Friday, December 2, 2022

November Monthly Mini

It is still November, isn't it? (kidding--or maybe wishful thinking) 

When I found time that I could sew during the month of November, I could not seem to locate my sewing mojo at that same time. So this little thing, that was made from a bunch of tiny 4-patch blocks create as leader/enders, was all but bound as November came to a close.

Not quite a fall color scheme, but I already had this center assembled. It wasn't difficult (even with no mojo), to slap a couple of borders on from leftover strips from another project, and do some quick, straight line quilting with my walking foot. This finishes at 6 1/2" square.

This photo below gives you a better size perspective, because you may not be able to tell that the carnations in the soft, fuzzy photo above (accidentally taken in portrait mode), are miniatures.


Linking up here with Wendy of The Constant Quilter blog (her mini is gorgeous). Click on her link to see the list of other merry mini makers, and check out their creations.







I had one of those monumental birthdays in November, and my youngest son (seen below, sitting beside me) gifted me with the game we are playing. Can you pick out the box? Calico is the name, and it is a clever strategy game that you wouldn't expect from a game about quilting--and there are cats involved. The winner receives the Master Quilter ribbon my older son is holding up. I played two games with my boys, and they each won one. How did that feel? Just look at my expression. ;) But it is a fun game.


I am slow with my Christmas decorating this year, but we did spring for a new fake tree last week, and I now have the decorating of it completed. You can see the decorations better with the lights off, because it has about a bazillion tiny lights. So here it is without the lights on. I definitely lean toward traditional, old-fashioned tree decor. Vintage glass balls, lots of handcrafted ornaments, and ornaments picked up on family vacations. The tree skirt was made by my mother. Just simple patchwork, and I love it!


The thing I love most about this tree we bought is that it looks like real evergreen branches--all the way to the trunk, not just on the tips, like some trees we saw. And the needles feel soft and realistic. I've waited a long time to be able to get a tree like this. If I can't have a real tree, at least it can look real, and I'll put pine essential oil in the diffuser.

If you are in the mood to make a sweet little Christmas quilt, check out Pam Buda's latest post here, for her Holly & Berry pattern. You can even see the vintage doll quilt on which it was based. I love it, and downloaded the free pattern (until December 5th), but am being true to my "No New Starts" rule--for the time being. If you don't do Christmas, it would look great in any color scheme.

I have done a poor job of blogging this year. I hope to do better in the new year, but during December I doubt I will improve much, if any. Just way too much going on right now, and only some of it is holiday related. 

I wish you all a wonderful December, whether it is your winter or summer. I am going to try hard to post at least a second time this month--and not just for the monthly mini. Of course, that means I need to get some sewing done. We'll see how that goes.

Until next time, be creative and be kind--even to yourself.

Janet O.



22 comments:

  1. Another perfect mini! I hope to get started on my holiday decorations this weekend. I have a fake tree too, so I may try the infuser trick. Congrats on your willpower with the No New Starts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely little mini as always...gosh janet you have sons that old??? doesn't seem possible...lovely tree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Grace, it is hard to believe how many years have flown by since we met up in New Hampshire! And those two boys (grown men) pictured above are my youngest children!

      Delete
  3. Your November mini so sweet with those lovely pastels all working into the floral binding. A lovely finish! Happy Birthday to you :-) Mine was a milestone year back in April. It came with sticker shock! HA!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your comment about being a bad blogger this year. No one has been as bad as me! I feel like a slug! I do promise to be better and it is so nice to get back into it with your sweet little mini. I'm sure you know how much I adore it. In fact, it is very much like one I am looking at right now hanging in my sewing room. It too was made by a special quilter from Utah - wink! It looks like you had loads of birthday fun. I will have to look into that game. It sounds like fun. Your tree is gorgeous and I would never have suspected it was not a real tree. It is just beautiful! We have to do some thinning out this year so our tree will be real, but very "Charlie Brownish"! Wishing you the joys of the season!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sew good to hear from you and see the fun you have been up to. Will have to look for that game to play! Must be new! A Very Happy Birthday to you! When I got to 60 I called it Three-Score. Now I'm past Three Score and Ten! Have a beautiful holiday season and Merry Christmas to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your masterful mini is just perfect for these dark and dreary late November-early December days! We need a little springtime hope! Your new tree is beautiful, not sure if we will even have a tree this year, we had decided to skip that part of the decorating but my son and his family are planning on spending Christmas Eve and early Christmas morning with us, so ... We (I) need to get started on retrieving all the holiday decorating 'stuff' from its various storage areas, wrapping gifts, etc. etc. So much for sewing time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your mini is so cute. Great Christmas tree, it does look quite realistic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh that mini is so tiny & gorgeous Janet. You make it sound so simple & like you just "throw some borders on" but it would take me days & lots of unpicking I feel 😊 Your new tree is beautiful. I have done my decorating - it has taken me a whole week as I am incredibly slow after this Covid bout. But at least it is done for this year. I went to the link & that mini quilt pattern is just gorgeous but it would be beyond me ... it sure IS stunning though & those colours are beautiful. Belated birthday wishes Janet & the game your son gifted you looks just wonderful. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adorable what you can do with no MOJO and a few 4-patches. I'll watch for another post later this year, since it's the last month of this year. My Baby is 36. When did that happen? The boys didn't let the Quilting Queen Win? Better wear your Tiara next time. Merry Christmas! More Nativities to post tomorrow. I haven't been the best Blogger either in 2022.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Janet, I haven’t started decorating yet, just baking. Maybe tomorrow…

    ReplyDelete
  11. First of all, wishing you a very Happy Birthday. You're the masterful mini quiltmaker. The pastels are just so happy. You have a real talent to " just put something together." Some years I can decorate nonstop and get out tons of stuff. This year I'm going simple yet festive hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your mini is very cute!! And once again too much going on and I missed your birthday AGAIN!! Looks like it was lots of fun!! Your new tree is gorgeous!! Hope all is well with you!! Lots of love!! XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday, Janet! What a wonderful way to celebrate playing Calico with your sons. Will have to check out that game :) Your mini is so cute and cheerful. Like Kyle said, "you are the masterful mini quiltmaker!." We haven't even begun to decorate much less get a tree. Yours looks so pretty. Beautiful sky photo!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your tree looks beautiful. What a thoughtful (and fun?;)) gift from your son. Happy Birthday, belated. Your mini is another wonderful colorful mini with the tiniest of pieces. I really think the two-color border adds a lot to it. December is well underway, hard to believe!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful, tiny quilt, Janet. The colors are delightful -- and so different that those you usually choose (I think).
    Those little white lights are so enchanting. We also lean toward a traditional tree, also. Many years ago a friend from Idaho saw our Christmas tree and was surprised at the variety of ornaments we had on it. She said she only knew of themed Christmas trees but loved ours and began making and collecting ornaments. Since then she calls trees like ours Ohio Christmas trees. It was funny to me that I'd never seen a themed tree before (and thought them horribly boring).
    So sorry you didn't win Calico. Maybe next time?
    Belated wishes for a Happy Birthday. I hope it was grand!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Another fabulous mini! And your new tree is beautiful! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG happy special birthday...............21 was it again???
    You mini doesn't look to small in the first pic but the second one OMG...........
    love your tree.....I want one like it......got to get all my stuff down........got my bubba for Christmas......

    ReplyDelete
  18. I still have the tree skirt my mother made in the 80's under our tree. It is made from scraps she produced making all those stuffed animals and dolls that were popular at the time. She made 100's and sold them to keep my brother on his mission. The Mini is adorable. I love what you chose for the binding.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fun game to play with your family! Happy Monumental Birthday! Your new mini is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I’m rather late in commenting. Your mini little mini is so cute in those fabrics. I like traditional style tree decorations too and your new tree is the perfect platform to display yours. Wishing you a very Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy belated monumental birthday!! Your mini is stunning. The game looks great.

    ReplyDelete

I love to have your comments and feedback.