Friday, March 17, 2023

Working on 3 neglected projects

First up is a project I started back in October of 2015. Sure, I have UFOs that are much older than that, but the fact that I started this for a show being held in 2017, and it is still unfinished speaks volumes for how I feel about entering shows. Here, it is--my 2-color, mini Burgoyne Surrounded--frozen in time.


After completing my first mini Burgoyne Surrounded (seen below) I made the very uncharacteristic decision to enter a quilt show. Not with that quilt, but with one I was yet to make.
I was a member of our state quilt guild at the time and they had their Ruby Jubilee coming up in a couple of years. They were planning on a traveling Red/White quilt show around the state to celebrate the event. We were encouraged to make quilts to enter. There would be no judging--just voting by viewers on their favorites. Sounded non-threatening to me, and I decided I could make this a 9 block quilt (wasn't sure I could work with just 2 colors for more than that), and enter it in the "Mini" category of the show. I got busy on the quilt, but when the entry information became available, I saw that there was not a mini category. I had attended a few shows by the state guild in the past, and had seen a mini category, but apparently for this show they had decided to just lump everything together. For some reason that took the wind out of my sail and I never finished the quilt. And I have still never entered a show.

I have slowly worked on this now and then over the years, but it has been a while since I last pulled it out. I decided it is time to get this little quilt top finished. Using those pieces in the first photo, I completed all the 4-patch, 6-patch, and 9-patch units, and then did the critical sliver trimming that makes such a  difference in mini quilts. 

Next I sewed the pieces together by rows, and then sewed the rows together.
When sewn into a quilt, each block will finish at 3 3/4", and there are 97 pieces in each block. Crazy, huh? Seven of the 9 blocks are now completed, and the pieces for the other two blocks are laid out on design boards, and should be completed in the next few weeks.

The next neglected project is the labeling of my little quilts. Seven years ago I did a post about labeling quilts without labeling them. In that post I explained that I always attach a label to my quilts--I just don't always write on the label. At that time I bemoaned the fact that I'd had a stack of 45 little quilts that needed labeling. Well, it happened again.
Hubby took the photo of me above, left, while I was hard at work writing labels. On the right is the photo I took when I had completed the pile of almost 60 quilts this time around. I would go to my blog and work backward, writing dates and info on 4 or 5 quilts. Next I'd go back to the table, find those quilts, and fill in the labels.  Then the process would start again. I really hope to do better going forward, and finish the labels before I consider the quilt completed.

The third neglected project that has received my attention this month is my Churn Dash quilt for Chooky's SAL last year. The blocks finish at 9". A few of them have a 3" block in the center, and three of those have a 1" churn dash in the middle. I had all of the blocks made when they were supposed to be done, but I never made the deadline for the assembly of the top.
Still not there, but getting very close.
The empty space is the row of sashing I am currently sewing together. At the time of the photo the row above that space was not yet attached to the upper half (which is all sewn together). All the blocks below the blank space still need to be sewn into rows. Once this is all assembled I will be auditioning borders to make the quilt as large as desired. I am leaning toward a dark blue that would be similar to the sashing, but no decisions have been made.

It seems like most everyone I know is currently dealing with difficult, stressful things. You may be familiar with the following saying...
"When you meet someone, treat them as if they were in serious trouble, and you will be right more than half of the time."
I'm thinking we could be right almost all the time these days. I want to choose kindness, even when faced with the opposite treatment. Not easy--it has to be a very intentional choice, but I'm working on it.
Until next time,
Be creative and be kind.
Janet O.


We have had such a snowy winter, and have more in the forecast next week. I like winter--and I don't even ski, but I also don't have to shovel the snow. I used to enjoy shoveling, but shoulder and back trouble have made it off limits for about 6 years now. I can still enjoy the views of the snowy countryside and mountains. The dirt road along the edge of the family farm gives some great vistas on my evening walk.
This is looking east--the sunset is behind me, but the glow reflects onto the tops of the mountains across the valley.



30 comments:

  1. Wow, that mini is something else. Yes, we all have plenty of UFO’S . Good to see you working on some of them. I too have blank labels on the quilts I haven’t made for a purpose. You need to get that churn dash finished before our scrub Stitchin weekend. Good work Janet

    ReplyDelete
  2. amazing mini janet...as all of them are to me anyway....good to tackle those neglected projects i'll bet...my daughter, being an only, has a bit of thin skin when it comes to coworkers and so i do remind her that their lives are filled with stress as well and not to take casual remarks she might think hurtful too seriously....wishing you a calm and blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. whoops, not signed in...anonymous is cityquilter grace!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those mini quilts just amaze me, hard enough to get accuracy with larger pieces, so not sure how I would go with tiny bits. Beautiful scenery where you live. My churn dash has finally been quilted, but not sure if the organising lady has finished her top yet??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Honestly, I can't even imagine such teensy work. A fat quarter must seem like yardage! Absolutely impressed with your patience and workmanship.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your minis are always spectacular. I'm glad you're finishing up some of your wonderful projects. Having those quilt labeled will be a blessing for your family. Enjoy the moments.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that little red & white BS. It's going to be lovely. And, I enjoyed seeing the previous one in black and gold - so pretty. That is an enormous amount of mini's to deal with. I came up with 105 total that got belated labels. I think I might have made only 20 all together, you're amazing. It was fun to look down the rural road toward Mt. Logan and remember what it was like when I lived there. Things are always bustling around here with new builds and people moving in with more cars on the road. My heart longs for quieter times.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could not leave after reading your post without commenting about how glorious these mini quilts are and you are obviously a wizard at making them! Applause, applause!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your minis are amazing as always! Kindness is always the best choice, hard as it sometimes is. Hugs to you! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have the same problem as you with labeling minis! Very few of the monthly minis I made the past couple years are labeled and I keep putting it off. Maybe your blog post will get me going 😊. Your current mini looks like another piecing masterpiece. I agree with you 100% about the ubiquitousnesses of stress and would add “loss” to that. These are part of every life and it’s important for us each to have healthy ways of coping. Sewing can be in that mix🙂.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gosh Janet ... those tiny pieces you work on just about make me cross eyed! You do such detailed & delicate work - it amazes me the tiny details. I love your mini's & am lucky enough to own one & YES - it does have a wonderfully written label on the back! Thank You 😊
    I agree with your comment about choosing kindness. I remember reading somewhere that people you meet may be going through things you have no idea of so always be kind to them & it is very true. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is such peaceful vista for your walks, and how straight-as-an-arrow that dirt road. A walk down a quiet country road might be even better than time at the sewing machine to help keep our sanity in this upside-down world. My fingers can't fathom the tiny detail of your Burgoyne Surrounded blocks, they're increasingly needing larger pieces for quilting. I love your churn dash quilt. Do you plan to hand or machine quilt it?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh, those mini quilts are beautiful. I was aghast at the number of quilts you need to label, then reminded myself that they are minis! Your churn dash is looking beautiful, I know a lot of us are looking forward to seeing it completed. Beautiful snowy scenes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. (Little Penpen) I just love seeing your teenie tiny mini pieces! That’s a great pic your hubby took of you; doing what you love looks good on you! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  15. ooohh, those Burgoyne Surrounded quilts are so precious and tiny! I made a larger one and had difficulty. You are the piecing master. Good work on label your quilts. They are works of art and its important to document them.
    I too love snow but we had very very little. We used the snow blower only once. I always love to see the views on your property.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an extraordinary mini! And way to go on getting some unfinished projects on the road to being completed!! It always feels so good to get those done.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are a Mini Queen. Glad Gregg caught the Photo of you labeling your stack of Quilts. Your Blog is always fun to see in my feed! Saw lots of snow in the Blues, so glad it was just on the side of the roads. You COULD enter the mini in a different show, Just saying. It's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love that quote about how to treat someone when you meet them. 45 mini quilts to label?!! It doesn't matter that they are mini.....it's still 45 labels! Wowzier! Warm quilty hugs .....don't fall off your seat from having a comment from me. LoL

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! 97 pieces per block would have been my roadblock. You will feel good finally getting rhat one done. I love the thought you shared about kindness. Here's wishing you much motivation to keep plugging away on your UFO's

    ReplyDelete
  20. Last comment is from Janice at Color Creating and Quilting. I forgot to add my name!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, Janet, those Burgoyne minis are absolutely amazing! I don't know how you handle such tiny pieces.That's a lot of labels to catch up on but a good and important project. I'm loving your Churn Dash quilt. The top will be done in no time at all :) That is one spectacular view--WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Look at you, posting mid-month!! Your little red & white project is spectacular!! You do such fabulous mini-work! You got more snow ... I'm so jelly ... of that wowzer of a view, too! We've had plenty of cold, but very little snow. So sad! It's too late now ... now I'm ready for temps in the 70's, sunshine, and the lake! LOL! I appreciate your kind words about not know what people are going through. It's a smart perspective to take. Hugs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your Burgoyne Surrounded minis, Janet! Such attention to detail! We have had very little winter weather this year. Maybe a tenth of an inch. Some cold rain instead of snow. I worry about our water table.

    ReplyDelete
  24. All I can say is - WOW!! you are so amazingly talented and I find it hard to believe you have never entered a show. Think about the fact that if you never enter a show, we who are bloggers (and I'm afraid we are dwindling fast) are the only ones who see your work. I would be thrilled to attend a show and see your gorgeous quilts hanging there. Please reconsider and enter some of your fantastic quilts!! As usual, when I look at your miniature work, I have to pick my jaw up from the floor. Just amazing!!! And, that Churn Dash is sensational! I rarely make deadlines these days either, but who cares when the end result is so beautiful! Have a super day my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to second Wendy's encouragement to enter shows, Janet. In fact, I can imagine you having a one-woman show with every single miniature quilt that's still in your possession. Each given it's own space, I'm sure they would fill at least one wall of a gallery.

      Delete
  25. Wow, it's just mind boggling, these tiny pieces and blocks. Burgoyne Surrounded, what a challenge to make tiny and yet you really do it! I hope you will enter a quilt in a show sometime and that it will be a positive experience. In fact, you could have an exhibit all your own, within a show, of your stunningly beautiful miniatures! So true, that we don't know what other people are going through, but we know they are going through something right? Your mountain view is so beautiful. Glad you aren't shoveling snow;).

    ReplyDelete
  26. Such precision on the Burgoyne Surrounded blocks! Magnificent and amazing. Like you, I find it hard to make quilts with just two colors. The only thing that saves me when I do is being able to use many different fabrics. But I see you used just one red for this one you're working on. Do you pin the tiny pieces together to sew them? I can't imagine how you could align seams if you didn't.
    Good for you to get labels written for all your little quilts. Sixty labels is a lot!
    Your churn dash looks great. I like them on-point and the fabric you use for the setting triangles. It seems like that sew-along just sort of fizzled.
    Yes to kindness, and yes to it being an intentional choice. Frustration sometimes gets the better of me but always, I'm working on that choice, too.
    I longed and hoped for a snowy winter here in Ohio, but we've had only 2 or 3 snows, all of which melted quickly. Maybe next year!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your tiny piecing is breathtaking. I hope you finish the Bourgoyne Surrounded. The Tiny little churndashes withing churndashes blow my mind, and they are a great surprise addition to the quilt. As for quilt labels...right there with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I've always wanted to make a BS quilt! Not as tiny as yours though! lol Good job on labeling those quilts!!
    It seems like our winter is really hanging on this year. Love seeing the snow pack on the mountains, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I, too, have a Burgoyne Surrounded UFO! I've only made one of the blocks so far. I think it's 16", so definitely not a mini. I'm going to try to get some of the many UFOs in my collection to the flimsy stage this year. Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete

I love to have your comments and feedback.