't keep scraps stored as I have described, I may be able to help. I was trying to make room this month for all the fabric I picked up in Maine, and on a recent "shop hop" with friends, when I came upon a drawer full of several such baggies in my sewing room. Some of them had been long forgotten. And some were recent creations. So if you want to play along, but don't have the bagged scraps, the following are available on a "first come, first served" basis.


(Taken) #1 Madders and Blues that I had pulled from my scraps bins, thinking they would make a nice small quilt.

#2 Purple, Gold and Black are leftovers from a variety of projects, and since I have always liked these three colors together, I kept dropping more in the bag.

 


(Taken) #3 Cheddar and Blue with some neutrals added. I have always loved this combo and have made several quilts with these colors, so I kept dropping leftovers in this bag, too.

(Taken) #4 Pink and Brown with a couple of neutrals. I have been saving pink and brown CW repros in a tub for years and finally pulled them out for Barbara Brackman's Hands All Around BOM this year. These are some of the scraps that have been piling up from that project.
 


#5 Red, White and Blue--It might be kind of hard to tell from the photo above, but the first three piles on the left are for #5. I didn't think about how confusing it would be to have the red/white/blue scraps right next to the red/white scraps. I am always looking for an excuse to make R/W/B quilts, so as I saw these colors piling up in my scrap baskets, I did some thinning of the herd to get a baggie of R/W/B.

#6 Red and White are such a classic combo. I set these apart from the fabrics in #5 because these are brighter, truer colors, rather than the muddied side of the spectrum, but there aren't as many pieces here as there are in some of the other baggies.

And if you are not a repro fan, you have a couple of options.


#7 Bright Red, White and Blue, not the darker shades of the repro collection above. This collection came mostly from one of those "fill a bag as full as you can for $$" at a shop just over an hour away.

#8 Fall Colors--leftovers from the "It's So Vermonty" fall quilt I made from Bonnie Hunter's Crab Apples quilt.

So, if you participate in Wendy's Monthly Mini, let me know if you plan on playing along with this baggie challenge, and if you need me to send you a baggie of scraps, let me know that, too. You can keep on doing the monthly mini and NOT do this challenge. This is just if you want to make it a little more "challenging" during one of the next three months.

 Until next time,                                                                                          

Janet O.




26 comments:

  1. nice try janet...LOL...a challenge? thinking you just want to purge some scraps there girl...LOL...i have some small tops already made with just those type of scraps! so i'll pass on this but look forward to all the little pretties....

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH I love it!!! How fun...I will try and play along! I think I will make a cheddar and blue creation!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've put a lot of thought into this challenge! I'll have to see what I have "in baggies"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a great post with all your fabulous minis.
    Let me check to see if I have a baggie, otherwise I may need one.
    I'd love to do a little mini for your challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Baggies of scraps, of course I have them, tucked safely inside swiffer refill boxes! This may be just what I need to jump-start my mini-making after the long haul of finishing the "big four."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha! Of course I’ll participate! My sewing room is full of scraps but none of them are in baggies, and I’ll have to dig around to see if I can find a group of scraps from a single source. Otherwise I might have to cheat. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your challenge! Normally I don't have small baggies of scraps from specific projects. The really small scraps all go into a bag that I donate to folks who make dog beds. The medium size scraps from all projects are thrown together in one bag and after a while I sort them by color and donate them to the freebie table at my guild meetings because I don't make scrap quilts. Anything larger goes back into my stash. However, I just happen to have a bag of scraps saved from a current large project and I will see if I can dream up something from them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many beautiful minis Janet, I really admire your sewing ability with the tiny tiny pieces. It was so good that you could rescue that tray of scraps. I do have a tub of scraps from other things up I am not up for your challenge, I have too many other things to get done at present 😁.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love all of your Minis! I'd love to try and use my cut-off triangles from Quiltville Mysteries. I have several baggies of them stored. Wait till you see how many. Have fun giving your baggies away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something happened and I wasn't finished with my comment! I always think pink and brown look great together. You're very generous to offer the scraps. Maybe one of these days I'll join in.

      Delete
  10. I keep thinking about minis but I haven't yet made one, other than several of Lori's sew-alongs. They are enticing--tiny, maybe quicker, a finish every month!--but what would I do with a mini quilt? Yours are beautiful! And I love the scraps you're offering.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I participate in Wendy's challenge on occasion. I certainly have PLENTY of scrap bags to play with for your challenge! In fact, I just found one last night that I didn't recall setting aside. SEW many scraps, so little time!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wowza!! I wish you all the best of luck and happy Mini Making!! Although I LOVE all your quilts, my favorite one in this post is the one with the red border!! I envy your patience and your creativity!! Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. One day I'm going to shock you and Wendy and make a mini..... Simple but I'm going to make one......

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think you are the most organized person I know. What a great challenge! I got my baggie together after we talked last week and just have to percolate a finish. I see Chooky's response, and I hope you will tell her she is welcome to make one anytime as far as I'm concerned. NO pressure! Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with. Thanks for thinking of this fun challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fun challenge, Janet! All of your minis are so sweet! I'll need to find some leftovers from another project to see what I can come up with. Or, if you have an extra baggie I'd love to have one :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a clever idea. I normally don't keep a group of leftover bits together. So if you still have a baggie left. I'd live to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It looks like you will have lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like a fun challenge! Need to get busy. Size restrictions??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, I don't know if you will see this, but you are a "no reply" comment, so I cannot send you a personal reply via email. Wendy has never put a size restriction on our monthly minis--just what is a mini to you. I chose to stick to that approach.

      Delete
  19. What a great idea!! Thanks so much!
    I love cheddar and blue, if possible.
    THANKS

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think you must be my sister from another mother! LOL
    I am exactly the same with little baggies of scraps all over the place!
    My challenge will be how to pick the chosen one for the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I wish I had the wherewithal to join this. But I don't. LOL! I will instead enjoy your contributions!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just found this challenge and will look today to see if I have a "baggie" of scraps that will do! Usually I just pile scraps neatly in larger boxes!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This sounds like fun. I actually do save scraps in baggies and group for later. In fact, was doing that just a minute ago. I also have scraps of that purple fabric from the Pin Money collection. 'Have several minis already planned. Will be sure to link-up ay Wendy's Monthly Mini Challenge.

    ReplyDelete

I love to have your comments and feedback.