Saturday, September 21, 2019

Insanity in the sewing room

I don't know what else to call it. I already have all of my rows made for my Circa 1880 quilt, so why is it that I have spent what little time I can get in the sewing room lately making these? These are all 2 1/2" unfinished blocks, with those centers finishing at 1".


When I started making the "rogue blocks" to put in my quilt a few months ago, there were a couple that were just an uneven 9-patch with a tiny block in the center.
This past week I've been dreaming up more center blocks that can be scaled down to a 1" finish.

Those 16-patch centers are strip pieced. There is no other way I could have made those squares finish at 1/4". Having a ruler with good marking, and using fine thread helps increase the accuracy in stitching 1/4" finished rows (and a good dose of insanity really helps).


And the pineapple and log cabin center blocks are foundation pieced, of course. Each 1" finished--more insanity!

Kat Keefes Quilting shared her "signature block" idea with our Facebook group. She used the selvedge with Pam Buda's name printed on it--so clever!
I played around with the idea and came up with one of my own, and included some sentiments from one of Pam's fabric designs, as well.

The only other sewing that has taken place has been on the August small quilt pattern for the Circa 1880 club. I tweaked the value placement on the fabric--inspired by a Kim Diehl churn dash quilt I love that has 9-patches in the center.

The center blocks and sashing are assembled, but I had still been auditioning borders until I recently settled on this lovely blue paisley from the Mrs. Miller's Apprentice line of fabrics. Notice that I tucked a churn dash block into the center block. This is larger than the other small quilts in the club so far, but I really love it.

I shared with you in my last post what I had received in my swap with Julie (my threadbare life blog). Now that she has received my package, I can share with you what I sent.
I had to swipe this photo from her blog, because I forgot to take a photo of this before I sent it (she did the same from my blog with what she sent to me).

I sent her an uneven 9-patch pincushion, a notepad,  my handmade herbal soap, a favorite treat, and a mini quilt I made from scraps found on top of the "trash" bin at retreat last January. Julie is the queen of rescuing unwanted items and up-cycling them into treasures. I wanted to send her something that I had rescued and this was all that fit that description. It was such a lovely exchange. Thanks so much for participating, Julie! This is my second swap with a New Zealand blog friend. Oh how I hope to see their homeland someday--and maybe even get to see them! :)

This is my first post in September--pretty pathetic. It had better not be my last. I need to have a monthly mini ready to share  in a little over a week. Yikes! I am nowhere near ready!! I'd better quit playing with the Circa 1880 blocks I don't need.

Until next time,
Janet O.




45 comments:

  1. Your insanity is beautiful and totally beyond what I could even hope to sew. There's small and then your teeny tiny creative art. You have a real talent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in complete awe. Amazing blocks! I love that you rescued scraps from the bin at retreat for Julie's gorgeous quilt xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I nearly gasped when read about the 1 inch centers Oh amazing are those!! they are adorable. I love all the variations. wowzer.
    the blue paisley looks wonderful with your 1880 blocks. What a nice quilt.
    Julie must have loved everything you sent. I'll have to pop over and see what she sent you. I can't remember if you posted it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of this is amazing—thanks for posting. Love the 1” centers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Divine madness indeed. Change not, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Insanity, lol, I thought that is what you get from your kids. Good use of the selvages. Can't you count the churn daah quilt as your September Mini? NZ, not on my Bucket List.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There must be a very fine line between insanity and intensely amazing! I struggle with a 6 '' block and here you have a wall full of beautiful 1'' centers in 2 1/2'' blocks! Your signature style is wonderful to view and all those creations are great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic fabric frugality! Your teeny tiny work is always amazing, did you get your love of quilting tiny from making dollhouse quilts for your daughters? Someday you'll have to post a photo of your tiniest quilt next to the largest.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Omigosh, Janet. Your eyes must be MUCH better than mine! I love your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am in awe of your talent. Your blocks are fantastic. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  11. What delightful little blocks. I was thinking yesterday that it had been a while since you posted. I'm glad you've had time to go play in the sewing room. I love the little uneven 9-patch blocks with all the different centers. AND, the mini is so so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, you are a little insane--lol--(I mean that in the nicest way)! Those tiny blocks are so adorable--I can't even begin to imagine making blocks so small but yours are perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love those tiny 16 patches in the 9 patches!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those blocks are amazing!! I hope you keep making them and showing them to us!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The only insanity I see is that you're insanely creative and talented, and your workmanship its insanely precise! Those 1" pieced centers? Good grief! Your little blocks are insanely adorable! I look forward to seeing what you do with all these wonderful "parts" !

    ReplyDelete
  16. I heard someone say that "Insanity is repeating the same thing, over and over, and getting the same results." It almost seems that's what you are doing. Indeed you do that, and the result is always perfectly beautiful! Your eyes and hands are much better than mine! I always enjoy seeing your beautiful quilts, of all sizes. ---"Love

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh wow, Janet, those tiny blocks so precisely stitched! Amazing work you do! What a great post of inspiration. Happy Stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Pass some of that insanity to me--your quilts are beautiful! That was such a neat idea to include the name in the signature block--I may try that myself. We are starting our third week of temps in the 90's with no rain--I need some cooler weather to get motivated to quilt

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful mini blocks, such a wonderful variety and fun with the little quotes. Totally inspiring me to get back to my reproduction sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gosh Janet I am just about cross eyed staring so closely at those gorgeous teeny blocks of yours. I love the idea of using the wording in the middle of them = it looks fantastic! I am still in awe of our swap & just loving all my treasures, thank you so much! I have had lots of friends visit & swoon over my goodies - some even try to sneak them home!! My house still smells delicious from your soaps. xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love everything you have done here and I especially love your signature blocks!! You confirm with every post that you are bit nuts!! :-) Love ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Holy snapping ducks my friend! TINY!!!! better you than me I'm already insane! Don't get me wrong they are BEAUTIFUL!
    Funny you and Julie both had to swipe a photo from each other! I hope you get to our beautiful New Zealand too....Julie and I will be lining up to see you and greet you with hugs xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, how I love your miniature blocks!!! Be still my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  24. These precious miniatures are what is helping to keeping you grounded - you had me with that pineapple block...now that is just plain nuts - and beautifully so!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a wildly wonderful quilt! From all of that tiny paper piecing in the centers to adding selvages to the signature blocks...a masterpiece in creation! Love it!!!
    Great swap from Julie as well! :-)
    A post well worth waiting for! Keep busy and stay happy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Janet O!!! Those teeny tiny one inch center blocks are amazing! I had spotted the tiny pineapple one right away. The churn dash is beautiful; love the colors. Your swap partner must have been so happy with her swap from you. It would be an honor to own one of your tiny quilts. And your soap is beautiful. Happy Fall! I hope you keep your fingers busy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lovely, all of your pieces are wonderful. Thank you for sharing. You are an inspiration.

    Your tiny pieces so accurate!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is truly amazing, even for you, the miniature queen! However, it seems that it doesn't create insanity, but rather keeps it at bay! I cannot wait to see what you do with all these little gems. What a treat. Not much sewing in my world this summer and I am looking forward to getting back on track with my C1880. Thanks for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Looks like you have enough of those random odd blocks for your C1880's quilt to make at least one or three little ones for this months reveal. I'm sure you have more than you need for that big quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right--there are more here than I will use in my Circa 1880 quilt. I gave some away at our Club meeting and I have sent some to a few friends who are making the quilt. And I just might be planning a small quilt to use more. :)

      Delete
  30. All those wonderful, tiny, beautiful blocks: Wow! Just WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I don't know if my comment made it or not - computer glitch but ..... Why do we put ourselves thru such torture? LOLOL However, I AM slobbering over the teensy Pineapple!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Lots of fun insanity in this post!!! Love those tiny log cabin centers!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow wow wow these are beautiful. It is mind blowing to me - one inch centers with all those seams. Do you use 1/8" seams, or what?!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Insanity indeed! You are Nuts - Totally Nuts, in the best possible way that is. With so many seams, seam allowances, and intersections in that tiny space, HOW are you keeping these adorable blocks from turning into a lumpy mess?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to plan the pressing as you go. I think 1/8" seams complicate the process, so I just press carefully as I go in whatever way works best--sometimes to one side or the other, and sometimes open. IF I trim seams, I don't trim down to a 1/8" (unless I am foundation piecing), because 1/8" seams are less cooperative than 1/4" seams.

      Delete
  35. Insanity, yes, that must be the condition, but it produces such perfect cute little blocks. Love all your print and color combinations.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Janet, I had to put on my glasses to see that pineapple block!! You are just amazing!!
    LOVE your little tops!!
    Very impressive!!
    You sent your friend some very nice things!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Insanity?? I only see magic!! You are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Of course, I love all of these projects! So stinking cute! Don't you love the Quilter's Select rulers? I like the simplicity of the markings.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Certainly don't stop on the Circa 1880 quilt. It looks great. Yes, sometimes we get a little insane with our projects. The churn dash block is one of my favorites. Love how you mastered the tiny center. Your gifts are wonderful, so thoughtful.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I *love* the little blocks with the sweet sayings in them!! They're just precious! I don't think I had but two posts this month. It's too hard! LOL! Your 16-patch centers are amazing!!!! You're one fantastic gifter! :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. Love those tiny centers! But what really caught my eye is your honeycomb/bee soap! My hubby raises bees so anything "bee related" always gets my attention. So cute!

    ReplyDelete

I love to have your comments and feedback.