Sunday, July 6, 2014

Distractions

I am supposed to be back to my UFOs, after my 2 month obsession with minis to get ready for the trunk show. But what's a quilter to do when 2 of her favorite designers are running SALs at the same time? Join in, of course!

First up is Lisa Bongean's Primitive Gatherings 10th Anniversary SAL. She is doing a "pieced only" version, and a version with "piecing and wool applique". I have been trying to convince myself that I only need to make one version. Making multiples has been my downfall in the past, so I have chosen to do the pieced/wool applique version, and ONLY that version--so far. And, so far, I LOVE it!

Then Pam Buda has been running one of her Pocket Patchwork SALs. This one is called Market Day, and she offered the regular version, and a mini version. Which one do you think I did? : ) 
It is such a cute little patriotic quilt--just 16". Pam bordered hers in red and bound it in blue. I tried every red I had in my patriotic drawer, and my CW repros and I didn't feel like any of them clicked as a border. Then I moved to the blues. This was the only one I felt did anything for it, but I'm still not sure if I will leave it on. I tucked the little red dotted strips behind it to see how it would look bound in red. What do you think?

Recently I was a poll worker for a primary election. I knew turnout would be low and I needed a handwork project I wouldn't finish in the first few hours of the day. This project has captured my eye on Gayle's and Kathy's blogs. (It is from the Spring 2013 issue of Primitive Quilts and Projects.) Okay ladies, I caved!
I can't believe I actually started another hexie project. The one I already have going is 17 years old, at least. But I like this, where my old one is made in fabrics I had purchased decades ago when I started quilting and I don't care for them anymore.
This will definitely be a long term project. You can see I didn't make a ton of progress, but it is a start.

During my mini obsession in the past few months I haven't spent much time with Gidget. So this past week I found a few minutes here and there to brush up on a couple of favorite designs.
It was fun to play, but I can't believe how rusty I have become in what seemed such a short time. I need a few more practice sessions before I sit down to quilt an actual quilt.

On Independence Day DH and I drove an hour up a nearby canyon to a favorite lake. It is just a small lake and the trail that circles it is a little over a mile, and is peppered with a variety of wildflowers. We had just received our Fitbits in the mail the day before and thought it would be a good inauguration to walk the trail. It was a gorgeous day at Tony Grove.
Forget-me-nots
That was the only boat on the lake and I wished I had been in it.
Violets
There was such a variety of wildflowers, but two particularly caught my eye. We usually go up later in the summer and I don't recall seeing these two before, and they are two of my favorites. Click on the right photo to see the butterfly.

Until next time,
Janet O.




32 comments:

  1. Love the red dot for binding.....it works well to finish it off. Your stitching looks beautiful.....especially the feathered swirl. I do a practice session every 2 weeks or so....to keep the muscle memory going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um...not rusty quilting to me! It's wonderful. Your small pieced quilts are o die for! Are you sure you can't whip up more? Lol. Love em!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The red dot for the binding is gorgeous ... as are the rest of the fabrics you chose! Your Market Day is fabulous. I hate when I have a hard time finding a suitable border fabric.

    I thought about giving Lisa's pieced only SAL a try, but I'll be honest and say that I couldn't make heads or tails out of the instructions on her blog ... could be that I read her posts later at night when my brain had already called it a day.

    What a nice way to spend the 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Market Day is a wonderful version of Pam Buda's design, good job! I think that the polka dots are sweet. Thanks for sharing the wildflower walk, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, your hands are never idle! I love your 'distraction' quilts... who can resist a sew-along? I love the natural beauty of Tony Lake, what a pretty spot for a walk!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your first photo is gorgeous! Always fall for red and green :). Your mini is also terrific! Those are such tiny pieces. I like the blue striped frame. And the red dot! Looks like a lovely place to spend a quiet 4th. I hope it was cool by the water :). Pretty wild flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your version of rusty quilting puts the rest of us to shame. You're a natural with your wonderful FMQ designs.
    I never know where to focus the most in your posts. They're always filled with great projects and overflowing inspiration.
    Have you ever shared your 17-year-old EPP project? I'd like to see it.
    Both of those SAL projects look like great fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful blocks! I love Lisa Bongean's designs. I like the border fabric and binding combination on your Market Day. I am going to have to check out the Stars in the Garden, I have not decided on a direction for my hexies yet, and this is very pretty. What a lovely, peaceful lake!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have fun with the Applique. I won't be joining this one. Too many other quilts calling to me. I did finish my "Market Day". I made the full sized version. I like the fabric in the fussy cut center you used, I see you used it again for the gold border. The blue stripes make it more patriotic. I might have to go back and make the mini since I have some leftover HST's I made by accident. Nice views on your little Independence Day Hike.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So far, I have just saved patterns for the two sew-alongs. So tempting to dive right in but I have too many unfinished projects. I will enjoy watching yours from afar.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are so good about finishing things, Janet. Those UFO's will eventually get done. Besides how could you resist these new SALs? So pretty!
    Love that new hexie project. I wish I'd picked up that magazine. I'm on a hexie kick, too!
    Looks like you had a wonderful fourth. I had to search what Fitbits was - I'm so out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, how I love all of your distractions.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the blue borders--they say so much more than perfectly mitered corners.
    I too am thinking about a Fitbit. Have you learned any interesting things about your sleep?

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE, love the primitive gatherings SAL!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are working on some great projects. I'm also doing the Lisa block with wool.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amazing picture of the lake, Janet. Now that you have a fitbit, we'll have to become friends!!! I'm randyiris, I think. What's your name on it??

    ReplyDelete
  17. All right, Janet...you are inspiring me this morning!! I need to finish both of those little quilts up! Such a gorgeous lake, in itself, an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the primitive gatherings and the new hexies!
    The blog I read just before yours was my neighbor's post about being at Tony Grove. I think that is her husband out in that lone canoe :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the Primitive Gatherings SAL. I printed it out, but so far have resisted. I will be happy to follow along with your progress. What a beautiful lake. Hope you had a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your projects, as always! I am working on the Summer block of the week from PG, and would like to do the SAL as well, but there just is not enough time in the day. I printed out the SAL and maybe will be able to get to it...some day! I love that hexie project as well, but that is a band wagon that I will not be jumping on!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your little quilts are simply gorgeous! I love your version of the PG wool sewalong! Darling! But what really caught my eye was your quilt samples! You are doing an amazing job, Janet!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Read back a post and your gallery wall is really cute. Your lake looks like a pretty place to walk. Your machine quilting is pretty. It is good to keep a sandwich or two handy to brush up when the spirit moves you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. great distractions. I love the 2 new little quilts. The patriotic is so festive!
    your new hexie project looks fun -
    pretty plants, I love blue flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hellllllloooooo!! I love the Anniversary SAL!! Right up your alley. I also love your Market Day quilt but not the border. It takes my eye away fromthe gorgeous teeny tiny work you did on the main part of the quilt. I always think of a border as a picture frame - it is there to hold up the picture and compliment it, not over-ride it. Just my two cents worth for whatever it worth!! Your hexies are great and that lake is spectacular!! Oh, and so cool and refreshing!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I can believe you started another project or two!! LOL
    Love the photographs you posted!
    The sewalong is adorable...wasn't it fun to sew?!? I must get mine finished up.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I really enjoy your blog, so full of interesting items. The lake is so relaxing just viewing the photo. I work on yoyo's when I sit idle. We are making yoyo Christmas wall hanging for the senior center, each patient will receive one. Your hexies will keep you busy in your spare (lol) time. I like your patriotic quilt, see no problem with the borders, and the red polka dot gives it a good punch. Keep up with you beautiful feathers, you do such a great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thinking about you each day and praying that your mom is doing better. I don't have your email address, hope you get this note. Hope your mom has a speedy recovery. Betty

      Delete
  27. lovely choice in the SAL....i'm starting one august 1st, a small project too, and all fabric on hand but one so that is good....lovely project as usual and beautiful eye candy of your state.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Janet - I've saved all the instructions for those two SALs but haven't stitched a single block yet - sigh - someday soon I hope I can do it the same way you did - QUICKLY! Very exciting that you're tackling the little hexie quilt - love your fabrics (so far) and I know you'll love it when it's done. We camped ten miles up Logan Canyon a couple weeks ago - couldn't talk hubby into stopping at Tony Grove on our way to Bear Lake (boo) but now I sure wish we had - so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  29. The lake is beautiful, looks very relaxing. Love your minis and your quilting! Such a wonderful job.
    Kristie

    ReplyDelete
  30. For those of us who deal with winter months, summer days filled with distractions are a must!! Savor each day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I can't believe that lake is only an hour away from your house. What a beautiful place to go to!! You do have beautiful scenery where you live, Janet!

    ReplyDelete

I love to have your comments and feedback.