Saturday, September 18, 2021

New England Visit--Part 2

 

 

 

 

 

 

Cyndi Black's quilt shop, The Busy Thimble, is like a cottage in the woods in Litchfield, Maine. Wendy Reed drove me over the winding, hilly roads of New England to the quaint shop. I had been here once before with my daughter, six years ago. I was so happy to be back again, and be greeted by this wonderful sight--that is Cyndi on the porch to meet us.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Once inside, I let my monthly minis from last month go to their new owners.


 

We had a chance to look over a wonderful work in progress that Cyndi brought out to share.


And we did some serious fabric shopping, while talking and laughing, and solving the world's problems. Quilters are so good at that!

But I want to give you a trunk show of Cyndi's wonderful little quilts from all over the shop. I was in small quilt heaven! Hang on, and enjoy! Click to enlarge the photos to get a better look.

In this one Wendy is being a good sport and standing in the photo, too, because I told asked her to. 


 

 

 

 

For some reason, this photo will not enlarge like the others.











Wasn't this a fun show of little quilts? I have more photos, but you get the idea. It was a dream come true to visit Cyndi and her shop again. She is a gracious woman, and a talented quilter.

After the shopping, we went outside to get a selfie together, sans the masks. You may have already seen this on Wendy's blog, but here we are again. A memorable couple of hours, that went by far too quickly!

I was in the presence of greatness with these two women, and loving every minute of it. Thank you, ladies, for the friendship and the laughter--and the fabric!! Don't forget the fabric!

This is what I brought home. Most of it is in 1/2 yard to 1 yard cuts. There are a couple of charm packs and a few bundles of smaller cuts. My focus was toiles, conversation prints, older Judie Rothermel prints, and anything else that caught my eye. And how did I get all of this home? Well, I hadn't brought a carry-on bag, so I stuffed the fabric in this lobster shopping bag I had picked up in Maine, and that was my carry-on for the trip home. In the photo it is resting on my checked bag. It was heavier than it looks, and when I had to lug it through the Chicago airport on our layover, I wished it had wheels!

It was a magical morning with Cyndi and Wendy, and I hated to have it end. 

My  next post, Part 3, will cover my visit to The New England Quilt Museum. It did not disappoint!

Until next time, be kind, especially when you think someone doesn't deserve it.

Janet O.

34 comments:

  1. delicious post....awesome quilts and wonderful people....agree with all your impressions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, such an inspiring post...and I am so glad that you got to visit Cindi and Wendy...what fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a lovely visit. Beautiful quilts too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing!! What a fun quilt show!! If I had to pick a favorite or two or three, I honestly don't think I could. Such great inspiration!! Thank you for another wonderful post!! I am going to try a version of the charm packs on point, it's simple enough for me to try!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janet gracia spor compartir tanta belleza y amistad.
    Buen fin de semana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots of quilty fun in those beauties! Glad your trip has been so fabric and friend heavy :). Love the toile fabrics, yum

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! Thanks for all these photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of these days I'll make it to her shop!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow thanks for the mini quilt show, all beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh what fun in Cyndi's shop. I especially loved the diamond quilt with all those delicious fabrics. I don't know how I would have picked out what I wanted to buy with all those choices. You did an excellent job with your purchases, sorry it was so heavy. Look forward to seeing what you turn all that fabric into.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for sharing these wonderful pictures!! I've been lucky enough to go to Cyndi's shop and probably saw some of those little quilts before, but great to see them again. And the fabric! What a great place to shop! And Cyndi and Wendy are wonderful to spend time with!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your visit to the shop sounds wonderful.... And so many gorgeous quilts..... Can't wait for the next installment.....

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun shop, is it open to the public? I'd love to know her hours, if so. It would be fun to have a destination on our random drives to Maine. Loved all of the little quilts, and your fabric choices are great. I have a red toile that I hope to use in a pillow, not sure how I'd use it in a quilt. Can't wait for the museum post! Jan in MA

    ReplyDelete
  14. It does look like you all had a wonderful time!! I love all the pictures you showed, all the quilts are amazing. Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gosh Janet - so much quilt eye candy in this post!! How wonderful & special to get to visit this amazing shop. And Yes it really does look at if it is tucked away in the woods. I love all the quilts & I love your retail therapy too. It is interesting that you are still wearing masks over there as we are here too ... is it mandatory there now too?

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fantastic place to visit Janet, you certainly were in quilting g heaven, so many beautiful quilts!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for sharing the highlights of your trip... lovely quilt show!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the great little quilt show! You had a fabulous trip, and actually visiting a quilt shop in person would be such a treat these days. Looking forward to your next post and the NEQM.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great trip you had. Loved the quilt show!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great to see your post come to my email tonight. Pretty little Quilts. Can't wait for part 3.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for your kind words! Will treasure the Lovely memories of your visit! And the precious thimbles quilt! An honor to own one of your exquisite little quilts! I had no idea you took so many photos!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a great post! Cyndi's quilts are great and what a cozy looking shop. Looks like you had such a great time with two fun talented quilters and all around great women. Fabric is heavy - I can just imagine how heavy your carry-on was! Looks like a great fabric haul and you were smart to have a focus for what you bought.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for the mini quilt show! I especially have a love for 4-patch quilts as well as 9-patch. Simple shapes but to me they are so loveable! Thank you for taking us along!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for sharing Cyndi’s quilts. She does beautiful work. No wonder you wished to return. I’m looking forward to the next leg of your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  25. At each photo, I said ohhhh... ahhhh ... oh là là....
    Cyndi is a talented quilter and her quilts are beautiful !! Lucky you !
    Thank you for sharing !
    Beautiful fabrics for you too !! :)))

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for the show of small quilts at Cyndi's shop, Janet. SEW many beauties!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. WOW such amazing quilts--I have a Lady of the Lake and Jo Morton Court House Steps perhaps seeing these will motivate me to work on them

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for the wonderful mini quilt show! I think that I would thoroughly enjoy a visit there.

    ReplyDelete
  29. What an inspirational post ... I love small quilts and repro fabrics. Thank you for sharing your time with us. It's the next best thing to being there. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  30. You really must have been in total quilt heaven! All those quilts are just your size and taste. I have never been to her shop. Fingers crossed i will get there next year.
    Thanks for sharing so many wonderful quilts.
    Looking forward to part 3

    ReplyDelete
  31. I am so very glad you got to see Maine in the fall and your Quilty friends, too. You needed the time away after all your sadness. It probably has been years since you could take the time for a trip.

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a wonderful shop! I hope I get to visit it one day!

    ReplyDelete
  33. If only every city had a Busy Thimble quilt shop! It looks inviting, inspiring, just wonderful, really. Thanks so much for sharing photos.

    ReplyDelete

I love to have your comments and feedback.