Saturday, December 18, 2021

The Stockings Were Hung...

...on the Shaker peg rack in the kitchen, because I don't have a mantel. :)

This is the sum total of my sewing since my last post over 2 weeks ago.

DD#1 reached out a couple of weeks ago to see if I would have time to make stockings for her 3 family members. How hard could that be, I wondered? Even the fact that she wanted each one a different patchwork design made out of recycled men's shirts didn't deter me. And in order to make sure she would receive them before Christmas Eve, I had two weeks to complete them.

She was kind enough to link me to the excellent tutorial at Cluck, Cluck, Sew, which gives great instructions for the method, but has no pattern. I used a shape from a pattern my other daughter still had from a class she had taken with her sister many years ago. The tutorial also tells you how to adapt the double hourglass block in another of her tutorials to make a small block for the stocking. My daughter loved that design, so of course, I had to make one. Keep in mind that I only had 2 weeks in which to finish all three stockings. That double hourglass stocking took every spare minute of that first week! I had to simplify!

The next design I attempted was the chevron design created with HSTs. This went much faster. From cutting to having the stocking front and back sewn together, it was finished in one day. I didn't attach the cuff, hanging loop, and lining until I had  the name and holly stitched on the cuff.

The final stocking was the alternating pinwheel design. It took two days of my sewing time to create. Without a pattern that specifies the stocking shape and how many blocks on each row--or even what size blocks, I would just make blocks and lay them out, place the pattern over it and see if everything was covered. I would try to take into account the shrinkage that would happen when it was all sewn together. But sometimes I missed my guess and had to add a row, or add blocks to the ends of rows as things came together. After 1 1/2 weeks the three stockings were created, but the cuffs needed finishing.

I spent whatever sewing time I could scrounge over the next couple of days getting names and holly stitched on the cuffs and assembling all the parts to complete the stocking. I made it within the two weeks, but just barely. 

I never would have made it without my new best friend in my sewing room, an Accuquilt Go!Big cutter. This was gifted to me early in the year (THANK YOU--you know who you are!). With Mom's needs, and then her passing, and my husband's retirement and our "retirement trip", it took a few months before I was really able to play with it and get a feel for what it can do for me. I am using it on several projects that are in the works, and on these stocking I used it to cut all the 1 1/4" strips for the double hourglass stocking. The 2" finished HST die cut every triangle for the Chevron pattern, and I didn't have to square up a single block. Using the 2" finished square die and the 1" finished HST die, the final stocking went together so smoothly and, again, I didn't have to square up a single pinwheel block. 

If you want to attempt making patchwork stockings, I highly recommend the links above--but maybe give yourself a little more time to get them finished--like next Christmas! :)

In the midst of all this stocking mayhem, we held meeting #2 of the Tiny Club at Village Dry Goods. Lynn has outdone himself in coming up with creative ways to make a 3x3 grid out of 2" finished blocks. Look at what he shared with us this time.

Some of you have already contacted Village Dry Goods about getting Lynn's rulers and patterns. They are trying to accommodate those who want to purchase them, so check the link above and get in touch with them, if you would like to join this mini madness!

Lynn had very concise "storyboard" samples of each of this month's four new blocks. Though I haven't had a chance to try making any of them yet, I am really anxious to see what I can do.

 

Recently I heard a more succinct version of the old familiar saying, "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all." This one is simply, "If you can't be kind, be quiet." We could use a whole lot more of both--kindness and quiet!

My prayers and thoughts are with those whose lives were devastated by the tornadoes. 

Until next time, 

Janet O.

Leaving you with another recent sunset, captured on a brief, chilly walk a few evenings ago.



31 comments:

  1. Janet, I really admire your tiny patchwork...those stockings are amazing! two inch finished blocks? wow!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. adorable stockings and beautiful photos..no snow here of course...love the motto...so badly needed these times...woke up to 7 shootings and 2 deaths overnite...violence in baltimore is constant and escalating...amd wow those tiny blocks! so not my thing but know you are probably swooning over them...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable stockings! The children will love them. And of course, I love those tiny blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful stockings, great job! And your view is inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. little blocks are lovely, stockings so clever, but that sunset ...mere words cannot describe. Silence is the best comment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Christmas stockings are beautiful. Great job. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an unbelievable view you have. 😍 and your stockings are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wowza!! Your Christmas stockings are beyond beautiful!! Lucky, lucky, lucky daughter and family!! I absolutely LOVE your new heading picture!! Not only is it magnificent but it brings back such fond memories!! And that sunset . . . oh my!! Hope you have a wonderful Christmas!! I love you my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on finishing these amazing stockings on time... they are beautiful!
    I do love seeing these tiny blocks :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! That sunset is beyond beautiful! I love the small mini blocks and the adorable stockings. You are making great use of your time :-) I'm praying along with you for all those effected by those tornadoes. So many people are going through hard things right now. I'm praying they are blessed with peace and comfort from our faithful God as well boots on the ground people helping them through.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Seeing your new header took my breath away. It is so familiar. That's my childhood in a nutshell, the peace and strength of being so near a temple and the snow. . . the lovely snow. Your stockings are so delightful, so exacting, and just the right shades of color. I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful Stockings. I don't hang stockings anywhere, anymore. It will be a very Quiet Christmas since we are meeting on the Day after as a family in Tri-Cites. 4 of the 6 families, Can't complain. Love the Temple Picture and that Sunset view! Glad you got a GO Big! I still have just the Baby I WON in 2011. Grateful to be done stitching. Update on what I gifted will be after Christmas. Hope your package made it. Merry Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful stockings. It is always so fun to fill a request, last minute or not, isn't it.

    lizzy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful stockings! Thanks for all the details on how they were done - maybe next year I’ll try one 🙂. And that sunset photo is amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG...Your stockings are absolutely amazing!!! And thanks for the sunset. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gosh that's a fabulous sunset photo Janet - the colours are just stunning!! You sure do capture some amazing ones. I just LoVe your stockings & no wonder they took you two weeks to make ... lots of work in those beauties. Wishing you & yours a wonderful festive season Janet. xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your Stockings are so wonderful. The double hourglass is a great design. I love the old timey look of these and I'm sure your daughter was absolutely delighted by them. An instant family heirloom.
    Lynn's tiny blocks are really something and I'm sure you'll master those tiny pieces.
    You header is beautiful is that your local Cathedral? The sunset is majestic. I read somewhere that this time of year produces special sunrise and sunsets because of the tilt of the earth.

    ReplyDelete
  18. the Christmas stockings are adorable with all of those plaids. I know your daughter will love them. The sunset photo is gorgeous. We have been having some beautiful ones too. Must be sending them on to you! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those stockings can only be described as new family heirlooms! What beautiful and unique creations they are! Your glorious sunsets are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, these stockings are fabulous. Glad you are using your cutter and enjoying it. These tiny blocks look a wee bit too small for my patience but I do love the look of them all playing together. Wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  22. Merry Christmas Janet! Your stockings are incredible!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my word! How ambitious of you to make such amazing stockings - and in only 2 weeks? Mind boggling. I do wish for more sewing time for all of my friends in 2022. I know some people don't understand that sentiment, but if we don't have our creative time, well... I love your new header photo. Is that your church? Amazing. I wish you and Gregg a very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  24. WHOA!!! Your stockings are amaaaaazing!!! Great job, dear friend! I was so happy when I asked Jocelyn if she needed a new stocking for Ezra, that she reminded me I made an extra one, "just in case", when I made her family's stockings four years ago. Thank goodness for foresight! LOL!! How fun to use the Go! cutter, too!! I love using our die cuts at work for applique (fabric and wool) ... it makes things so much more precise and it's definitely faster! You've been on my heart this season. Praying for you as always. Merry Christmas, my dear friend!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful piecing on those fabulous stockings!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful stockings Janet! Yes, the Go cutter can really save some time. Great job getting them done on such a tight schedule. Those tiny blocks are amazing. I agree, be kind or be quiet. Merry Christmas to you and yours and may you have a blessed New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow! What a beautiful sunset Janet. Those stockings are beautiful so much work in them! Love, love, love those mini blocks, scary to make but wonderful to look at!! Very happy Christmas to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your stockings are fabulous, Janet! So many small pieces, such detail, and such accuracy. I think all could be your trademarks. And you made them so quickly. I don't work well under pressure. I might have finished one of them....
    Lynn's tiny blocks: wow!
    I love your new header photo. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh my lordy be those blocks are tiny...... The stockings look great ......

    ReplyDelete
  30. OMG you made all three in 2 weeks...seriously impressive, I'd have probably got as far as one toe in two weeks! ha ha ha...they are all so lovely...

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh my goodness! What beautiful stockings. You outdid yourself, Janet! You are amazing working with such tiny pieces. Love that gorgeous sunset!

    ReplyDelete

I love to have your comments and feedback.