Wednesday, July 1, 2026

Two Finishes, and a 48-yr-old dream fulfilled!

 I am so excited to share this finish!

My Circa 1880 quilt, designed by Pam Buda, is completed!

I started this quilt in January of 2018. It has been an amazing journey, and I am grateful for each of the friends who have swapped blocks with me to make this a beautiful friendship quilt!

It took me two years to get it all assembled into a top (I did have shoulder surgery somewhere during that process). It took me another 6 years to finally decide how I wanted it quilted, and whether I would do it, or quilt by check. The checkbook won. Then it took several months to buckle down and bind it. I am thrilled with the results.

Hubby tried to hold it up over the deck rail so I could get a photo, but the quilt was too wide for him, and the sun was too harsh and made the quilt look strange.

And if you go HERE you can see the rogue blocks I added to every other row.

And if you scroll over halfway through THIS post, you will see a little explanation on how I labeled the rows of blocks that I received in swaps.

The second finish I want to share is from Lori's (Humble Quilts blog) doll quilt SAL, Summit. The last time I shared it, it was just the top, and I said I wasn't going to add a border. But one day, not long after that, I was in the quilt shop over the mountain, and I saw this Judie Rothermel fabric that was just calling out to me to be the border for Summit. So it is, and I couldn't be happier with the results!


This ended up about 22" square. I had made my 4 patches smaller than called for to accommodate the use of leftover stars from my blue and cream schoolhouse quilt.

I quilted around, and through each of the stars, and also did diagonal crossing lines through the neutral blocks of the 4-patches. I wanted something more in the border, now that the tension issue is finally resolved with my HQ Sweet Sixteen. So i used a stencil and pounce pad. Then I practiced on a sample piece.


This pre-binding photo gives you a better view of the quilting. But I hadn't yet stitched the Xs through the center of the stars.

This completes the quilty content. ;)

In May Hubby and I fulfilled a dream we have had since we were first married. We spent 8 days in Ireland, soaking up the beautiful countryside, the amazing ocean views, the castles and fortresses, the friendly people, and the incredible history! I can't begin to do it justice here, but I have selected a few favorite photos. You should be able to click on them to enlarge.



Lookout Point on Dingle Peninsula.






Irish countryside, with a view of the ocean.







Bluebells in Killarney National Park








Giant's Causeway







Cliffs of Moher











Kayaking on the Lagan River in Belfast


There is so much more I could share, but I will leave it at that. We really hope to get back again before we are too old to do some of the other things we would love to do there.

I had planned to get this posted in June, so it would only be one month past my blog anniversary, but since the clock just ticked past midnight, I did not make it. Welcome to July! I am putting together a little blog birthday package to gift in a drawing. If you are interested in participating, sight unseen (because I don't yet know exactly what it will include), please say so in a comment.

Are you enjoying the World Cup, or not a soccer fan? I do love soccer, and catch games whenever I can. 

Wherever you are, I hope you appreciate the beauty and diversity of this world we share. 

To my friends in Canada, Happy Canada Day, and in the USA, Happy Independence Day very soon. Let us stand for everything good in our country, and not sit idly when we can be an influence in a positive direction!

Until next time, 

Be creative and be kind!

Janet O.



20 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, what a packed full post, both Quilty and travel. Your friendship Circa 1880’s quilt is absolutely stunning! I can see why you opted to have it quilted and Baptist Fans look amazing! What an amazing finish. Your Humble Quilts Summit turned out fantastic and that border….perfect! Looks like your trip was amazing with good weather. I’d love to be included in your blog-aversary celebration give-a-way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow now that's a finish! beautiful quilt, no doubt hours of enjoyment getting it done...lovely doll quilt....a very lucky recipient i'd say.....beautiful photos of the emerald isle...my sis-in-law has dual citizenship so they've been and she's returning with her siblings to see family again this fall...

    ReplyDelete
  3. A long awaited finish, but oh how gorgeous! The Baptist fan quilting is perfect for your beautiful and creative blocks! I'm so happy that you and your hubby were able to fulfill a lifetime dream of seeing Ireland, how beautiful it is. It was on my list of places to see "someday" since I have Irish origins as well. In fact a year ago another lady from our church and I discovered that we are 3rd cousins with shared Irish heritage, what a blessing that has been.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on a long awaited finish, it is absolutely gorgeous! And your trip to Ireland is on my someday list as well. My husband and I just ticked Bermuda off our list, we planned to go on our honeymoon and cancelled to buy a house. We finally got there a month before our 41st anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wondered where that gorgeous header photograph was from. Ireland! Your trip must have been filled with breathtaking beauty!
    Your quilt finishes are lovely! The Pam Buda pattern is certainly a cherished one. I love the stencil you used for your border on the Humble Quilts sew along. Your additions made a really sweet quilt. Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on 2 beautiful finishes! Circa 1880 is fabulous! I’ve not yet been to Ireland, but I play a great tune on the accordion called “The Cliffs of Moher” - I hope to see them in person someday!😊

    ReplyDelete
  7. The comment above was me - Gladi Porsche.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful post Janet, well done o the finish of your C 1880's quilt is stunning, so many happy memories for you attached to that quilt. Your small quilt is beautiful too with wonderful quilting. So good to hear you got to Ireland, it is a beautiful country. I travelled around there back in the late '70's. Great country and people. I have been watching a little soccer, both sons have played over their lives. Nice to see the supporters getting on and I am amazed at the Japanese fans cleaning up the stadium after the game.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful quilts Janet. Ireland is an amazing country, a lovely place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Janet, I love your c1880s quilt. How amazing to have it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As always, your quilts are wonderful, big and small!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A Quilty finish that takes as long as it takes. Glad you got to Ireland. What an adventure. Yes to Blog Birthdays!! Mine comes next month. Happy stitching when you can.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I thoroughly enjoyed your long post and loved seeing your travels too. I find it hard to pick a favorite quilt, you make so many, but your circa 1880 has to be my current favorite! I love all the special blocks and settings you put in it. Congrats on your blog birthday anniversary. I miss not being able to continue mine from years ago, but always look forward to seeing your name pop up in my inbox. I know that means I will be treated to beautiful quilts and many times great travel pictures. Thank you. Dar in Mo. darquilts66@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. You must be so proud of this quilt and all the memories it holds. Just stunning. I’m so pleased that you were able to realise your dream of visiting Ireland. Your photos reminded me of places we visited there many years ago. A beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, Janet, congratulations on your BIG finish!! It is absolutely amazing!! With that being said, my favorite finish is your Doll Quilt SAL!! Precious!! And Ireland!! What a wonderful opportunity to see such gorgeous country!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy July 4th!! Your Ireland trip looks magnificent! It's the one country I'd go back to visit! Your quilts are fabulous! And the hubby did a good job hanging it ... the quilting is really shown off in that picture! I'm loving the soccer games and the fans from around the world! It's been so fun to watch! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your quilts are beautiful as always, but that first one is amazing!! Love seeing your photos of Ireland...going to Scotland is on my bucket list. And I'd love to be in your blogiversary giveaway drawing...I've actually just started sewing again so it's perfect timing! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so glad you got to see so much of Ireland. You got to see much more than I did. It is so beautiful! We learned that when Portuguese sailors got shipwrecked near the cliff of Moher, the Irish were so kind to them, the sailors never tried to go home!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm playing Catch Up Janet as I've been away. Two wonderful finishes & I love them both. Your quilting turned out superb. How wonderful that you got to visit Ireland - your photos are amazing & you have some great memories there. Those bluebells ... Oh My 💙!! xx

    ReplyDelete

I love to have your comments and feedback.