Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Twenty-two years in the making!


I began stitching the hexagon flowers for this quilt exactly 22 years ago next week! I know that because back then I was a volunteer for "The Festival of the American West" in our valley, and that is where I was taught English Paper Piecing.
This just came back from the quilter and I love what she did with it.  
















I told her I wanted it to look like someone had hand quilted it, and I believe she got the feel I was looking for. In the photo above right you can get a better idea of the quilting, and on the left you can see the fun floral backing I used.
I cut the binding today. I will get it attached and start sewing it down within the next couple of days. So happy to see this finally getting completed.
Fun Fact: Monday I was watching an old movie "The More The Merrier" (starring Jean Arthur and Joel McCrea) while I made more masks. It is an old rom/com about the housing shortage in Washington D.C. during WWII. I happened to be glancing up at the screen just as they were showing an apartment building lobby filled with people on makeshift beds and one of the men had a quilt this same style over his. For just a second I wished the film was in color so I could see what one of these looked like in the 40s.

Yes, I did mention there that I was sewing more masks. Now that more and more stores are requiring them, and we are being told when school resumes in the fall kids will need to wear masks, I figure there is still a need. Have distributed more than 200, have 50 more made and ready to share, and another 50 or so are cut out waiting to be stitched. I don't enjoy changing thread colors, so I select a few masks that could all look good with the same color of top-stitching, and I make those masks assembly line style. When they are made I choose another thread color and sew whatever masks I have cut out that look good with that thread. You can see the super hero masks are at the top of the pile.

My good quilting buddy, Kevin H., sent me a bag a scraps and leftover parts earlier this summer. I started playing with them and making plans for a small quilt almost immediately. I incorporated many of the "parts", like the 4-patches and the HSTs.
The top has been finished and basted for weeks, but I haven't started the quilting yet. Thanks, Kevin, for a fun diversion from my self-imposed focus on UFOs. This may turn out to be my July monthly mini once it is quilted.

I was on my evening walk one night last week when a quilting friend called to me from her yard. She had just finished assembling a top using a bunch of Lori Holt fabrics with a few other fabrics mixed in. There were a lot of bonus triangles leftover and at first she thought she would do something with them, but after beginning to press and trim a few, she decided they were smaller than she wanted to use. Many of them would finish around 2", or a little smaller. She asked if I knew anyone who would want them, and I told her I could probably find someone. So here they are--they pretty well fill a 1 qt. zipper bag. They would make a cute little quilt in happy fabrics. If you want them, say so in your comment.



Speaking of little quilts, another blog friend sent me some copies of that great classic magazine, "Miniature Quilts." I already had 2 or 3 of them, so if you are interested in those, let me know. Thanks for the magazines, Randy!


Finally, one of my favorite border designs to quilt is the rope. I wanted to use it on the sashing for "The Beast," but I didn't have a stencil for it that was big enough, and I didn't want to freehand it on a king size quilt. I get most of my stencils from Quilt Creations International. I already have this stencil in 3 sizes from them, but I checked to see if they had any larger sizes. They had a 2 1/2" listed, which isn't much larger than the 2" I already have, but it was just large enough. I ordered it, but when it arrived it was only 2". Turns out they had mislabeled it on their website and in their catalog and no one else had caught it. They decided that it was a popular enough design that it wouldn't hurt to make it in 2 1/2", which they promptly sent me in just over a week. So now I have an extra 2" size. Anyone interested?

Enough housecleaning. I hope you are all finding things that give you joy in the midst of all this craziness. Whether it is quilting to your heart's content, peace and quiet in a daily devotional, tending to living things in your garden, curling up with a good book and losing yourself in another time or place, sipping a wonderful lemon peach herb tea (it really is yummy) as you enjoy a sunrise or sunset, or baking up a storm--maybe you are lucky enough to have family in your "bubble" and you get to hug grandkids--whatever your source of comfort and normalcy, I hope you are staying safe and not letting it all get you down. We will get through this!

Until next time (when I'd better have a monthly mini ready),
Janet O.




45 comments:

  1. Janet, your grandmother's flower garden is lovely. I've never made many hexies though they are fun to do. I always enjoy your blog which I follow in Old Reader. Thank you for your kind offer of items you don't need--I'd have a good time with the triangle squares (they'll work with a scrap quilt I'm working on) or with the stencil (I only hand quilt). Thanks for thinking of your readers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH I love your grandmother's flower garden! Just so pretty and perfect. That is a lot of masks, Janet, and so many people will be safer because of your sewing! THANK YOU for doing that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an accomplishment! 22 Years in the making and every bit as gorgeous today as the day it was started. Timeless and beautiful. She did do a lovely job as it really does look hand quilted. And, I am so impressed that you are well on your way to a July mini! It has been difficult to stay focused and you seem to be right on target. I cannot believe how many masks you have made. I stopped at 100 but you have just kept rolling along. I dearly hope that this will be over before I have to make any more. Happy quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt is beautiful! You can be so proud of your finish. Most of the fabric/quilting stores in my area carry a good selection of stencils. When I do order online, I go to The Stencil Company, quiltingstencils.com. They have a fantastic selection, they do have them divided into groups like traditional, Amish, Modern and so on.

    I need to make more masks too, school is starting in a few weeks. I'm going to machine embroider the grandson's name on his masks. I pity the poor elementary teachers trying to keep all the masks straight. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful finish!! Hooray for you making all those masks. A very uplifting post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on a long over due finish. Lovely quilting! Kudos to you for getting it done.

    I am interested in the bonus triangles and the miniature magazines,

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your appliqued flower garden turned out so beautiful! Simply elegant I would say in those wonder colors. It's been a long time coming, but it was worth the effort and wait I would say.
    Your mask project is spot on. I don't know how the teachers will keep those kids wearing masks all day. Most stores here do required or at least ask you wear them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Janet, love your flower garden quilt. So many masks. Would love to have the little baggie of triangles. Have a great day. dorthac at aoldot com.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great finish. It's the journey that counts. Sometimes it takes some of us longer to get to our destination, but we have fun getting there. I would be interested in the Mini magazines. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Twenty-two years is a long time to have a project waiting to be finished. Do you enjoy english paper piecing...I am assuming that was your technique? I haave not done enough of it to ever get any speed in the process and do not really enjoy the process. I have seen some beautiful quilts made using the technique.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yea for your GFG finish. Cute triangles. I love Lori Holt fabric!! You have made a lot of Masks! That's what I have done the most while here, plus mending. Not getting much quilting on my P-day as I hoped.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Janet!!! ❤️❤️❤️❤️ I love seeing your grandmothers flower garden quilt all quilted up! I love everything about that story and have been waiting for the finish!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful finish. I have a similar quilt I've been working on for about 20 years. You have so many beautiful projects. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt is beautiful. I have a smaller version that needs quilting in my UFO pile. Never hand quilted before and so it has stalled out for several years. I would be interested in the miniature quilts magazines.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm sure it's a great feeling to have your quilt finally finished--it's beautiful and your quilter did a fine job on it too. How fun to spot one in an old movie too! I've been working on cleaning up my sewing room and realized that I can make do with with what I have and will never run out of things to do in my lifetime--lol!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This was a delightful post. It was interesting and uplifting. The Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt turned out so sweet. it was well worth the all the work and time. You are certainly "SuperWoman" when it comes to mask making. So productive and essential. . . The little mini is cute, who doesn't like pink? I need to make something small so I can have a satisfying finish. The things I have been working on lately just seem to grow and grow. I would love the rope stencil is no one else has spoken up. I have found solace in my quilting and a few visits from kids in the last few isolated months. I've read few books, it takes too much concentration. I keep trying to make it up to Cache Valley, I think that would make me happy and it would be a great break from routine but it just never seems to happens. Thanks for the cheerful post, it definitely made my morning.

    ReplyDelete
  17. If you stuck with a project for twenty-two years, there is hope for me! It is so darn stinking hot, am struggling with quilting. However, when there is a drop in the temps look out quilting projects here I come.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful quilt! Congratulations on getting it finished! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  19. better late than never...and what a beautiful finish it is! nothing feels as good as a done quilt...enjoy its warmth for many years my friend! and nice little giveaways but not for me....

    ReplyDelete
  20. I was really interested to see your long overdue hexagon quilt. I recently finished hand piecing my Grandmother’s Garden top and it’s all layered and basted. I haven’t a clue how I want to quilt it but really enjoyed seeing how you did yours. Congratulations on a beautiful finish!

    I would be interested in the rope stencil.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your quilt is beautiful! I also love that it is not over-quilted. It does look like it could be hand done. I would be interested in one of the magazines. Sadly they stopped printing before I fell in love with miniatures. Thanks for your generous offer.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your post was such delight to read today. Congratulations on finishing your hexagon quilt. The quilting does look like handquilted designs. I hope you enjoy it for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your hexi flower garden, so pretty! Good for you for finishing it up!
    I would like to play with the half square triangles. I have a few other Lori Holt HST's of a similar size.
    I would also be interested in the quilting stencil. Thanks for your generosity in sharing! Mary

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love your hexies. I have one from my great great gma to finish. It was the last one she worked on and there is fabric with the almost finished quilt top.
    Also sweet mini. It reminds me of Neapolitan icecream 🍦😁

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you for such a wonderful post. Your flower garden looks wonderful and classic after all these years. I hope you enjoy every minute of tacking back the binding. You are amazing with the masks. I do something similar with the thread, but limit myself to two colors - off white or dark blue. Hate changing thread! Your last paragraph gives a good feeling of thriving through this, rather than just enduring.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your flower garden quilt is just stunning Janet!! I have enjoyed watching you working on it in recent months from time to time. Yes I love how you have had it quilted - I think it is perfect. That herbal tea sounds delicious! I have never tried that one. You have done so well with the mask production - I have read that they are compulsory over there now. Yes these are such strange times we are all living through I agree. xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a beautiful finish to a quilt began so many years ago! Aren't you didn't abandon it permanently? I hope you will include bit of its history in your label. It is so nice of you and so many others to make so many masks for family, friends, and those working in the hospitals and other care places. I hope you receive a special blessing. ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  28. Dear Janet, I love reading your stories, I find your generosity incredible. I would love to be your neighbor, to be able to share pieces of cloth with you. Your grandmother's garden is very beautiful. I like the simplicity of the quilting, as you say it seems hand-quilted, good work of your quilter. I hope you understand everything, and sorry if there is any error, my English is basic. I´m from Alicante in Spain and I send you a hug

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love, love, love the minature quilt books and have been trying to complete my collection of them, so I would be interested in them. Please and Thank You.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Janet, it's absolutely stunning!! I'm so excited for your to bind it and have it finished. ♥ Thanks to you, I've been happily stitching up your style of masks for all my favorites! I made one for Edith ... they're coming by work today, so I'll fit hers. Because she's such a tiny thing (at 3, she still wears some 18 month-sized clothes), I reduced the child mask template you sent. I also used the gauze fabric to line it. Joc is afraid she won't keep it on if it's too thick. We shall see; I'll keep you posted! Your newest mini is coming along nicely! That's a great border template ... but since I hate borders . . . !! ♥ Great movie -- I love the old B&Ws! :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love what you did with Kevin's scraps! Probably if someone else got them, their top would look different.

    I appreciate your good wishes during this difficult period. I hope you are likewise staying safe and sane!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh I forgot to comment on the beautiful hexes!! WOW!!
    And I'm impressed that you know WHEN you started it.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Such a beautiful finish to your treasure! The quilter really did a lovely job with your request. And thank you for the mask making. I hope it encourages many to wear them!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Your flower garden quilt is gorgeous. It looks so soft and spring-like, and the flowery back foretells the summer bounty to come. I think we're all thinking more masks are going to be needed, but since we still don't have any elastic at our local walmart I think I'll just buy a box of the disposable masks since they're readily available around here, and can be worn more than once if kept clean. Especially since we're fortunate to live in a rural area with very few active cases. Your new mini is well along, looking forward to seeing your finish at the end of the month.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I would be interested if you had any copies of the miniature quilts Magazine left.
    Sheryl

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh how wonderful to have your GFG finished. Is just simply lovely. Such a timeless design and color combination. It will be a joy forever.
    How fun to get goodies from your quilt buddies. I would have a miniature magazine if they aren't all spoken for. I love to make a mini once in a while.
    You are a mask making machine - wow! good for you. what a powerhouse public service you are providing.
    I really appreciated hearing how you are getting through these crazy times.
    take care friend! thanks for such a wonderful post. I was saving it for just the right cup of coffee :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh, my gosh, Janet, your Hexagon Flower Quilt is spectacular!! Wow!! Talk about staying true to the period that this pattern was so popular!! I love it and your quilter did an amazing quilting job!! Your little mini is darling as ever!! I love browns and pinks together!! Thanks for the offer of the little triangles but as you know from my "Bin Project" I have more than enough to last me around 10 life times!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Congratulations on a beautiful finish! I was at that Festival, taking classes from Jeana Kimball! That's where I learned my love of needleturn appliqué. I would love to have the "mini" magazines. Barb Stommel

    ReplyDelete
  39. kweather78@aol.comJuly 24, 2020 at 1:13 PM

    I enjoyed learning that you taught at Festival of the American West show in Logan. It brought back happy memories. My mom and I attended the first two or three when they were held at Utah State University. We stayed on campus (I don't remember if it was dorms or a motel on site. It was the first show we went to and we thoroughly enjoyed the classes we took. My grandmother's flower garden quilt is 38 years old and not finished. Thanks for the memories of the festival. I live in East Tennessee now. Kathie (kweather78@aol.com)

    ReplyDelete
  40. You must be so pleased and satisfied to have finished this quilt, Janet. It looks fabulous! And I love the backing fabric.
    What a sweet brown and pink quilt. It's a great use of leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
  41. The Flower Garden quilt turned out beautifully. What a great joy to see it finally quilted and nearly ready to snuggle under!

    Lucky you with all the extras, I hope they have found good homes.

    I was recently quilting some minis--well I call them minis, compared to yours they are "midis" I suppose:) My quilting was super simple and I was happy to have them off my "to quilt" list. Seems that list never goes down much! I'm still working on UFOs too...

    ReplyDelete
  42. Your story of how long the hexie quilt has been in the works is a classic! One of my stitching buddies just recently finished up her own hexie quilt after 20+ years - yours is so lovely and timeless - a joy to use for generations.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Your hexie quilt turned out beautiful! Twenty-two years and now it's done. What an accomplishment. You are a mask-making machine! I can't believe how many you've made and continue to make. It looks like you have a head start on your July mini and I look forward to seeing it soon. I'm going to check out your source for stencils. I'm looking for one to fill a 7" plain block.

    ReplyDelete
  44. What a wonderful finish..... It looks great....
    Welldone on making so many masks....

    ReplyDelete

I love to have your comments and feedback.