Monday, February 28, 2022

February Monthly Mini and the Month in Review

Has it really been a month since my last post? And I have so little to show for all the days that have passed. In fact, my Monthly Mini is hardly worth mentioning. But I must, so here it is.


This is truly a little thing--5" square. That means the blocks finish at 1 1/4". It is a mug rug I made for my retreat buddy. Her name is Kim, so I made this from Kim Diehl scraps.  I'm linking with Wendy, (The Constant Quilter) the organizer of our monthly mini roundup. Check out her blog to see what the others have made for February.

Aside from this bitty thing, I have spent a little time here and there continuing to assemble my Sentimental Stitches Heartfelt top, from a BOW with Gay Bomers last year. I left out the appliquéd medallion center, and any other appliqué blocks. These are 8" blocks. I've set them on point and added my favorite sashing and cornerstones. It's coming along. 

The top left side is sewn together. The middle row needs the sashing attached on either side before it is added to the mothership. The lower right side is all still separate blocks, sashing pieces and cornerstones. The fabric hanging on the right side will be the outer border. I am trying to decide whether or not to put a narrow cream strip between the setting triangles and that outer border.

I hope everyone had a nice Valentine's Day--two weeks ago. Hubby and I decided not to brave the crowds to eat out that night. Instead we had a pancake brunch at a small local pancake shop that has yummy gluten free pancakes on their menu. I had mine smothered in strawberries and cream.We sat in their loft, and  I tried to get a selfie of the bright red wall behind us, which seemed so appropriate for Valentines.

After brunch we shopped for strawberries. We found lovely ones at the FIFTH store we tried, and I bought 9 pounds of them. Came home and dipped most of them (I love everything about dipping strawberries), and delivered them to widows, elderly, family, and friends. It is my favorite Valentine's Day tradition!

I have talked before about the Tiny Club at the quilt shop over the mountain. It was a 3 session class that ended in January. But happy news--there is a "Part II"! We get three more months of tiny blocks, with 3 new rulers to go with the patterns this time around. Below, left you can see Lynn showing what we could be making with the next group of patterns. If you are interested in Lynn's patterns and rulers, you can click the link above to contact the quilt shop for info.
Well, I actually joined a guild in January--it is called Sew Small, of course, and focuses on small and miniature blocks. Lo and behold, at the February meeting there was Lynn again! (Photo above, right.) It is amazing what he can figure out with those tiny pieces. 

I haven't started on the second series of blocks yet, but this shows what I have made so far. First look at the photo on the left. Then look at the right to see a size perspective with my hand in the photo. These all finish at 2".
These three blocks at the bottom are ones I had made from my own patterns. 

I finished up the month with a fun evening Zooming with friends from around the world, with Chookyblue of Australia playing host. What fun we have, even if the Australians got pretty excitable this time about their many frustrations with American spelling. (Don't bring it up with them. It's a touchy subject.)   ;)
There were several more participants than this, but my iPad mini only shows 9 per screen.
What a joy it is to be able to visit across the continents and talk about things that matter most, and things that really don't matter at all, in the grand scheme of things. It can be one of the worst days, but I come away from these sessions uplifted and smiling. Thanks, gals! You are wonderful tonic in these crazy times!

My hopes and prayers are for a quick end to the invasion of Ukraine. My heart is with those who have had to evacuate, those who have been separated from loved ones, those who are taking up arms to defend their country, and those who have family in Ukraine. May this be over soon!

Janet O.





27 comments:

  1. It was good to see you in Zoom, you made good progress on your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was lovely to see you in Zoom on Saturday. I don't know - I think you did all right for the month. It is just that your projects are tiny, so don't take up as much room with show and tell. I love the quilt you were working on in Zoom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this makes my heart goes pitter-patter. A lovely large sampler and oh, those tiny blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a perfectly charming mini! Absolutely adorable! I'd hesitate putting my mug on that one, I'm a spiller and this one is so cute! I cannot believe the progress on your Heartfelt top. Simply gorgeous! And those tiny 2" blocks make my head spin! I love your strawberry gift tradition. What a sweet thing to do. Pardon the pun! You and Gregg look so happy being out on such a special day. Enjoy the week and thanks for another super mini!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And... I 'm sorry I missed the Zoom with you all. No excuses, just sorry I missed it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your February Mini. That is one of my favorite blocks. The strawberrys look delicious. So wonderful of you to do that. I am always amazed at the workmanship in the tiny blocks. That's something I don't think I could do. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your purple (hard to tell it is purple) top is coming along every so nicely! Gosh, those blocks are so small. How do you get them to lay so flat? It was nice zooming along with you and the others.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice to read your blog this morning on the start of National Quilt Month! I have more quilts to get ready for the Tri-Cities Show later this month. Hanging sleeves and labels. I love your quilt on point. I know it's a lot of work but sew worth it.
    We had a quiet V-day with Paul's Cataract Surgery. Glad you could Zoom with Quilty friends.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So a mini-mini this month! So cute, and tiny! I love how your larger quilt is looking, all those lush plum shades in the blocks and setting triangles. And those strawberries look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your mini mug mat is as sweet as it can be. Then your mini assortment of blocks is incredible. You have a real talent for sewing those tiny bits of cloth into perfect submission. My Heartfelt top is off to the Quilter's. It's amazing how different they look. I like the blocks on point.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your little quilt is stunning Janet! Also the one on the design wall. Wow, those 2 inch blocks are super detailed and tiny! You are very clever making those. Nice Valentines Day outing and it is lovely of you to deliver all those dipped strawberries. Chookies zooms are the best aren't they!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gosh your mini is adorable Janet. So tiny & detailed. Your Valentines Day outing sounds perfect & those dipped strawberries look wonderful too ... what a lovely treat for others. So kind. xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love to work small but, my, those are amazing little blocks, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The mug rug is colorful and cute. I keep telling myself I need to make some. I have one only and I use it all the time. I love the purple quilt. It has the beautiful shades of blue violet and has such wonderful workmanship. I wouldn't change a thing. Your small and miniature blocks are so sweet. What is it about making something small that makes it so adorable. How nice that you could join a new guild for the exact part of quilting you like best. I would love to join a guild that just does applique but the only ones I know about are private - invitation only. I need to dip some strawberries too. They are just the best. Lovely blog post today.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE your mini! It's very bright and cheerful! I dipped hundreds of strawberries where I used to work. They are yummy! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  16. When you make a block with such tiny pieces of fabric, Janet, I always think it's worth mentioning! It is a sweet "little thing!" I'm always amazed at what tiny pieces of fabric you use.
    Your Heartfelt top looks great. I didn't participate in this sew-along which is probably why I don't remember it.
    Yum to your chocolate dipped strawberries. I remember when these were first introduced to me. In my mind the combination of strawberry and chocolate was not appealing, and then I tried one. Wow! It's a fun Valentine's Day tradition. So glad we can find strawberries in February. Our ancestors would have been amazed!
    Your tiny blocks are amazing!
    My heart goes out to the people of Ukraine. I pray they have the strength to overcome the Russians. I am concerned that this is the beginning of something similar to Germany's greed in the 1930s and -14s. Of course, I hope not, and hope that this conflict will end soon in favor of Ukraine.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your mini is just adorable! And only 5 inches? You get the award for tiniest piecing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a cute little mini. 1-1/4" blocks?? I can't imagine working with such small pieces but will enjoy looking at yours! Love the way your Heartfelt quilt is coming together in that wonderful setting. It looks like a wonderful place for a Valentine's Day celebration! Oh, I love strawberries and your tradition of hand-dipping and delivering them to family and friends is the best. Well, that Sew Small guild is right up your alley :) What fun to Zoom with friends around the world! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fabulous post!! But by golly, you have solidified the fact that you are nuts, dear friend!! I thought the mug rug was tiny until I got to the end of the post and saw the REAL tiny blocks!! Yikes!! They are truly exquisite and it is always fun to see guy quilters!! It makes my heart sing!! A few good men in a sea of women!! And your zoom meeting looks like a good time for all!! I miss you dearly and Kelly and I speak of you frequently!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. yowza janet....tiny treasures every single one! what fun you are having....i guess i missed you on zoom...i left after 4 hours...maybe next time!

    ReplyDelete
  21. So so so sweet! I love your 5" mini treasure!
    So many wonderful blocks... great job on your on point sampler!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The mug rug is gorgeous! You seem to be in mini-block heaven at the moment - lots of inspiration. Your Heartfelt top is going to be amazing - very effective in that colourway. It sounds like you had a lovely Valentines Day ♥ I missed the zooming, with Mum staying, but hopefully next time I'll be around.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The tiny blocks are just mind blowing! That is fun that you found a guild with that specific focus! Your dipped strawberry tradition of giving is so nice. And your Heartfelt quilt it looking great.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Loads of pretty quilting here. And like everyone, I am amazed at those ultra tiny blocks. Such little beauties. All perfectly sewn. How clever you are!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love your monthly mini.... You won't is coming together....I do love on point....
    The world is insane at present so it's great to escape with zoom and yes I feel better after a session also
    ....

    ReplyDelete
  26. Heartfelt is gorgeous! So is your sweet mug rug.

    The Zoom get together looks wonderful. Great way to connect!

    ReplyDelete
  27. cute mini this month and OH MY is your BOM ever gorgeous. LOve those purples.
    What a sweet tradition to deliver chocolate covered strawberries. Yours look professional!
    Your tiny blocks are a wonder to me. I love to see them.
    Glad you found a good zoom group.
    Poor Ukraine. I'm praying it ends soon too.

    ReplyDelete

I love to have your comments and feedback.