Tuesday, August 31, 2021

Monthly Mini x2

With Mom's passing in July, I didn't get a monthly mini made that month. I have made up for it this month by making two. I am linking this post with Wendy at The Constant Quilter blog. She is our monthly mini motivator and mentor.


 On the left is "Busy Thimbles in Blue", and on the right is "Scrap Basket Half-hex with Chrome Detailing."
 

I wanted these to be the same, but different. Each one has two striped borders and two tone-on-tone borders. The tonal and striped prints are reversed in position from one to the other. The centers of each are scrappy, and use one shape that repeats and flips. The tonal print on each one got cable quilting, while the striped print on each got straight line quilting. I tried to use an unexpected color on each binding, though I will admit that the chrome yellow is definitely more unexpected than the grey/blue.

I did stitch-in-the-ditch around the thimbles. I knew that there wouldn't be good daylight to get a photo showing the quilting by the time I had this one bound, so I took the photos before sewing the binding down on the back.

The quilting on the half-hex was a little harder for me to decide. I started out quilting vertically between the rows of hexie shapes, but it wasn't enough. To quilt along the seams horizontally would have emphasized that these were half-hex shapes, and I didn't want to do that.  I finally chose to do diagonal lines through the rows of hexies, as if I was doing the hanging diamond design. Then I wondered if I should make diagonal lines coming from the other direction, but decided that would be too dense for this little thing. So I left it alone, and it has grown on me.

I am writing this on August 23rd, the day Hubby officially retired, after over 40 years with the same company. In the morning we are flying out to the east coast. By the time this post goes live I will have spent a week in New England hunting down ancestors, while including a couple of quilty adventures along the way. From Maine to Massachusetts, I will have scoured graveyards, visited historical societies, and witnessed where my Mayflower ancestors landed and lived. And if all has gone according to plan, I will have met Wendy, The Constant Quilter (see link above), and have paid another visit to Cyndi (Busy Thimble blog) at her Busy Thimble quilt shop. 

The day this posts I will be trying to squeeze in a visit to The New England Quilt Museum on the way to the airport to fly home. It has been three years since I was last in Massachusetts for our oldest son's wedding reception, and six years since I visited Maine while on a trip to see my oldest daughter who was living in New Hampshire at the time. This is my 6th visit to New England and I have loved every trip. I will share more about it after I have recovered from all the fun.

Thank you to everyone for the very kind and loving comments on my last post about Mom's passing. I tried to get as many answered as I could before we left, but I didn't get very far. I will try to catch up soon. Is anyone else having trouble with comments on their blog NOT coming through to their email? About midway through the comments I received on my last post, they stopped coming through. I went to settings and it doesn't even give me the option to select an email to receive comments. That has never happened to me before. I sent feedback to Blogger. Hopefully it is a glitch they will work out. They finally fixed the header photo problem, so I will wait and see. But it is a pain to not be able to reply directly.

One last glamor shot of the two little quilts and then I am out of here. :)


Take care, until next time!

Janet O.





27 comments:

  1. HI Janet; your mini quilts are just beautiful! I am glad you got a lovely vacation, and some quilt fun time with friends and ancestors too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janet deliciosos tus minis ¡me encantan! tu viaje parece divertido

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two great mini quilts! I like the chrome yellow binding! Hope you had a nice vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those mini’s are wonderful!! I hope you are having a great vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your mini's. As always your quilting is fantastic. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. I couldn't be more thrilled! Mine looks wonderful hanging in my sewing room. What a treasure! I thank you for making the time to see us and for my fabulous little mini!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love these minis! They are so colorful and happy :) That chrome binding just sings. I hope you had a wonderful vacation in the northeast. I just read about your visit with Wendy and Cyndi on Wendy's blog. What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations to hubby on his retirement and sounds like the two of you are having great adventures as you enter the next phase of your life. Enjoyed learning about my ancestors and New England is one of my favorite places to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. With retirement, now the fun begins and hopefully your trip back east is the beginning of all the fun!! These two minis are just great!! Not-so-identical twins!! Hope your trip was everything you wanted it to be!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, first of all, congratulations to your hubby on his retirement! I hope he has hobbies as interesting and fulfilling as quilting has been/is for you. Your two minis are totally adorable and will be well-loved. I hope you were able to squeeze in the trip to the New England Quilt Museum, and that you'll share any photos you take from this well-deserved vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The minis are marvelous and after reading Wendy's blog I know where they went. Both quilts are so sweet and I have to admit I like the chrome yellow binding. Congrats to your husband on his retirement. Glad you were able to get away and enjoy the treasures of New England. I don't remember who your Mayflower descendant is, but mine is Francis Cooke. I know you've had a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope your trip was everything you planned. Great way to start your Hubby's retirement. Beautiful Minis, your quilted chain in the border I love the most. I think of you often. Sorry I haven't seen your posts until today.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your minis are just beautiful Janet (as always). I hope you have a most wonderful time away. I am just now going to send you a link via email regarding how to fix the issue with silly blogger. xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your jinis are stunning. Hope you had a great holiday and that your hubby enjoys retirement.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful finishes. Glad you are enjoying yourself. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ah! I know where your cute mini quilts went too! What a nice trip you must have had. I live here in Topsfield, not too many miles from the New England Quilt Museum but I haven't been there - yet! I really have to make plans to go soon. I, too, am a descendant of one of the women on the Mayflower - Constance Hopkins, daughter of Stephen Hopkins. I'd love to hear more about your ancestors! I too hope your husband enjoys his retirement! Jan in MA

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love that chrome binding! I'm guessing that the thimbles went to Cyndi, so perfect and appropriate. Lucky girls. Loved the picture of you 3 on Wendy's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh what fun to meet Cyndi and Wendy !!
    Your minis are just beautiful as always !!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh How MARVELOUS these two minis are. So thoughtful and perfect for the receivers. The themes and colors are just fabulous. Chrome detailing! gave me a big chuckle.
    I'm so glad you had a nice getaway and that Ida didn't scuttle the whole trip.
    Looking forward to your future posts on it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are both beautiful in every way! And you are amazingly generous to give them away! How wonderful that you were able to meet with Wendy and Cyndi and spend time in Cyndi's wonderful shop. Sounds like a great trip with the NEQM added in at the end, too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. love them both, they are sew sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  22. These are such sweet minis, just beautiful and so perfectly quilted - and we know they will be treasured! Congratulations on your husband's retirement. It was smart of you to plan a trip to celebrate! I love that you love New England;).

    ReplyDelete
  23. I meant to add - I don't get comments via emails anymore either. What I do now, is reply from the comments section directly by clicking on the name, and then clicking on the email in the person's profile. It's a few extra steps but it goes fast now that I've been doing it that way for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I saw that you'd made it back east! Oh my goodness, you deserve that lovely trip! Congrats on hubby's retirement.
    Love both of your minis and the quilting is perfect!
    I've had comment troubles in the past. I changed it to not send emails, then changed it back and that seemed to fix the problem. I don't leave replys on the blog because I personally never go back and read a reply.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such lovely little quilted treasures you made! And it sounds like you are off on a wonderful adventure with retired hubby... Hope you have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Both the quilts turned out beautifully. Such gorgeous colours.

    ReplyDelete

I love to have your comments and feedback.