Saturday, November 17, 2018

Pam's Heirloom quilt

If you are a follower of Pam Buda's blog (heartspunquilts.blogspot.com) you have already seen this outstanding heirloom she has created. This photo is from its unveiling in her booth at Quilt Market in Houston. Isn't it amazing?
This will be available to make in 2019 at quilt shops who sponsor the Circa 1880 club. In her post about this quilt here, she explained how she swapped blocks with friends to keep this scrappy and get it made by the deadline of Market. I was fortunate to be one of those who swapped blocks with those participating.

In this photo you can see the piles of 10 blocks on the design board to the left (300 blocks on that design board). In the middle are the baggies of blocks I received from others. And on the design boards piled to the right are pieces waiting to be sewn together to make another 120 blocks.
This is the kind of quilt I have always wanted to make, and this opportunity gave me the motivation I needed to keep making enough of those little blocks for a large quilt--hundreds and hundreds of those little blocks! There is a reason why I make mini quilts. I have a hard time staying focused on making the same little block over and over, but I proved to myself that I CAN do it! :)

My trusty featherweight has been the machine of choice for this project. Most of the blocks are made (there are about 75 left to stitch together), and now I am starting to assemble rows.
Here I am auditioning blocks to get a good balance of colors in a row.

I have 5 rows assembled and pinned to the edge of my design wall, where my half log cabin blocks are still residing. I hope to make more progress on this project when I go to my annual retreat in January. I actually made my first blocks for this quilt at retreat last January. This secret sewing has consumed much of my limited sewing time this year, and it is really fun to finally be able to share it with you!
If this quilt draws you in as much as it does me, check with your local quilt shop to see if they will be hosting the club.

Aside from that, since my last post I have been trying to get a few little quilt tops marked and basted.
They are starting to pile up again, and I do not want a repeat of 2016, where I had 30 little tops to quilt, and I added half again that many as the year wore on.
One of these will hopefully get quilted before the month is over to fill in as my Mini of the Month.  



We took a quick trip to Southern Utah last week to visit some friends, and attend a concert by The Piano Guys. On the way home I used my birthday month coupon at the little shop over the mountain (Village Dry Goods) to get 25% off of this lovely selection. 
Jo Morton's new Spice it Up line embodies the colors of Fall, to me. And I picked up a few of the new Primitive Gatherings Flower Garden line.
And look at this--one of the employees at the shop has made up Jen Kingwell's Long Time Gone quilt in Civil War repros. 
I have the pattern and when I finally get around to making it, I want to do something along these lines.
Until next time, 
Janet O.

 





26 comments:

  1. Gosh that first quilt sure IS stunning Janet ... how amazing that it was unveiled in her booth in Houston. I love the Civil War repro fabric quilt you have shown too ... I can just see why you would be tempted to make that one up. Happy creative week to you Janet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you are making that quilt! I have been admiring it. All your baby wee tiny quilts are so much fun, but the heart and home one is SUPER fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilt projects are always so amazing! Pam’s quilt is a stunner and what a treat for you to be involved. Great inspiration here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many beautiful projects. I am in awe of your talent. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. That quilt is a striking masterpiece! It is the variety that makes it so special I think. A living history of fabrics:) So you seem to have your year long plans in place...that is once those minis are done up. Love the fabric birthday surprise. So before the month is out....happy birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a gorgeous quilt. I too tend to make minis because I tend to get bored with big quilts with the same block, but I really love the look and maybe as a long term project in between others, I will be able to make another one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's crazy how those little projects start to pile up and need finishing--they are all pretty cute though! I love your secret sewing project and admire your persistence in getting it so close to completion. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your featherwieght has been super busy making all those tiny blocks. It's going to be lovely with all those colors and patterns. You've stuck to it and now you're at the fun part of putting it together. I love the Piano Guys. How special to hear them in concert. Have fun getting some quilting done. You do such beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That quilt was a real beauty!! And Yes, I'd say right up your alley as far as teeny block size!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Pam’s quilt! And all your little minis are fabulous as usual!

    Blessings and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So much to enjoy about your post! The Piano Guys?? Lucky duck you are...don’t you just love how they interpret music and make it their own!! And that Pam Buda quilt...I keep staring at it and have visited her website thinking....2019??? It is so fabulous. Your blocks will be a show stopper in your own quilt. And that wonderful array of Jo Morton’s fabrics...it just does not get any better...I need a bib, am drooling so much. Have to go check out if any Wisconsin quilt shops are offering that Circa 1880’s program....

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a good secret keeper you are!! This is a fantastic quilt and you're well on your way, aren't you?! Sounds like your weekend was a fun one! Nice birthday fabrics!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. wonderful quilt....and the minis too are soo beautiful! aren't the piano guys awesome??? and i'm a jen kingwell fan as well...working on "midnight at the oasis"....

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Heirloom quilt is incredible. You are well on your way to having your own completed. Just gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Stunning quilt...........you sure can make one, just keep plodding away. I am making 9 patch blocks using 1.5" squares, I need 210 nine patches.....I think I'm up to 190, so nearly there! I sew them as leaders & enders (Bonnie what would we do without your cool ideas!) Happy quilting my far away pal........xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW!! All those teenie tiny blocks and lots and lots of them!! Good job - I'd just say you are making lots of little mini quilts!! Hope you are doing well and that your mom is still doing good!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your quilt is going to be a treasure!! Wishing you and your family a blessed Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my! I just love that Circa 1880 quilt! Looks like you've got a good start on yours too! Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow I LOVE those tiny puss in the corner block. I also love to trade and swap blocks. What an amazing scrappy quilt.
    Wonderful group of little quilts to finish. That little dresden plate is just sweet!
    I wish you and your family a blessed Thanksgiving. I think you usually cook at your place? If so enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am so impressed with your progress! I haven't even started or even posted about it. I'm so proud of you!! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am so happy you are making this quilt, so many little blocks, but it is so You! Any one of those minis will make a perfect November finish! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That was a good swap to participate in. It gave you the variety of prints needed without having to cut hundreds of different fabrics. I had seen her market quilt picture and much admired the finished result.
    I just recently purchased a fat quarter bundle of Spice It Up. I have no immediate plans for it. I haven't put it away yet but it is washed and folded.

    ReplyDelete
  23. WOW! That is one big beautiful quilt--I don't have that much disciple! Love the new Jo Morton line

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a great project you join in on! I love the pattern and the quilt!!
    And of course your fabric purchases are amazing!! Love your taste...
    Love the Jen Kingwell quilt in civil war repros...
    GREAT idea...
    do I see a swap in the future? or a challenge??

    ReplyDelete
  25. Pam's quilt caught my attention when I first saw it, too. Gorgeous! How fun that you were one of the participants to make and exchange blocks. It will be a stunning finish. So how does the Circa 1880 Club work? I doubt either of my local-ish shops will participate.
    Your fabric choices from Village Dry Goods are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  26. How exciting!!!! I fell in love with that quilt when I first saw it. It is on my list to make...someday. LOL!
    Blessings...
    Kristie

    ReplyDelete

I love to have your comments and feedback.