Saturday, July 3, 2021

A Belated Monthly Mini

I'm just going to pretend it isn't July yet, and post this as my June Monthly Mini, linking up with Wendy at The Constant Quilter blog.

This was Pam Buda's recent "Quilt Archeology" project and she called it Abigail's Doll Quilt.  It is based on an old doll quilt that she believes is a "cutter" from a larger quilt. It is originally a two color quilt. I bought the kit she offered on her website, and I planned to follow the two color theme, but you know me and two color quilts--love the look, but really struggle to make them myself. So, of course, I didn't.

 

 

 

This photo lets you see the quilting better. It is SITD around the triangles, and part of a cable pattern in the sashing. 


The backing is a piece that has been in the stash for a while.

 

The binding got stitched down while Zooming with Chooky and friends--such a fun time. I was on for a few hours in the afternoon, and joined up again for a couple of hours in the night. When you have a tedious step in a project that you have been putting off, this is a great time to do it. You listen, chat and laugh and before you know it, the task is completed and you didn't even notice how tedious it was.

My iPad only shows 9 people per page, but there were sometimes 20 of us on at a time, from Australia, New Zealand, Germany, Canada, USA--and probably more, but those are the ones I can recall from my time with them.

I've had the opportunity to Zoom with a couple of other blog friends this past month and I have to say, it's the next best thing to being there! Thank you, ladies, for your willingness to visit.

Yesterday I made a quick stop in an antique mall and looked through their vintage quilts.  This particular mall is crammed full and all of the aisles are narrow. There was nowhere to unfold the quilts. One in particular really caught my eye. I just took down the hanger and draped it over a pile of rugs. This is it.



 

Look at the dense quilting--the stitches are small and uniform.

Does anyone feel confidant in giving a time frame as to when they think this might have been made? I could find no label or signature/date in my effort to get a good look without being able to unfold it. 

Check out the beautiful Baptist Fans quilted to create a border around the outside edge.                                   

 



And the photo below shows the only stain I could find, without being able to open up the whole quilt. I am really tempted to go back and get this quilt. I keep telling myself I don't want to be a collector. But maybe it is too late for that kind of self talk. :)

 

Wishing my friends in the USA a wonderful Independence Day celebration this weekend, and I hope my Canadian friends had a lovely Canada Day--even if it was on lock down.

Be unexpectedly kind to someone today--they probably need it, whether you know it or not.

Until next time,

Janet O.

Oh, I meant to say that I got the follow.it widget all worked out, with help from their team. If you have been a follower via email, this post should still come through to your email. Please let me know if this is working for you.


 


30 comments:

  1. Love you little doll quilt, it's beautiful. Nice to have chatted to you today on ZOOM. :) The antique quilt is lovely. Hugs, xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your mini!! Go get the quilt...life is short, you know...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your mini - and I think your added color, and your quilting add so much! And speaking of quilting, wow, the quilting on the antique quilt is just fantastic! Are you going back for it? ;). I have no guesses as to age but definitely "old";). It was great meeting you over Zoom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your mini is lovely! It looks larger than what you normally make, but it's hard to tell. What are the measurements? I haven't participated in any quilting zooms. I don't like zooming very much, but I can see that it has advantages during the pandemic and will probably continue to be used now that everyone is used to it. If I had a lap top it would be more convenient to watch while doing some sewing. My computer is in the same room as my sewing machine, but unreachable while at the machine. I could do hand work, though. I really haven't known about any of those meetings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous find! I would want to possess it. And great little mini quilt. I have done a few ZOOM meetings...they are fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your mini is wonderful!! How fun to zoom while sewing! And yes, go back and buy the quilt!!! Happy 🇺🇸 day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your "June" mini!! The extra pop of color gives it some depth and your quilting is as stunning as ever!! And what???? Binding is NOT tedious!! It is soothing and the perfect time to sit down for a few minutes during a hectic day or at night while watching a bit of TV with your (my) little Bro!! That quilt is amazing!! It would be a wonderful contrast to your dark and dirty collection!! Hope your 4th is full of fun and family!! Love ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely little mini. The addition of the third color gives the little quilt so much more personality. The quilting is perfect. I'm going to have to come up to Logan and check out these antique stores that you keep talking about. What a charming quilt The colors and design make me think Pennsylvania Dutch (German) and there were a lot of German speaking people in Cache Valley in the early 20th century but I'm certainly no expert.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your mini. Perfect!

    The antique quilt is fabulous and I don’t know how you just walked away lol. Hugs and happy Fourth of July.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I got your new email just fine! Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your addition of a third color, this is a lovely little quilt.
    MaryAnn

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your mini, and the additional bits of color make it so much more interesting. And definitely you should go back and take a second look at that quilt to be sure the entire quilt is as gorgeous as your photos show. And remember, it's not a collection until there are at least three! Then if a fourth one comes along you create sub-collections for each category! From your friendly enabler ...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Abigails dolls quilt is just beautiful Janet & I love that you have used more than just two colours. That vintage quilt is rather stunning - how wonderful to be able to go & look through a pile of vintage quilts like that. I am too scared to try the email widget just yet - too many other issues with blogger 😉

    ReplyDelete
  14. Too late... you're a collector now :)
    Love your little mini quilt... and the cable designs are perfect for the sashing!
    I got your post through follow.it and it came through perfectly... I just popped on to the blog site to tell you that!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well done on getting your post up before you fell asleep! ha ha ha...it was so nice to spend some time with you as part of the Zoom meet yesterday. Your mini looked lovely on the Zoom screen but it was not done justice...just beautiful and love the cables in the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh oh ... your mini is lovely and I love all the fabrics you used !
    The antique is... wow !! And the quilting awesome !
    Happy 4th of July Janet !
    PS : i have your newsletters via Bloglovin' because I didn't received them via the blog ! I never had any problem with Bloglovin' !

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello from Iowa! Just wanted to let you know your blog post came through my email just fine. I also made the Miss Abigail quilt, but I used some hoarded indygo fabric from South Africa. I did draft those little bits around the edges that was on the original quilt instead of the plain triangles. I haven't quilted mine yet, but it turned out wonderfully as a flimsy! Your Miss Abigail is wonderful too! I do so enjoy making the littles!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Two beautiful quilts in one post! I like the look of simple quilts, but I tend to make them more complicated when I try to duplicate them. I wouldn't have been able to resist adding another color either! The vintage quilt is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely to meet you via Chookys zoom in Saturday. Your mini quilt is stunning, and that antique quilt looks beautiful, I can't imagine being able to go down the street and look at antique quilts. I think you might be a collector now 😁

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the mini, Janet. The quilting is fabulous!@
    I can't believe you passed up that gorgeous antique quilt. It looks so amazing. All that quilting!!
    Hope you had a nice 4th!
    The zoom with Chookyblue was FUN!!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. adorable mini...i was going to zoom with chooky but was at my daughter's...next time i hope...and wow what a vintage quilt! slippery slope you know...lol

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your quilting always adds a wonderful dimension to your awesome quilts. It's difficult for most people to stick with just 2 colors in a design. You almost did it! Yes, I agree, too late about collecting. It's a beautiful vintage piece.

    ReplyDelete
  23. If you really love the quilt then you will be so sorry you didn't buy it. What ever makes you happy.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a great June mini, Janet. Such a clever idea to do cable quilting in those sashing strips. Love it! I hope you went back and bought that antique quilt. It would be the perfect addition to your collection :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. First I have to say WOW I love the Lily quilt that you found. It is incredible and the quilting is fabulous. I like the fan border too.
    It is a great example of a timeless solid quilt. I would say it is from the 40s but I'm not an expert.
    Love your June mini quilting. What a pretty color combination too.
    I'm glad you are enjoying Zoom. After 18 months of zooming,I'm pulling back a little, but it is a great way to connect.
    Hope you had a happy Fourth.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Having added that third color really helps that little quilt. I would go back for that wonderful OLD quilt in a heartbeat, of course depending on what they are asking for it. Have a BUEAUTIFUL day, from here in the heat of central Oregon!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sweet friend, I do think it's a little too late! I have an idea ... make the minies and collect the biggies! Love the tulips; so pretty, and the quilting is just divine! I have a quilter's retreat the weekend of the 23rd ... can we catch up the weekend after?!? :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your mini looks great with two colors, Janet. I thought about making this quilt when she started... but didn't. Maybe sometime.
    The antique mall quilt looks so finely quilted. I noticed the Nile green and the red/orange and wondered if it was made in the 1940s when those colors were so popular.
    Is there a reason why you should not begin collecting quilts? Just wondering....

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love how you interpreted Abigale’s Doll Quilt, making it your own. The added color really makes it sparkle! I’m still working on my version.

    ReplyDelete

I love to have your comments and feedback.