Saturday, April 16, 2016

Small Quilts All Over The House! (Serious photo overload!)



Okay, Sarah, you asked for it! 
DISCLAIMER: I am not a decorator, but I will show you the way I display my little quilts. The Easter decor is still up, so this will seem very seasonal. You have seen some of these photos rather recently--my apologies. This is only the little quilts. I did not make them all--some are from friends. This is how they are arranged today. They are known to move around during the night.
You will see some oddly sloped walls--I live in a dome.

Living Room

























Dining Room


Kitchen



Sometimes this little Shaker peg rack hosts little quilts, but right now it houses 2 1/2" quilted ornaments.


Bathrooms   




Not much wall space in these rooms. : )

Master Bedroom





I need to put more in this room. In spite of the dramatic slope of the outer wall, I do have a flat wall with a little bit of room. This may be the next place of focus for hanging little quilts. Wonder if DH will notice?


















Hallway
This is where it all started, in a very short hallway between my kitchen and sewing room. After seeing Anne Hermes (notesfromthequiltlab blog) gallery of little quilts using old yardsticks, I was hooked. It began with one yardstick in the hall, then two, then three. Now there are 4 yardsticks and three rulers. (My gallery instructions.) I have contemplated hanging some tiny quilts over the doorway, too, but maybe that is overkill.














This is the main gallery, shown to the left in the photo above. It is how you see it when you exit the bathroom (TMI?).

Sewing Room
Here is where things get congested. Maybe this room should have been a post all by itself.
This wall is quilts made by others (except for the one under the clock). Five of them were AAQI quilts made by blogger friends that I purchased. 

The little quilt shown on the dresser top in the photo above was one of the very first actual quilts that I attempted to free motion quilt. It was a hostess gift for my sister at Thanksgiving that year, but I was so embarrassed by the quilting that I remade the exact quilt, did a better job on the quilting, and pulled a switch on her.











 

Above, on the right is a new little finish from the last batch of basted quilts. Tiny (3/4") leftover 9-patches (many of them quite wonky) from the quilt below the clock in a previous photo.

I'll pause in the tour here to give you a close-up of the finish. Just ditch-stitching, cross-hatching and a feathered border.


 Okay, back to the sewing room.



You can barely see the little rail fence quilt made from shirt parts beneath the tree and bowl. A little twister quilt sits beneath the print of "Hands of Time", by Liz Lemon Swindle.



These three quilts hang above the sewing room closet doors.
 




This is beside the sewing room door as you leave the room.

 That's it! Tour over. Whew!




If you love little quilts like I do, you might be interested in picking up a copy of this current magazine. There are scads of patterns for little quilts from designers you know and love--Jo Morton, Lisa Bongean, Pam Buda, Anne Hermes, Julie Hendricksen, Jill Reid, Betsy Chutchian, Sharon Tucker, Diane Hansen, and more!

Here are a couple of teasers.

This is the pattern from Pam Buda, which was a SAL on her blog a while ago. It is a tiny runner, which I put into a square quilt instead.


If you recall the two little quilts I made last year from the "It's a Small Honor" pattern, you will see the similarities here. From the same designer (Diane Hansen) we have another very small foundation pieced patriotic quilt. Can't wait to make it!


I'd love to see your little quilt decorating ideas. I know many of you do a much better job of it than I do!

This must be a record for my longest post ever. Blame Sarah! *LOL*
If you stayed with me this far, I'll try to make it up to you soon with a great giveaway to celebrate the 5th anniversary of my blog in less than a month.
Until next time (which I promise will be shorter!),
Janet O


48 comments:

  1. Hey, I asked for more pictures too. I loved the Tour! You have done a great job decorating with your minis! I found that Magazine at JoAnn's today. It wasn't cheap!
    Congrats on 5 years. It sure seems longer than that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was FUN! :-) Thank you for taking the time to share! I knew you made many mini's... but this let's us see exactly how busy and creative you are! Thank you also for the reminder of those yard stick hangers... I completely forgot about those and could use at least one...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just awesome! Love, love, love all your work and displays. Job well done!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tour, I love seeing all of them! They seem to be addictive, guess it is good they are small. Soon you will have to start rotating them by season maybe...or not

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was fun! I love the idea of having quilts from yardsticks and RULERS! I have a basket full of small Prairie Women Sewing Circle projects next to a ladder full of the larger ones in my kitchen. Great ideas!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is no such thing as to many quilts! They are all beautiful. Am going to Paducah next Friday will love for the magazine Make it Mini

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much to Sarah for giving you a boost to share your lovely quilty displays! I love them all. So nice seeing others homes. BTW the new header is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the mini quilt tour. Your little quilts are wonderfully displayed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Janet ! I am a french quilter and I think I am falling in love with your home... quilts everywhere... a dream for me. I have sewn some minis but not a lot. I like your yardstick idea, it matches very well with your quilts.Your blog is now in my bloglovin, so I will follow you now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Totally awesome post from the little quilts (which goes without saying), to the length, to the photos and most importantly, to the hanging them with yardsticks idea. I'll be on a mission now, Janet. Yardsticks, I need me some yardsticks and hooks, of course.

    Thanks so much for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Never too many quilt pictures! I love this post, seeing all your beautiful minis and how you display them. I don't have a lot of wall space, but I'm going to try to find a place for the yardstick idea. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow..... that's THE doll quilts'house ! No doubt about that !!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fun, fun fun to see them all in their home! Great post....so glad you got pushed to share.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh wow! what a wonderful post!!! I loved the story about switching your sister's quilt after you remade it. Love all your little's.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loved the mini quilt show. Your work and your home are beautiful! I do have to ask where you found the hooks you use on the rulers. I have a collection of rulers and the Command strips for hanging, but can't figure out what hooks to use.

    Thank you again for the quilt show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have replied personally, but for others who would like the info, go to the tabs under my header photo and click on Yardstick Gallery "How-To". It will give you all of the info on hooks and clips.

      Delete
  16. Wow! So many mini's. And well displayed despite your unusual shaped home. Do you remember when you made your first mini?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oct 2011--I wouldn't even consider it a mini now, just a small quilt. And it only got quilted during this year's finishing frenzy!

      Delete
  17. Wee! what an over the top fabulous post and tour of your quilts and displays.
    I even spied my little quilt.
    What a great knack you have at display!!! thanks Janet

    ReplyDelete
  18. What fun that was to see all your little beauties on display. I considered the magazine but didnt get it. I may need to look again.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a wonderful tour. Your collection is displayed so beautifully throughout your home. I think the mini magazine should do an article just about you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! I love this post! How delightful to be surrounded by all those lovely little quilts - surely makes for a happy home. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wowza!!! Fantastic!! I love, love, love the border in the little nine patch on point! I'll have to try it on one soon! I haven't been in the sewing room much lately, so no new finishes! Way behind on house work and garden work, too! But done kidding out and just have a few ewes to lamb out! Been busy with the ranch!

    Love and blessings to all your family!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wowzer! Okay, now you need to count how many little quilts you have--lol! When you first showed how you hang the little quilts on the yard sticks, I immediately started searching out the clips and then never followed through. I'm re-inspired and will have to figure out where I put those clips--it's a mystery! My favorite is the patriotic quilt by Diane Hanson--adorable! Of course I had to run out and buy Make It Mini when Temecula Quilt Co. announced a Sew Along coming soon--you know I have no will power! Thanks for the peek at your quilty decorating--so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks to Sarah and you for all the Little Quilts Love!! Thanks for sharing the links to Anne and your Tab on using the yardsticks, definitely want to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Best quilt show ever! I thoroughly drooled...I mean, enjoyed! I see quilters talking about picking up that magazine and I just haven't gotten out enough to find it (or make a point to go get it!). Wouldn't it be great if they would just come back out with a regular subscription for mini quilts? Ha! I'm dreaming! Anyway....I stopped in and so glad I didn't miss this post! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I LOVE all the little quilts. And the quilt show is fabulous.
    But what I want to know is WHY there are clocks in the bathrooms??????
    vbg
    Can't wait to try to pick up that magazine!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Actually I just hang my quilts on the wall and there are a few table runners but that's all! So I love seeing your rolled up in baskets etc. I have one wall of mini quilts and another nearly full - but they are bigger...anything bigger then A4 paper is big in my book - not that I attempt super small either! Thanks for sharing I really enjoyed seeing your space.

    ReplyDelete
  27. The Grand Tour takes on new meaning with this post. It was a delightful presentation of eye candy. Thanks so much for sharing. And, as usual, your little quilts are phenomenal.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Long and photo-heavy posts are always delightful for reading and re-reading days later. These little quilts of yours are so precious! The collection is impressive. Your DH must be so jaded by now, LOL! He's used to your passion for excellence.

    ReplyDelete
  29. There is absolutely nothing wrong with showing picture after glorious picture of beautiful quilts. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Our internet finally loaded all your photos this morning - wow, what a fabulous collection of mini quilts! You have a knack for making the most of every possible place to display them in your home. Have you ever counted how many mini quilts you have made over the years?

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thanks for the tour! Such nice little quilts everywhere. And is that a new postcard in your header?

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love seeing your little quilt decor! I MUST try the yardstick trick!!
    I see a few of my quiltalongs and my AAQI quilts. I'm honored!

    ReplyDelete
  33. that is what I call a house beautiful....I love how you used the yardsticks as hangers!!! the little quilt you sent me is now reposing on a small antique book table...and I am in the process of deciding where my pieces will go...photos soon!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Good Morning to you..... I would rather look, study, and smile at all your lovely quilts. Good thing you love to mini quilts, because you could not possibly show and display the big quilts. I love each and everyone,I so appreciate the delicate work that you do. Your quilting is another awesome work, your feathers are speechless. You may not think you are a decorator, but you have display each one in a special way. Just awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love seeing where they all "live". It's like when the kids went off to college and I took photos of their rooms so I could "picture" them whenever I needed to. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Such a fun tour! I'm just glad I get to see it in person often :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. I enjoyed every bit of your tour. I noticed my gift to you =^.^= Kerry picked up that magazine and I've been looking for one of my own. As you say, it has all kinds of patterns. I've asked my Mom to make the thread catcher for me; you know her and crafts! Thanks again for the awesome look! Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  38. Well that was FUN! Thanks so much for taking the time to share your wonderful quilty home with us! I'll be looking at that post again & again.

    ReplyDelete
  39. What a treat to see all those little quilts and how you displayed them! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Thank you for a fabulous quilt show!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Just consider this payback for asking to see all my hexie projects (cleanup to continue in 23 days - after my trunk show/class)!!!!! And you're welcome! :)

    Sew many pretties - I had no idea there were so many! - I can't possibly pick a favorite mini quilt but I just might steal a few of your display ideas! I've already got Mom 75% convinced to let me "borrow" some of her antique/vintage yardsticks for when I redo the walls in my quilt lab.

    I hope there are more of those magazines when I finally get near a Joann's in a few weeks...

    ReplyDelete
  42. Oh My Goodness! Do not apologise, what a gorgeous post!! As well as the beautiful minis I love all the hangers you have to display them. I forgot totally to look out for that book while at Paducah!

    ReplyDelete
  43. I am in awe!! I had to bookmark this post so I can keep coming back for more.

    ReplyDelete
  44. What a fun tour, Janet. You are quite the prolific small quilt quilter! I continue to be amazed at the fineness of your piecing and the detail of your quilting. Amazing!
    --Nancy. (ndmessier @ aol.com, joyforgrace.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  45. Oh my goodness! What a treat! Thank you for the tour of your beautiful quilts. The way you've displayed them is absolutely lovely - they are truly works of art and you've created a beautiful gallery to showcase them.

    ReplyDelete

I love to have your comments and feedback.