Valentine's Day is past, but I just got my two Valentine colored minis to flimsy stage, so I thought I would share them anyway. This first one is for the Simply Charming Every Other Month Mini SAL. How's that for a mouthful? : )
I decided to start with the first one in the book and do it in Valentine colors. At least I had the top finished within the designated month, but it isn't quilted and wasn't ready for the holiday. Oh, well.
I used it on my dining table on the big day anyway.
When I made this, I had cut plenty of little squares from my red/pink/cream fabrics. I was playing with a way to use up the leftovers when I came across something on Kathleen Tracy's blog that gave me an idea. She'd made a little runner using Valentine colored 9-patches on point. I didn't want a runner, but I took the 9-patch idea and ran with it. I found this great French General red print for the setting triangles and border
I'd like to get these two little pieces quilted up before I put them away for another year. So I spent a few minutes trying ideas on Gidget. On the top is the pattern I think I will put on the "Charming" quilt.
Next up for "lagging behind" projects is the Temecula Judie Rothermel 25th Anniversary SAL. Friday they posted row 4 of 5. Saturday I stitched up row 2 and cut out row 3 (yet to be sewn stars). They are supposed to be sewn together into rows with sashing, but I can't decide on a sashing fabric. I'm not buying anything for this and I can't find one that clicks for me in my stash--but I haven't finished combing through it. I'm sure something will come up. It has been fun to use a couple of charm packs of some favorite lines and also to dig into my Homestead Hearth scrap bag to make these blocks. I'm hoping to get rows 3 & 4 finished before 5 is posted this Friday.
You may recall that as I did my Barrister's SAL blocks in thrift store shirt fabrics last year, I was also making a set in Christmas fabrics, to which a couple of blog friends donated their Christmas scraps. I was about 1/3 of the way through the blocks when I decided I just couldn't keep up with both sets. The Christmas blocks got set aside.
This year I have decided to join John'aLee in her Rancher's Daughter SAL. She is posting 1 block a week, along with stories about growing up as a rancher's daughter. I already have 24 blocks made from last year's SAL, and I will need 49 blocks to make the throw size quilt I have planned. So my plan is to choose two of the blocks each month to make up and add to my pile.
These are the first two blocks for January. I realize I may get some duplicate blocks, but I don't think it will matter--especially if I switch up the fabric value placement. I have yet to begin on February's blocks.
Finally, we come to my BOM for the year. I haven't made a single block! I am going to use the Scrap Basket Blocks patterns that Lisa Bongean posts randomly on her blog. There are currently 12 of them, but she says there are more to come. I am making them out of the repurposed shirts you see below. I am anxious to get started on this project, but I really need to make some serious headway on Easy Street before starting another big project.
That is all for now. I am going to start typing gibberish if I don't get to bed right away.