Saturday, October 6, 2018

Sajou, and a new pinkeep

I don't do many SALs anymore, but when Lori (humblequilts blog) starts one of her little doll quilt SALs, I have a hard time resisting. Well, actually, I don't even try to resist. But my downfall with SALs is that if I fall behind I tend to drop out. So when I learned that Lori was starting her SAL just before we cross the country for Massachusetts, I knew I had to scramble to get this stage completed before we left.
So here you have my version of step one of Sanjou.
I didn't set out to make a patriotic quilt, but the French General print I envisioned for the center had too large a design. As I kept digging through the stash to find something else, this print (which I think I got from Barb) was the first design that worked, so I ran with it. I kind of went overboard on the fussy-cutting.
In fact, Lori said we should find something like a striped print for a future step, but I think I may have already over-striped mine. We'll see what happens when that part comes.

This is the only other sewing since my last post.
This pinkeep kit was the little surprise that came when you preordered Pam Buda's new book. I just tweaked it a little.

You can see the pattern in the photo below. I fussy-cut some stars from a Barbara Brackman fabric that was in the pile of patriotic fabrics I was sorting through to make Sanjou.

At first I was just going to put one in the center, but then the corners starting begging for one, and I couldn't resist.
Love this new book. I am pretty strict with myself about purchasing new books, but I couldn't resist this one. It has a dozen sweet little projects, and each one is named for a classic work of literature.
I will be absent for a while, but will check back in when we return to our little mountain valley.
Until next time, 
Janet O.

I'll leave you with some shots from around the farm. You can click to enlarge.
  

I've had fun observing these three Sandhill Sandhill Cranes that have been hanging around. 



28 comments:

  1. glad you joined in...and spectacular first block...aren't they all??? have a wonderful trip....should be beautiful in western MA now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a great look going with your version of Sajou, and it will fit in perfectly with your patriotic theme for your summertime display. And you'll have a project to look forward to when you return home. The year Lori did Country Roads QAL we were traveling across country, and it was fun to pick up some fat quarters and develop a plan for it as we traveled. Happy travels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this first step is beautiful Janet ! I love a lot this fabric ! I have bought a large piece of it in Paducah a few years ago and realized my own quilt with it !!
    The pinkeep is adorable... have a wonderful trip !

    ReplyDelete
  4. This block and pin keep are so you...with all those fussy cuts! Fun to step out and make a statement. Have a safe trip and hope all rolls along smoothly:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you joined in on the SAL. Abe is perfect for the Center. Enjoy your trip, that's a long drive. I will miss seeing your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great start to the SAL. It will be fun to see this come together. Have a lovely trip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your patriotic Sajou! The French flag of course has the same colors as ours :). I pulled some fabrics and intend to get cutting and sewing today so I don’t fall behind. Your pinkeep is cute! I think I have a treasured piece of the dark red print in your corners.
    I saw a white egret flying over a farmer’s field yesterday, they are so pretty and elegant.
    Have a good trip east.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love all the fussy cutting you did on this quilt. It is so beautiful! Enjoy your travels!

    ReplyDelete
  9. EEEk! I am feeling a need to start another one using one of my patriots!! I love it!
    Enjoy your trip!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have a great trip---love all your fussy cuts! I think your patriotic version is going to be great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Perfect choice for your center! And your fussy cutting is top notch...safe journey for you. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your fussy cuts make the first block very special; a perfect framing for the center! Your little pinkeep is adorable; almost too cute to stick pins in. Have fun, but know you will be missed. ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love, love, love your version of Sajou! Stunning fussy cuts will make it a perfect focal point! And the pinkerp is darling!

    Have fun in MA!

    Blessings and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Janet, that is some block you have made for the SAL. The fussy cuts are wonderful. I will be looking forward to seeing more. Have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  15. First, have a wonderful trip. I really like your patriotic version of Lori's SAL especially with all the fussy cutting. There's no use trying to resist. I started piecing my version this weekend. Your new book looks like it will be a good.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That little fussy cut pinkeep is gorgeous Janet! So, so sweet! Have a wonderful trip across country ... safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really like what you added to the pinkeep...it certainly gives it a lot more character!
    Fun SAL...you really did put some time into all that fussy cutting :)...what does Sajou mean?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love it! I am following along too but forgot to take a photo this morning. Will have to post it tonight. I can't believe you made your pinkeep already! I adore the book and am going to challenge myself (and anyone who wants to join in) to make one project each month. Since there are 12 in the book it is perfect for a challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just what I need, Wendy... another challenge!! And if both of you love the book, I definitely think I"ll love it as well.
    LOVE your non-French General block Janet. Really cute.
    Why are you going to Massachusetts? I thought you couldn't sit in the car too long?? Good luck with that.
    Have a safe trip!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your SAL is so fun and your pinked is darling!! Have a safe trip to Massachusetts!! What's back there?

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are the second person I have seen use a picture of Lincoln for the center though not the same picture. How interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I saw Lori's latest SAL too but am tring so hard to keep sitting on my hands - you've made a good start and good luck with keeping up! Cute pinkeep too. Have a great time away.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh that patriotic quilt--the fussy cut fabric makes it so special

    ReplyDelete
  24. woo hoo! you know I loved seeing Lincoln in the center of your piece. He looks great as ever.
    Have a wonderful trip. do you drive? fly? I know you'll enjoy being in New England this time of year.
    the pinkeep is lovely. You are so good as small intricate sewing.
    loved the photos on the farm and another amazing sky photo.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh, how fun with all those fussy-cut little squares. Really just fabulous! I hope you have a great trip.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You are a patient fussy cutter, with amazing results! So now I'm convinced I must purchase Pam's book... thank you! Enjoy your east coast trip... come home refreshed and filled with lots of sewing ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have some of that Union fabric too! Your version looks great and you did a great job with the fussy cutting. I have set aside some fabrics to make the Sajou, but haven't done any sewing yet. I hope I can squeeze it in. Love the pin keep too!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love your Sajou. I waited too late to get the fabric with Lincoln and other Presidents (years ago). I also have some scraps of that Union fabric, as well as the one with the small flags.

    ReplyDelete

I love to have your comments and feedback.