Saturday, February 27, 2021

Monthly Mini--and what was I thinking?

It's that time again. I really intended to post more than once this month. I even had something to share, but I never seemed to have time to post, so you get the whole month's boatload in one post! Sorry. This month's mini is in homage to Wendy's August mini last year, which you can see here. 

I was so taken with her little quilt and finally had a chance to make a "tribute quilt" inspired by her creation! The 4-patches in this little thing are 1" square, and the quilt finishes at about 15"x17". 
 

I quilted the center section by machine, but just HAD to honor the beautiful border fabric with hand quilting along the curves. This was such a busy week and I didn't start this quilt until Tuesday. I don't know why I thought I had time to do any hand quilting, but sometimes it is just a requirement!   The photo below almost gives you a good view of the quilting--almost.

Linked to Wendy (The Constant Quilter blog) for the monthly mini links. Many fun and creative minis to check out in that post.

My Winter Retreat project from January 2014 is finally a flimsy! This is Pam Buda's Settler's Puzzle. As I said in a previous post, this is designed as a 2-color quilt. Though they look so beautiful, I get pretty on edge working with only two colors for very long. Hence my 4-color version. It will also be bound in green, if it ever gets quilted.

Hopefully it won't be another 7 years before this is quilted and bound--but you never know around here. I am thinking that when it does get quilted, feathers will definitely be involved.

I thought I was being so brave to sign up for Barbara Brackman's "Hands All Around" Alcott family themed BOM. (One block a month--not too late to join!) I have attempted to join her SALs in years past, but when I fall behind I tend to drop out--and that is what has always happened. I am determined to keep up this year. It is only one star block a month--how hard can that be? And you have a choice of 8", 12" or 16" blocks. Of course, I am making two blocks each month, and I am making the 8". Some people are doing one of each size. Mine will be in Civil War pinks and browns (obviously), and these are for the first two months. This is as far as I ever get before life gets in the way, so I am hoping to actually get month three made in March.

 

And then there is that other Pam Buda project on my design wall--Every Little Bit, from the June 2015 Issue of American Patchwork and Quilting.

I am on track to have all of the blocks made by the end of the year. That is my "goal", but it is a loose one. Originally I thought I would be glad to get the blocks made within 2 years, but the blocks make up more quickly than I expected, so it may turn out to be a one year project. On the other hand, who knows what curves life may throw as the year progresses.


 

 

 

 

 

 

And speaking of curves--my quilt for Cecile's QAL is all sewn together. I am toying with different Ideas for the quilting. I have a couple of months (I think) to get it quilted and bound, but I can't keep putting it off, or it won't happen. This is much more modern than my normal work, and the quilting style should reflect that. No feathers here!

 

 

 

Another project I had planned to do this year came from the October 2020 issue of American Patchwork and Quilting. I have wanted to make a bed size house quilt for years, and had saved a couple of possible patterns. But when I saw the one in this issue, I knew this was the winner.                                                                                   

I am doing my houses in a variety of Civil War blues, but the star cornerstones will still be red. I am also adding another row of houses.

I made my first block last month, but when I went to trim it up, I accidentally cut it too small. This will now have to be an orphan block and I will need to start again. Sharon at Grass Roots Quilting blog is making this quilt, and her top is finished. Click the link on her name to see it.

As if this all isn't enough "works in progress", I had ANOTHER weak moment (so many already this year) while reading Kyle's blog recently, and I am now signed up for Gay Bomer's BOW, Heartfelt--and it is another 2 color quilt. I have toyed with the idea of doing it in purple and cream--or possibly throwing in some cheddar, and maybe a pop of black. Strange color scheme, you think? I made a mini in this combination years ago, and I still love the effect. We'll see. But I am already behind a couple of weeks, so I hope I don't get discouraged. I know so many of you do so much more than this at a time. But I know my limits, and this exceeds them--so what was I thinking?!?

Like I said in the beginning, you got the whole boatload! Now take a few deep breaths as you look at this and see if you feel better. This photo was taken on my drive home from my oldest grandson's orchestra concert last Thursday--yes, I pulled over to take the picture. I think I pulled over about 4 different times to capture the changing colors, but this was my favorite.


 Until next time,                                                                                                               

Janet O.

 



39 comments:

  1. Ohhh la la !!
    What a fun post !! I love all of your projects !
    They are really beautiful !
    Thank you again for participating in the challenge curves.
    May I take your picture to add it on the FB group please ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. whew...out of breath just READING and LOOKING at all you have done...all beautiful projects--as usual--and you are way ahead of me this year so far for sure! good luck with the sew alongs! my curves is basted, ready to quilt...my only sew along this year...so far!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I just love that mini quilt! The colors, the quilting and that border! Gorgeous! Yes, you do have many projects in the works, but all are amazing! It's always relaxing to play with fabrics when it is cold and wintery outside! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Janet! Your mini is so pretty...love the hand quilting. You finished your Settler's puzzle!! That is one of my favorite quilts that you have been working on. I think new projects add some spice and fun to our lives, and glad you are joining in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you for getting some old ufo's finished. I love your mini. I like how you show how you quilted it from the back. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!! You are certainly very ambitious AND productive! The mini quilt is really pretty and the Puzzle quilt is wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are making some lovely quilts there :-) The mini with that gorgeous border is beautiful! As is the photo of that glorious sunset. I would have pulled over as well. We get peeks of sunset and when the sky really lights up I announce "sunset alert" and head outside for a better look. The colors never disappoint. We have an awesome Creator!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh you have been busy. YUM! I love it all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Omg! Your mini is magnificent! Amazing how your tiny 4-patches still demand center attention within that super glorious border. Lots of other cool projects to keep up with, but that’s what we do, right? I too, have a house quilt on my bucket list. I love the one you chose, and the fabrics so far.

    You get the most incredible sunsets! Is that the same mountain range that looked like it was on fire in another one of you photos? Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, and Wow, from beginning to end! Your mini is just fabulous with that gorgeous border fabric and tiny 4-patch blocks. You've made great progress on all your other projects, love the curves! When I saw your last photo it almost took my breath away, pure Majesty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love, love your mini. That border is gorgeous and surrounds those sweet 4 patches in a beautiful way. You've started some wonderful BoM's. Yes, how hard can it be to make one block a month! Your curved quilt is fabulous. You definitely branched out on this one, but it's great. Thanks for sharing so many projects and joining me in the Heartfelt BOW Can't wait to see your purple and cream color scheme.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your entire post Janet - its good to get the "whole boatload" sometimes. That photo is stunning & I think I would've been pulling over lots & clicking my camera too. Those mountains are so beautiful. I love everything you are working on but I especially love those Civil War pinks & browns - they are gorgeous. Happy creative week to you Janet. xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely beautiful mini. The 4 patches are highlighted so well by that luscious border. You have a *lot* of projects going on. I'm so glad you are doing Hands All Around! Your blocks are very pretty. I think your color scheme for Heartfelt sounds interesting and it's cool how you already have evidence that it works, in the form of a mini quilt. And lastly, I adore your start to your house quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow. Janet you are amazing! All these projects! So little time!
    Love your mini of course.
    Love love love the mountain picture!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You hacve my head spinning with all your projects. Things are really swirling around in your head I think. The first mini is so lovely....that border fabric is stunning. Love the idea of your purple and cream color scheme. What a sunset painted by God,

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great post! You are going to be so busy with all those projects. Absolutely love your mini with that fabulous border fabric. I think it's my all-time favorite. Beautiful sky and mountain view!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your tribute quilt, that border fabric is swoon-worthy. And the pink/brown blocks are lovely. I have enjoyed all the sew-alongs I have done with Barbara Brackman, keep this one going!

    ReplyDelete
  18. WoW! You've been busy. What lovely projects ... and what a lovely picture you captured! Thankyou for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my word, I am exhausted! First of all, I have never had anyone make a quilt as a tribute to me. I am so honored. And, of course what you have done with that fabric is sensational! I adore it. I don't know how you can keep up with all these great projects, but I did give a chuckle in the end when you said you were adding one more. Can't lose with a Gay Bomers sew-a-long. I love both Pam Buda quilts. I think you have done well to keep up with the Barbara Brackman sew-a-long too. My motto is, one month behind - no problem, 2 months behind - still doable, 3 months behind - into the UFO basket. Glad to see you are more determined than I am. Thanks for such a wonder mini quilt tribute. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  20. And, I forgot to mention how much I love your Cecile quilt-a-long top. I got overwhelmed with all your accomplishments! It is sensational. They have had so many followers this year. I love seeing them all.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful projects, and your mini is wonderful! I love your curves quilt too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Awesome projects. Never too many Rogue Quilter quilts. Your minis are all sew sweet. Hugs from Nebraska! Love your views

    ReplyDelete
  23. Whoa! You have certainly found time to do a lot of quilting this last month. I'm so happy for you because I know it has been hard to keep up with family responsibilities etc. The Mini quilt is so sparkly and happy. That border is just gorgeous. And, you matched the colors without it being overpowering. Congrats for the Settler's Puzzle finish. I haven't started the "Hands All Around" blocks yet. Maybe it's not going to happen this time. Love you pinks! "Every Little Bit" is just so fun. I'm glad things are coming together much more quickly than you expected with this quilt top. You'll be done in no time. So sad about the house. That would be discouraging for sure. I love the blue fabrics you have picked out. Maybe the smaller house can be your label. It looks like it has been a fun quilty month at your house.

    ReplyDelete
  24. So many fun projects! The border fabric on your sweet mini is wonderful—love it! I’m trying not to start another project, but it’s been hard, especially when I see so many great quilts like these. I started a log cabin quilt last summer, and have been doing a few blocks here and there—guess I need to get to work!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love your quilt and that border is absolutely gorgeous! Gotta scramble tomorrow to see if I still have any left!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow! I just finished all three of 2021's posts. You've been so BUSY! I adore all your minis. The mini made up with those Xblocks was amazing! Your tribute quilt here is spectacular! It's so rich and appealing ... just lovely!! I like your browns and pinks piece, too. I love that color combination, particularly! I like Barbara Brackman's BOM offerings. I'm just not good at FINISHING them (though Hospital Sketches *is* coming along). I love that you end on a landscape ... some day I'm going to make my way to Utah to get a gander of your gorgeous views in person. Yes! I hope you are doing well ... I keep you and your mom both in my prayers. Hugs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. The houses with the Civil War prints is my jam! I keep telling myself one day I am going to make a house quilt, as time is marching on, I need to get started

    ReplyDelete
  28. You're going to have a very busy sewing year! Have fun with it all! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I was tired out halfway through your post, Janet. You have so much in the works. I admire you!
    Your monthly mini is positively gorgeous. That border print is awesome and you chose perfect colors and fabrics for your 4-patch blocks. The quilting is the perfect finish!
    I love the quilt you began for your winter retreat. I get bored making many blocks of the same fabric but they always look so comforting, this one included.
    Such a beautiful sunset. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  30. what a wonderful post of creativity and inspiration.
    That sunset photo is absolutely stunning.

    Your mini is really perfect. When I first saw it I thought it was a full sized quilt. That is when you know you've nailed it. I just love it.

    Your curves project is so striking with the black.
    great to catch up with your other ongoing projects and blocks. Looks like a lot of fun things to work on.

    Ouch on the house block. I did that too, but i was making a humble quilt so I just added strips to make it the right size. Now I feel like it fits right in. Blues will be great for that project.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love your Pam Buda project! But of course all your projects are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  32. So happy to see what you've been up to, even if it's all in one post!
    That border fabric on your mini is gorgeous!!
    I love the house pattern you chose.
    I bet you are glad to get your old UFO top complete!! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Absolutely love your mini, and the fabric you and the inspiration quilt maker used in the border! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I am so happy to read that you like my house quilt that was published in American Patchwork and I can't wait to see it done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. OMGosh - you HAVE been busy, but my favorite is the appearance of the fire on the mountain photo. takes my breath away!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Your mini quilts always have a lot of inspiration and twists I would not have thought of--you know I love them! I have participated in very few quiltalongs but never fail to fall behind! I think you have it in you to keep working on whatever step you have going and get to the next one when you get to it! Inspiration is very contagious.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Wow what an amazing sunset photo! Your mini is stunning, you've worked with that border fabric really well...the hand quilting a nice finishing touch. Yaay to finishing some older projects - I like the extra colour you've used in Pam's two-colour quilt. And yaay to starting new projects - I hope you're able to keep up as you hope :-) Oh and well done on the curves challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  38. You are so prolific! Fun to catchup on all you’ve been doing.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  39. That border print is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete

I love to have your comments and feedback.