Saturday, October 3, 2015

Plenty of stitching going on...

...just not much time for posting about it.
 
Lori's Country Roads SAL was fun. I made mine half the size. Her pattern gave you 5" finished blocks. Mine finish at 2 1/2".
Still pondering how I will quilt it.
Then there is my second version--also made half-size. Still have to stitch the blocks together on this one.

I got my table mat from  Lisa Bongean's class completed. May I present "Winter Cabin"!
                                                                                                                                                                          












I'm so glad I got this refresher course on wool with Lisa. It has been almost 3 years since I took a class from her and that was my very first introduction to wool applique. She is an excellent teacher, but I was so overwhelmed with all of the info I was taking in that I couldn't absorb it all. It was good to have a second chance to see what I had missed.

















 I love the little snowmen on this piece. You can see here how the pattern called for them to stand with their arms demurely to their sides. Most of them cooperated.









This cheeky little snowman was feeling frisky and tried to get the wave going. : )













I didn't post these photos first because I didn't want you to wonder if you were on the right blog. : )
Back in January I first saw the Fancy Fox pattern on Nancy's blog. I loved what she went on to create from it and I knew I had to make something from it for my oldest granddaughter, who is enamored with foxes. I bought the pattern back then but didn't do anything with it until Monday of this week. The birthday is the end of this month so I figured I had better get cracking



My daughter told me that they are redoing Abby's room for her birthday and the colors will be orange, teal and grey. I am so out of my comfort zone here, and that seemed to play out in all of the trouble I had putting this together.

Don't get me wrong--the pattern instructions are excellent and the fox blocks go together quickly and precisely. The problem was that I didn't want just fox blocks, and I was back to my "fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants" design method. That always invites problems. Then I made the mistake of choosing a fabric with a very directional print. I have to say that my seam ripper has been my constant companion on this project. : )

BTW, I must add--you do realize that one of these fox blocks by itself is larger than most of the quilts I have made of late? These finish at 20x24".




 I played with my antiquated version of EQ (aka graph paper and pencil) until I finally came up with something I thought I could make. The one to the left was my first idea. I scratched that for an off-center barn raising design. That paper went in the circular file. Then I played with the idea below, and finally hit upon the one to the right.



Our granddaughter will be at our home with her family on Sunday, so I wanted to have the top assembled and hidden away before then. I will still have over 3 weeks to get it quilted and bound. My goodness, it usually takes me at least 3 months to decide how to quilt something. I hope inspiration strikes more quickly this time.

The good thing that came of all of my "resewing" was that there were plenty of opportunities to run my leader/ender blocks through the machine, and I had a healthy pile to add to my collection of windmill blocks by the time this top was assembled.
I keep my leader/ender supplies tucked beneath my extension table as I work. I can easily grab them when needed, but they aren't in my way.

Well, I think that about covers it. I may be in recovery mode for a while from my foray into modern quilting. I'm just not cut out for it. : )

Until next time,
Janet O.

41 comments:

  1. Your wool mat looks very good. A nice size.
    You look very organized with your leader/ender project. All so neat. Does it always look like that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, all are lovely. Your first Country Roads is particularly beautiful--it looks like autumn. The colors on your foxes are great! Makes me want to do another fox quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are amazing! Love both of your Country Roads quilts. And the foxes are so cool!! Great projects, girlfriend!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have lots of progress going on! I love the snowmen table mat and the foxes. The glasses are such a hoot! Lovely work on your Country Roads.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my! Your fox pattern was designed by the same gal who did the hedgehog quilt I made for my new grandbaby - though I didn't make such a large version. It was quite different sewing it, huh? But it looks like you'll have a winner on your hands, for sure! Your Country Roads quilts turned out cute - love the colors you used. And I like that the Winter Cabin piece is empty in the center so your candlestick doesn't obscure any of your beautiful applique work. I can tell you've been busy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your wool mat so adorable I want to make one now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your wool mat is wonderful--the 3d effect is so striking. Love your versions of Country Roads too. Had to laugh with you on the non-modern graph paper train! Your final design is super and I'm sure you'll manage to get it all done. Modern quilts can have plenty of straight lines quilted into them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like the setting of the foxes. The background makes a statement but doewn't overpower the foxes. The mat is precious, too. Thanks for sharing about how yu keep the leaders/enders handy. I try to do this but sometimes I end up sewing squares together rather than an actual project.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the foxes too......have the pattern and have the same size/colour issues too, but you have resolved it beautifully and I think your granddaughter will live it. Your table topper is adorable, love the minute details.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The fox quilt is too cute! I love your versions of the Country Roads SAL, especially that you made it a mini! Wool cabins are very sweet also. You have been very productive!

    ReplyDelete
  11. bonitos trabajos!!!
    el tapete de lana es precioso
    buen domingo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't finished my 1st Country Roads and you've made 2 minis! Over-acheiver, you are. Thanks for sharing. Hope you get your FOX quilt done in time. The quilting should be 'Modern' to go along with it. Straight line quilting goes fast.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Would you please tell me how to cut the fabric for the leader/ender blocks. I love the color combinations for your Country Roads quilts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gena, I would love to help you with that info, but your profile is not linked to your email account, so I cannot reply to you. If you see this, please email me (my email address is available on my profile page) with your email address in the content so that I can reply. Those leader/enders are cut with a template and I can give you ordering info, if you want.

      Delete
    2. Also, Bonnie Hunter is doing tumblers for her leader and ender project this fall. If you go to her blog, she has plenty of info there up on the free tab.

      Delete
  14. Plenty of sewing for sure. Wonderful wool mat. I really like your mini version and color choices of your country roads. Your granddaughter is going to love her foxes. Also like your new fall header. Your work always get me motivated to get sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love both your Country Roads and your table mat as well. But then you always do such wonderful work. Your foxes quilt is going to be fantastic ... even if it was out of your comfort zone and gave you fits. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your mini quilts Janet ! They are both toooo cute !!
    And the quilt with foxes is very original....... The candlemat in wool is very amazing......
    Well, you've done a great work this week ! Bravo ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are SOOOOO talented!! I love the 'foxscape' you chose for the fox quilt. And yes, I was a little surprised when I saw it on your blog -- but when I saw granddaughter, I understood perfectly!! What really captivated me on this visit was the Winter Cabin wool penny rug. VERY cute!!! It looks a little like your house, perched there on the plains!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your wool mat. I've made many of Lisa Bongean's designs but not that exact one. I'm working on one of her big crazy quilt mats now. I also do as you do with the snowman's hands up. I add my own little touch somewhere that is usually only noticeable to me. Just a fun thing to make it unique among so many of the same.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So much for not doing Lori's sew a long! You did TWO and you did them in mini-size!! They are adorable!! And I love your wool table topper! It's just adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful!! I LOVE the purple version of Lori's SAL!! And of course your mini-izing them is perfect!!!! The fox quilt is adorable!! I'm sure Granddaughter will LOVE it!! Modern is a struggle for me also! But you are adept at many genres!!! It will turn out lovely!!

    I really am going to try and put together a couple of posts this week! Tomorrow isn't even here yet and it is already gone!!!

    Blessings and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  21. P.S. The woolen candle mat is PERFECT!!!! You know my birthday is coming up!!! (Just kidding you know!!!) So beautiful on your table with that brass candle holder!!

    Blessings and hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. what a fun filled post! I really like your smaller version of the sal, especially the purple blocks. The colors combination is wonderful and unique!
    Your snowman wool piece is so so cute. I love the "hands in the air" snowman, really made me smile. The details are lovely.
    neat leader/ender project!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Are you crazy? 2 1/2 inch blocks? You certainly pulled it off and they look great. Love the foxes and have been meaning to make them too. AND, the milkweed photograph is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  24. The Country Roads quilts are truly sweet, especially the purple one.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love your Country Roads tops! Especially the purple one. I obediently made mine as directed out of red and blue. Your Foxes are so cute. Coincidentally, I just attended a presentation by Elizabeth Hartman at a quilt show in Hillsboro, OR. I enjoyed it, but my friend was over the moon with it! As you know, modern is not my thing, but I can appreciate some of it. Another funny coincidence is that just today a blogger friend from Michigan mentioned that she got a book by Elizabeth for her birthday! It's almost spooky.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh Janet, I Love the half-size QAL!! I was thinking of doing another one (still need to attach the final row on mine) but in half-size too! Hopefully, Fall will bring a slowdown to life and obligations and make room for sewing room time!! Your wool pieces are exquisite!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Those fox blocks are larger than they appear in the photo - she will love it, makes it worth the effort. The stitch along is cute, as are your wool projects. Variety is a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  28. My, you have been busy!. I love your miniature versions of Lori's quilt-a-long. They are beautiful. Your wool mat is lovely as well. I have seen that fox block before, but your setting really makes the quilt. It is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  29. The foxes are truly perfect Mom! She will love it :)
    Love the mini purple too!
    I'm so happy that you do wool now...the mat is so sweet and cozy...even with snowmen on it :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Each of your projects are so appealing -love the colors in your first two mini's - those soft purples are terrific!!
    Very fun sewing happening in your world.
    Wispy milk weed pods just say fall along with the color changes - nice image.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I had to laugh when you said the fox blocks were bigger than most of your minis! I think your final design is fantastic and she will absolutely adore it! I was quite frustrated with myself yesterday - I had no leader/enders ready to sew while working on the doll quilts :( Somehow I missed the sew-along. I'm heading over to check it out since yours is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  32. PS - what size does your half size quilt along finish to? I'm wondering if it would fit my dolly bed...

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow, loving everything you're working on and always fun to see what you're sharing! I missed out on Lori's QAL but downloaded the instructions so one day....?!? The wool mat is just too cute and those foxes maybe out of your comfort zone but they're looking good and I'm betting the quilt will be a big comfort to your DGD!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Janet, I really like your Winter Cabin, it is setting in the proper place, with the candle sitting on it, makes a striking show piece. I have a friend that is wild about foxes, makes me think of checking into a pattern to make a wall hanging for her???? Yours is so cute, I am sure you will make the correct choice in your quilting and will make one granddaughter very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I always enjoy your fabulous posts Janet, always so much to see, inspire and ponder on! Love your Winter Cabin, you have done a beautiful job of it, I'm drooling over it major-ly. I'm always intrigued by how you downsize your projects, I'm itching to do that too - one day!! Very cool foxes, interesting to see your workings of them - bet it seemed odd making such large blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Love your Winter Cabin. The snowman wave is so fun. I see that Temecula is having another Christmas SAL. Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I'm in love with those little foxes too! And her Hedgehog block. I've bought them both and hope to make quilts for both of my oldest granddaughters - just wall quilts though. I just LOVE your design for this - it's perfect! And she's going to love it :*) I had to laugh at your description of your "eq" software LOL!!! I'm also pretty darn jealous of your winter tabletopper - wow that's CUTE!!! Could I possibly add another project to my current play list .... hmmm ..... the snowman may just swing the balance in favor of it :*)

    ReplyDelete
  38. I think your foray into Modern Quilting was pretty successful! I have a lot of friends that are die hard repro lover's but have also made those foxes--wonder what's up with that?? I have to admit I've been tempted too--they are just so darn cute. Your little quilts are all adorable!

    ReplyDelete

I love to have your comments and feedback.