Saturday, March 2, 2019

Finishes and Fun Mail

The quilt for my Mom (made from my Dad's shirts) is finished and delivered.

Really happy with how it turned out. There is enough quilting to look nice, without being so much that it felt stiff. After washing it was soft and cuddly.



Mom was very happy with it. For all the quilts she has made, she only has two at her house--the one hanging behind her sofa that you can see behind her in this photo, and the one on her bed.
On the label of this quilt I explained that I quilted hearts on it so Mom could be wrapped in Dad's love.




I also finished off my Pam Buda Circa 1880 Club Small Quilt #1.
Couldn't resist feathering this outside border, and I rebelled against the directions that called for dark blue binding. I auditioned red, purple and pink for the binding--red won, obviously.

Another finish (kind of--it is a flimsy) is the half log cabin top. I started this just a year ago this month, a couple of weeks before I had shoulder surgery. You can read about it here.

I want to put a border or two on it. It will be for our youngest son one day. I took it up to our bedroom and laid it over the bed to see how much bigger I want it to be. That will play into my border decisions.
Hmmm...wonder if I can talk my son out of it. :)

Now for the fun mail. I received my little swap quilt (made from thrifted shirt fabrics) from Mary (quiltin grandma's blog). She used honeycomb shaped English Paper Piecing. I love it when I get a quilt made from a method I don't love to do--because I always like the look, even if I don't enjoy the process.

I took several photos, but this was the one I liked the best, posing it with some Valentine Teddy Bears I had yet to put away. Mary appliqued the edges to the border and then did straight line machine quilting. I especially love colors from the purple family that sing out from this cutie.
 There were a few goodies tucked in with the quilt (hmm, looks like the chocolate has dwindled a bit). Thank you for a fun swap, Mary!

More fun mail--Barbara (my joyful journey blog) has been selling some things from her sewing room. When it came to the quilts, I jumped at the chance to have this one come live with me. 
When she posted this finish I was so taken with it--for a minute I actually pondered whether or not I could bring myself to do enough applique to make one like it. I got over the feeling quickly! Happily, I can now hang it in my home without the pain of actually having to applique. Again, I love the look, but not the process.  :)

The final fun mail was this FQ that arrived from Wendy. I had recently lamented using the last bit of this fabric on the back of a quilt.

Soon afterward Wendy discovered this among some FQs she won at a guild meeting, and she sent it on to me. Thanks so much, my friend!

There has been more activity in my sewing room lately than it has seen in quite a while--and it has been fun!
Until next time,
Janet O.

29 comments:

  1. The feather border on the club quilt is wonderful! Are you using fabric from stash to make the club quilts?
    I do remember the half log cabin project. Wonder why!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely beautiful feathers in that mini border! I love your red binding pick too.
    Yea for the half log cabin flimsy. I have enjoyed watching this one come together....so glad to see them joined:) That's a beauty that you purchased. I know you will enjoy it a lot. Glad you are finding the time to get back in the sewing room. I remember the lament after the surgery on not being able to. So it is good to see you progress back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can jus hear your enthusiasm for all the sewing you are doing and I love it. Your Quilt for you mom turned out beautifully. I really admire the offset design of the blocks and the heart quilting. She'll treasure it I'm sure.
    Oooooh Weee that feathering is just lovely. You have really mastered the art if feathers that fill the space gracefully.
    Your sons' LC is great and at least it is staying in the family, right? IT is such a good masculine quilt.
    Sweet little swap with lots of nice extras :)
    What a wonderful quilt from Barbara Black. Just lovely - how could she part with it? I have to say it pains me as good friends, that you don't like applique' but I get it. Jill was the same way, she loved piecing just as you do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All beautiful eye candy this morning. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. such a labor of love for your mom...and i love that fabric too...no surprise that wendy had it! lovely little 1880...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Mom looked happy to be wrapped in love with the quilt you made. I love all your projects. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a very special quilt for your mother, and the hearts quilting was a perfect idea! Then next, as usual, your feathers are beautiful. I look forward to seeing how you quilt the half log cabin quilt. Keep having fun with your quilting; I always have fun looking at your work! ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such lovely quilts! It's good to see you are happily back able to sew again. We all are rewarded :-) The log cabin is tempting me to follow. I love that block! Your son will cherish this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What lovely projects you have going...love all that applqiue and I am so happy that you stuck to it! What a treasured quilt for your mom...she can smell your dad's cologne, maybe, on those quilt pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Janet--everything you do is wonderful! Love all your projects and the quilting is perfect for each one. The hearts on your mom's quilt make it extra special and the feathers on your little mini are so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The blue shirting quilt is outstanding. What a treasure, and the hearts are perfect. Your feather border is the excellent, I love everything about that piece. And what a buy, good for you. Some of my quilty treasures are from others as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Precious gift of a loved fabric and beautiful mini. So pleased you gave the quilter a beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your quilt top looks fabulous on your bed. I bet it feels good to have it completed. Well, maybe, you talked about borders. It looks great just the way it is. Thanks for sharing the picture of your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your quilts are wonderful! Love the photo of your mom with the quilt you made from your dad's shirts. You are the comeback kid after your shoulder surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The quilt for your Mum is wonderful and oh so very special! Love your feathery border on the mini. Happy quilting hugs from Kiwi land xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. That dear quilt you gave to your Mom - and the straight from the heart label...how very precious. So good to see all your other accomplishments too - know you are truly enjoying being in the sewing room and playing with fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The quilt from your Dad’s shirts is such a wonderful memory quilt for your Mom. Beautiful quilting on that and your small 1880 Club quilt. I am sure your son will treasure this quilt, but I understand how hard it can be to part with one of our “babies”. Pretty little hexie quilt. Chocolate doesn’t last long around here either. You certainly picked a winner from Barbara Black’s quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your sewing room has been full of activity. The quilt and your mom look perfect together. The feathered border is Awesome! Your mail has definitely brought you treasures. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So many beautiful quilts! A very thoughtful gift for your sweet mama. You have been busy!! Love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the quilting on the quilt for your Mom, I also wanted to let you know that I received the UFO package. I will post on my blog when I get started on it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. OK, so seeing your mother with the quilt you made from your dad's shirts...made me weepy. What an amazing daughter you are. And the quilt is really beautiful! If your son doesn't want or care for that quilt, I suggest we have him examined.....and then, I will be your honorary son LOLOLOL

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your mom's quilt turned out beautifully and now she has three quilts!! Your little swap quilt is adorable, love the one you bought , and your sons log cabin is gorgeous!!!!! I doubt he'll be letting that one go!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love so much about this post. The quilt for your mom is perfect. Your Small Quilt #1 is so wonderful--that border feather quilting is my idea of perfection and if and when I can do that, I will be a totally contented quilter. So glad my quilt has a happy home with you--it was meant to be. Lastly, that purple fabric you love is one of my most favorite too--hopefully, I'll stumble across some again.

    ReplyDelete
  24. So much to love in this post Janet. It really does look like you are back into the full swing of sewing and quilting. I love the shirts quilt you made your Mum, such a special sew and gift. And the half log cabin looks like a great way to use scraps so I might be checking out how you did it! Beautiful mini finsh and also great buying :-) Gorgeous wee swap quilt too. Whew, have I covered it all?!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Cite pose with the Valentine bears. Glad you like the little Quilt swap I made. Fun to make a Hug Quilt for your mom! I agree she'll love having a virtual hug from it. Pretty feathers and congrats getting the Log Cabin off the wall. A year isn't too long. Barbara's quilt is a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Seeing your mom snuggled in that quilt is so joyful.
    Lots of little quilts - all so pretty!
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh, Janet, your Mom's quilt is great and the quilting is amazing!! You are just getting better and better at the FMQ and your feathers are spectacular!! Fun quilt by Barbara!! And how cool is your swap quilt from Mary!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. great job on your Dad's shirts quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I just love the quilt you made for your mom! And the half log cabin quilt looks great on your bed...your son is going to love it! :0)

    ReplyDelete

I love to have your comments and feedback.