Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Meeting some goals!

Okay, so they are last week's goals (or last month's), but at least I am meeting them!
 I'm finally caught up on the Primitive Gatherings 10th Anniversary SAL (click on link on her sidebar). I think the next installment will be coming soon, so it was a relief to get the last wool pieces stitched down on this.






"Tiny Nines" is a finish! I machine quilted the center in a simple crosshatch and hand quilted a narrow cable in the border. This finishes at 7" square. The 9-patches finish at 3/4".

 My tiniest ornaments ever are completed (not as tiny as Raewyn's!). The Disappearing Pinwheel blocks finish at 1 1/2", and with the 1/4" border all around, they finish at 2". The ornaments I usually make are 2" before the border, so they finish at 2 1/2". You can see the basket ornie hanging between them in the photo below. Just a bit bigger.

Two more Burgoyne Surrounded blocks have been assembled (that one on the top right would not lay flat--even with that miracle product, Best Press). These blocks are inspired by Lisa Bongean's quilt shown here.
 I have the strips cut to make several more--I plan to make twelve of them. But it takes great concentration on my part to assemble them correctly, and I don't often have the power to think that hard by the time I get to sit down and sew in the evening. Since I am making the golds/oranges scrappy, and the blacks are consistent through each block, I can't just strip piece everything. It is slow going.
Once I have the units for each block made and can lay them out, it is fun to see how much they shrink during assembly. I had mistakenly told some of you that these blocks have over 100 pieces. I must have been half awake when I counted them (that is no surprise), because they each contain 97 pieces, and they finish at 3 3/4".
I've shared this photo before, but it gives you a good size perspective.

A week or so ago we had an amazing sunrise, and I missed it because I had blinds and curtains closed to keep out the cold morning air. Now I check to see what the sky looks like and this morning I caught this.
Sorry about the power lines, but it was rainy (doesn't look like a sky like that could be raining), windy and cold, so I wasn't going to run downstairs and out on the road to get the shot without the power lines. Some days I would, but not today. Besides, color like this is fleeting, and by the time I got out there, it could have been gone. It was gone within minutes, for that matter.
So I will enjoy the view with the power lines and be grateful that I have electricity on this cold, wet morning!

Until next time,
Janet O.









34 comments:

  1. YOu've been busy! LOVE those teeny tiny black blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your SAL is beautiful! I love the combination of applique and pieced blocks. Tiny Nines is adorable. Kathie sure seemed glad to receive it. You are so generous. I know she sent you some fabric. Fun to exchange! I'm thinking of starting a Burgoyne Surrounded. You inspired me but mine won't be a mini. I'd rather admire yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the mini 9 patch and the sunrise!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The smaller, the cuter! Great projects!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw that you shared tiny Nines with Kathie. Way too tiny for me to sew. I am thinking a 12' block quilt or two would be fun to sew on next time I start something new. I haven't made a Disappearing hourglass quilt yet. Congrats on meeting your goal before the next part is revealed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing work! I admire that you can work with such tiny pieces. I don't think I could ever get them straight. Love the view too, very relaxing.

    Have a wonderful and Blessed day
    Kristie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome Mom! I love how the primitive gatherings is looking...so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have my admiration my teeny tiny block lover!! Love the views from you home too! Happy creative days to you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha! I love it with the power lines in it and it is a great shot. Your tiny Burgoyne Surrounded blocks just amaze me. They almost look like a regular sized quilt from the wrong end of binoculars, so perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had no idea the Burgoyne blocks were so small but they are stunning, even if you (grossly) over counted the number of pieces :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your projects are so wonderful. I was also surprised by the size of the Burgoyne Surrounded quilt...so small but so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your tiny nines! And of course the itty bitty ornies are amazing as always! And your Burgoyne Surrounded blocks are wonderful! Once again I'm in awe. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your tiny ornaments amaze me. I could never do anything like that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, Janet - Your quilts are stunning as always and do they just keep getting smaller and smaller?? That sunrise is gorgeous!! And your Primitive Gathers SAL is coming along and looking fab-boo!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've always wanted to make a Burgoyne surrounded but yours is way to small for me. They're beautiful. You have a real talent working with such small pieces. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello sweet friend. I'm catching up on your last three posts! How fabulous the classes that you have able to attend - wonderful, wonderful, wonderful!! Thanks for sharing! As always, I'm in awe of your beautiful piecing - just lovely and so inspiring!! The sunrise is gorgeous and yes - it made me miss the mountains!!! Though the sunsets in Texas are spectacular! I'm thankful for each and every wonder from the Lord!

    Blessings and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your frank talk with yourself about not getting distracted from the tasks at hand seems to be working well. You got a lot done.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your accuracy is amazing as always! How darling they all are. Love the first one in progress, red and green quilts always melt my heart. Your sunrise pic is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love all your small scale projects! I wish I had your focus to get things done.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those tiny nines are unbelievable! My thumbs would surely get in the way sewing them. You have such a style with these....just wonderful. Thanks for sharing the sunrise---beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a gorgeous view!! I love it and I'm actually looking forward to the leaving falling so I have better veiws here.
    Your BS blocks is so AMAZING. I couldn't do this pattern in the regular size - you really are the piecing queen!!!
    The tiny ornaments are wonderful.
    Great job on you SAL, looks great - love the colors. I know it's not a Christmas quilt, but it will be so pretty to display at the Holidays

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your tiny little blocks always inspire me! I love your version of Lisa's Burgoyne Surrounded. Are those some unraveling threads there on your blocks? Please say yes ... I always thought that my pesky threads were a product of inaccurate cutting or piecing. I'm hoping that they happen to even the best of quilters (that'd be YOU, my friend!). ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great job on completely some of your goals! Love the mini projects!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. What gorgeous projects you are working on!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Aaaaaah! I love your minis!! I was thinking about them today (I have one hanging where I can always see it) and wondering if you paper piece them? And how much of a seam allowance do you use?! You've got such fun things posted today. I love, LOVE your SAL piece! How fun! And your Burgoyne Surrounded blocks are darling -- great colors!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love that SAL project! The rest of your quilting is fun as well. You've been very productive.

    ReplyDelete
  27. You've been super busy! I love all your projects, but especially the 9-patch and ornaments. Adorable! The Burgoyne Surrounded (BS?) is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Adorable and more adorableness :)
    Just love those tiny blocks!
    3/4" is a little too tiny for my enjoyment, but I sure do love the look of them!

    ReplyDelete
  29. love all your pretty projects, janet....the sew along, the little brown churn dash with pinwheels and esp the burgoyne surrounded blocks....they are gorgeous! and the sunrise photo is sooo exhilarating....beautiful sky!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Teeny tiny. So much work for such a tiny block, but oh so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love seeing your teeny tiny work Janet, amazing work!! I need to sew up my wee block into a finish - yours look great! Love the 7" 9patch too - wow! So clever!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your view, out the window is beautiful. Hard to believe that you are already into very cold weather. We (east coast) are still having beautiful weather, and the leaves are turning in awesome colors.
    I again admire you on your tiny, tiny (thimble) size quilts. You mush have good eyes. Love all your ornaments. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh Janet! That wool Primitive Gathering quilt is going to be gorgeous!!! Love all the pop of the cheddar and greens :) Tiny Nines and your ornaments just simply take my breath away! HOW do you DO that???? I am totally in love with your Burgoyne Surrounded! The colors, the size, the precision - wow!!! And even knowing they are small, the pic of that block in your hand gives a whole new perspective of the work involved in making these wonderful blocks. I always leave your post with a smile and total amazement :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Very cute little pieces. All of your projects are so,pretty.
    Great views, thank you for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete

I love to have your comments and feedback.