Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Much sewing, minimal quilting

Last August I decided I would make a table runner for my brother's dining room table. He has one old one Mom made decades ago as a "dresser scarf" for her bedroom, but it doesn't match the colors or decor of his dining room, and is quite worn. I heard him talking to my younger sister about wanting to get one that would fit in better. He has a quilt Mom made hanging on the dining room wall and wanted to pick up the colors from it. 
Mom's quilt hanging at my brother's. This is Pioneer Sampler designed by Eleanor Burns.
My sister was talking as though she would do it for him, but she has done very little quilting, and has very little spare time. Later I told her not to worry about it and I would do it. She was relieved. Within a couple of weeks I had pulled fabrics that matched the colors of Mom's quilt and had made a stack of 9-patch blocks, not sure where I would go from there. And then they sat. Last month was his birthday, so I took the blocks to his home and told him what I was trying to do and he gave me some input. I promised him it was my quilting priority. This is the results so far.
Poor lighting in this photo. Since this was taken I have marked it, basted it and completed the ditch-stitching. I tried to start free motion quilting Monday, but Gidget (my HQ Sweet Sixteen) was having tension issues. By the time I straightened it out the good late afternoon light that streams in my sewing room window was gone. I'm hoping to have some time to work on it Wednesday.

I had said I wasn't going to make face masks.The hospitals here won't take them, and there is so much contradictory info as to which pattern is best or whether any of them are effective. It made my head swim. But I wanted to do some sort of "helpful sewing", so I answered Lori's call for "pillowcase dresses" for little girls for her future mission trip.
Check out the link above if you want to join in. I used the first pattern option on the Nancy's Notions link she has listed, and they go together easily. These use the same elastic that are needed for the masks, so if you don't already have some on hand, you may have a hard time finding it. Luckily I already had a large pack.

Then ED shared a pattern for face masks that was requested by a health organization in her area. So I changed my mind, made a baker's dozen and sent them her way.
And now that it is recommended we all wear a mask when shopping, etc., I decided to try a different pattern. Trying to tie a mask behind my head just seemed to invite my hair to get tangle in the ties, and I could see it would be too frustrating. 

So I looked around the web a bit and found I liked this pattern from Lorrie Nunemaker. I decided to try making it with elastic loops instead of ties. I used batiks for the outside of almost all of them and lined them with T-shirt fabric. The pattern includes a pocket for more filter material, if desired. I included it on some of them, but not all. The tightly woven batik and  T-shirt material (which is recommended as one of the best options for filtering capability) combined make a pretty good DIY mask, I believe.
There is an adult-size template and a child-size one. The "Frozen" and "Cat in the Hat" masks were made with my youngest two grandchildren in mind. These were all made for my family and whatever they don't want I will find somewhere to donate. They make up quickly and there are no long ties to sew up (thank goodness). I understand that healthcare workers who have to wear these all day say the elastic can bother their ears after a while. But these are just for quick trips to the store, etc. And they used up the last of that big package of elastic.

One more brief quilty note--hopefully soon this border will be pieced and sewn onto the Flower Garden quilt. The center is all assembled. I get almost giddy when I see this top so near completion after 22 years!! I am so glad I didn't give up on this.

One last thing, it is Springtime in the Rockies again. If you have followed me for a while you may recall that this is when the resident llama on the family farm takes on "babysitting" duty. It sits, and baby lambs climb on. So fun to watch from my sewing room window!





Thanks to all who participated in my National Quilting Day party favor drawing. Names were drawn and notified March 30th. Prizes were sent the next day. I have heard from a few that they have been received and I am guessing that by now all but the two international winners would have theirs. If you are in the states and you have not received the party favor you won, please let me know.

Oh, such a long post. If I would make time to post more often this wouldn't happen. Honestly, just because we can't socialize doesn't seem to have made life less busy. Why is that, I wonder?

Until next time, as our current state campaign reminds us, "Stay safe: Stay home."
Janet O.

 

24 comments:

  1. I am so very happy that you did not give up on your Flower Garden too! It is so beautiful. Those dresses are sweet as can be. I didn't think I would have time this year so I sent Lori a check instead. Now that I have the time, I am focusing on masks too. Thanks for the link to the mask pattern. I have been winging it so it is nice to have the real thing. You really have outdone yourself! Those lambs are over the top adorable! And so is Ms. Llama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are many things that make my head swim LOL. Your Flower Garden quilt is gorgeous and yellow lattice is like sunshine making all those beautiful flowers bloom. The table runner will be a great gift for your brother. It's nice that he appreciates the handwork. Ms Llama looks so calm with all the little lambikins.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one sweet llama! I would love to watch those lambs :-)
    I watched Lorrie's video and made one like she shows. Her instructions and tutorial was one of the best out there. The mask is also very effective though it takes a little time to get use to wearing it. I switched and have been making more using Leah Day's style with a little variation so I can use two different fabrics...front and back. I'm making ties to go with them though like you suggest...they sure mess up my hair ;-)
    Your dresses for Lori are so cute! She will have quite a collection whenever she gets to go deliver them again. Prayers that is sooner than later! We are healthy here and praying you and your family are as well. Hugs! 2 Thes. 2:16,17

    ReplyDelete
  4. I received my party favor - thank you so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how sweet to see those lambs frolicking--too cute! Congrats on hanging in there and getting your flower garden to the finishing stages. I'm sure that feels really good! I wasn't going to be making masking either, but broke down and made enough for our family after it was announced that we should all wear them. I haven't been out of the house except for dog walks, so haven't had the need to use one, but it's a relief to know they are there when needed. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wasn't going to make masks for the same reasons...then I went to grocery store and walgreen's today and witnessed so much carelessness (to the 6ft rule and cover your coughs and sneezes) that I figured SOME protection is better than nothing. I plan on tossing mine in the wash as soon as a I get back from an essential run.... Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The table runner looks great. Your brother is lucky to have you. And look at all those masks. You are a professional mask-maker now. I'm so glad you didn't give up on the flower garden quilt too. It is so lovely. And Llama does rhyme with Mama so it's just seem like a natural thing - ha! Too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your post is not too long Janet - they are always "just right". I love your table runner you made for your brother & think you have picked out the colours just perfectly to match the quilt your Mum made. Thanks for the link re the masks - I was confused here too about the wearing of them (still am!!) so I have been hesitant in making any. But I will use the link you have given & make one & also send the link to a couple of friends. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww, mama-llama is such a sweetheart! You've been very busy with your masks and the little pillowcase dresses. They will be so appreciated. How wonderful it is to finally see our oldest ufo's reach the finished point. Stay safe and hopefully we can all come out again for summer fun very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful birthday gift for your brother, your flower garden quilt is spectacular. Oh that baby sitting llama, at this point, I think the world needs a baby sitting llama for comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the patient llama! I did not jump on the mask band wagon as we live 30 miles from a health care/medical facility that could use them. Now, with the wear one in public directive, I'll make us two or three each. We are only going out for groceries about every three weeks and super early in the morning. And this too shall pass!! Your flower garden quilt looks so old fashioned!! Love it! I'm sure your brother will be happy with the runner as he helped pick the blocks! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the llama mama! I made 14 masks for family and friends. Today to saw a similar mask that only ties at the top, the bottom tie is a halter style. If I make any more, I will try that. Stay safe, stay home is my motto too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You blog was long because you had so many beautiful and fun things to show us! Your flower garden quilt is beautiful, and I'm sure you are glad you finally finished it! I enjoyed seeing the llama and the related fun pictures. Have fun, and stay safe, okay? ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness what an awesome view from your sewing room! Ha ha! Glad your flower garden is on its way to completion. Nice masks! I too made some of each style. I found that they shrink in the wash (even though I'd prewashed the material).

    ReplyDelete
  15. I’m giddy over your Grandmothers flower garden, too! Your brother is lucky to have such a talented sister. I adore the pillowcase dresses and your masks look great. I haven’t sewn any masks, but did watch a video for a no sew one made from a bandana. I’m pretty much staying put, so I haven’t needed a mask so far! 🌼

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love seeing the spring animals! wee - they are so so cute. how nice to see them from your sewing room window.
    I smile everytime I see your GFG and you are so close! what a passion project.
    The table runner for your brother will look terrific with your mom's quilt.
    congratulations to all your winners, lucky them.
    Great mask making!
    stay well friend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You sure have been productive. LOVE the llamas!
    The tablerunner is awesome. I'm sure your brother will love it.
    And all those dresses for Lori's mission are fantastic.
    Not to mention the masks... love the idea of a baker's dozen!
    Hope you're doing well along with your family!!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your GMG quilt is delightful and what a perfect time to get it finished. You have been busy! May your fabric & projects be overflowing enough to keep you home, safe, sane & creative!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That llama is so patient! How adorable!!
    I didn't think I'd be making masks, but have made a few. Love the table runner you made. Sometimes having something very specific to make gets us going. Yay! For the beautiful grandmother's flower garden!! Its gorgeous! Much love

    ReplyDelete
  20. I didn't know about the llama. How cute!

    So many men would not care about having a quilted piece on their dining room table. Or that the one he wanted would have colors that complimented his mother's quilt hanging in the room. So nice of you to make one for him.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow!! You are a Saint!! And you have been very, very busy with your sewing!! I love your brother's table runner!! The dresses and masks are great and your Flower Garden quilt is absolutely fabulous!! Happy, happy Easter to you and yours!! It'll be quiet this year but we can still celebrate our Savior's Resurrection!! Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I made masks for all the Senior couples here. We just got an email suggesting we have them. Glad I made them earlier. The llams is at home in that field, huh? I love the Grandmother's Flower garden.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful quilt for your brother, and exciting news about your 22 year old nearly finished quilt :) I have continued to make masks with ties, as that is what the hospital requested. I'll probably rip out hair when I tie mine on too, but haven't yet been anywhere to really try it out. My husband has been going to the store, but told me it is my turn next time :) Hope your Mom is doing well.

    Cute pillowcase dresses, I would also add pockets to any I make!

    ReplyDelete
  24. That's a great table runner. I like that you chose a 9-patch and varied the colors to with the quilt on the wall. I'm sure your brother will be pleased.

    Your dresses and masks both look fun. Those little girls will love the dresses and I like the ties on your masks. It's a fun photograph of them laying on the table. The second mask pattern you used is called an Olson mask. It's the one I used to make just 6 masks. My niece's husband is a doctor and asked if anyone could make some for his older patients who come to appointments without them. I have to get them in the mail soon. The hospital where my daughter is a nurse will not let the nurses (and others) wear the home-made cotton masks )or at least they won't in the ICU with the Covid-19 patients).

    Your Flower Garden looks so good. I'm glad you didn't give up on it, either.

    And that llama with those lambs -- they are so adorable. My daughter (who is not a nurse) also has lambs, but no llama. She said one of the moms had triplets and one of the triplets keeps losing its mom (or the mom loses it). Too bad they don't have a llama! What breed of lambs and do they get sheared for the wool?

    ReplyDelete

I love to have your comments and feedback.